Notices

WARNING! Do NOT drink mouthwash!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy WARNING! Do NOT drink mouthwash!

I've read some posts concerning the drinking of mouthwash when nothing else was available. Please don't try this. I did and wound up in a coma for 3 days. And I hadn't drank what I would consider an awfully lot of it. I found out the hard way that mouthwash is extremely toxic. I'm still surprised about vanilla extract. I never tried that because I didn't have any. But I was aware of the alcohol content because years ago I read that S. King drank it when there was nothing else in the house.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same thing goes for rubbing alcohol.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And for those hand sanitizers too.

The goal of our SR members is to live without any
toxic alcohol ...alcohol damages your mind and body.
That's true for anyone....not only alcoholics.

Glad you survived your coma....thanks for your experience.
Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the absolute darkest days of my alcoholism earlier this year my body was rejecting booze so badly that I couldn't use toothpaste infused with Scope without getting sick. That was pretty bad
Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My xAbf was drinking alot of mouthwash when he was trying to hide the drinking. I remember having to tell the family counsellor this when he went into rehab - and his parents looked at me like I was crazy. I will never fully grasp the control this disease has over people.
I am glad you made it through your incident. I truly wish you the best.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Mouthwash... I always did look at the Alcohol content %, as some contain 20%, some are 5%, but yes, it's very dangerous. A coma? Scary thought :shiver:
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Many mouthwashes contain fluoride and flouride is a poison when ingested in certain quantities and can be fatal - which is why mouthwashes/toothpastes have warnings on the bottles/tubes - do not swallow.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Somehow I survived drinking mouthwash (trying to disguise the odor.....). at was over 6 years ago and my last physical, about 4 months ago, came back great. I know it wasn't me keeping me alive and in good health..... By all means, don't drink the s......
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started drinking listerene as a goof really. Just for the hell of it go figure. I hated the taste of alcohol anyway and listerne was cheaper and more readily available, so I figured why not.

I would keep it around and only drink it when I ran out of other stuff and I was too drunk to drive. I've gone through bottles of the stuff and other than some funky intestinal issues right after drinking it, it never messed me up too bad, but it got me really drunk. I think listerene is like 40% alcohol.

I'm very happy I don't have to drink listerene or $150 bottles of champagne anymore either for that matter. There is not much difference between the two sprayed on the back of my bathroom wall other than tint.

I buy non-alcoholic mouthwash now anyway.... just in case.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the heads up. Glad you are better. That must have been horrifying.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never did, and never even considered it. I know what kind of alcohol is in it, and I was never that desperate.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just FYI. Country music star Keith Whitley died from his alcoholism in the early 1990's. His wife, Lorrie Morgan, used to frequently handcuff their ankles together when they went to bed so he wouldn't get up in the middle of the night and sneak drinks of mouthwash/perfume/aftershave

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone thought drinking mouthwash was only for vagrants or down & out people
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mouthwash I never would ever drink...but vanilla extract I have, many times actually. I even still take a swig or two while baking with it.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sugar82....Welcome!
g good to see a new member
Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

A friend of mine said that he hide his whiskey in the hair liquid bottles. The bottle is black and no one can see the liquid level inside. His wife could not find them for a long time. He drunk it every morning after shave. He told me at the last meeting in AA.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i did this back when i was 19 and couldn't buy alcohol legally.
i got sick as a DOG one time and i remember my ex trying to keep me awake and called the poison control center. I recovered the next day after lots of water but will never do that again...
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

With my experience doing this, and I only did it once, I drank it (don't remember what kind it was it was quite a while ago) and about 15 minutes later I was walking and my body just rejected it. I violently vomited until it was all out of my system and then i felt better and was ok...it was a very stupid desperate thing to do NEVER DO THIS!!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know I'm not really sure. I was just browsing pictures and saw it and thought it looked like a wonderful relaxing paradise somewhere far away
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I ran out of vodka and proceeded to drink a bottle of rubbing alcohol in that drunken confused state of mind. When I woke up I was in the ICU, the nurse standing over me said that I was lucky that I did not go blind or even die from it. After that I went to rehab and have been sober for 8 months now. Looking back I can't believe that happend, but I just wasn't my true self then.