Notices

so sad and lonely

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
alcohol does sabotage everything. and i am finding it impossible to stop completely. why is this so hard?
It just is, it's extremely hard. Try making an appointment with your doctor and explaining you are trying to stop drinking and explain the sadness and withdraw symptoms you are running into when you stop. There are meds to help with those things. Just my 2 cents. I've been sober a whopping six days so I don't have much credibility here but I can tell you that your doc can help and don't be embarrassed to explain it to him/her, alcohol issues are medical issues just like having an ear infection. I understand the sadness though, I'm a 36 year old male with fairly thick skin emotionally, but during the past six days I've felt like a heartbroken, lost little child. When they start up on the news about the Gulf oil spill I have to turn it off, it's overwhelming....just an example. Good luck and go see your doc!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Katie I know exactly how you feel.
Like you I've kept this a secret too. Just know that you're not alone! there are so many people going through the same thing as you! Just know that you made the right choice to quit and that it can be only be up from here
hugs
Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is only 8 days since I have given up and it is funny that Texas Native says that he feels heartbroken like a lost child on his 6th day of giving up. I have never missed work due to a hangover, but yesterday after 8 days of quitting I could not get out of bed. I felt tired, imobilized and unable to face the day. Today I feel the same, so called work and told them I will be in late. I just feel like staying in bed. If you keep busy Katie that is great. Hang in there you are a champion
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Kaatie....
Many of us had false starts on our way to sobriety.
Please re start your journey....and remember....

Yes! you too ccan win over alcohol....

I'm so pleased you went to that AA meeting
they will welcome you again with support.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,

Please don't be too hard on yourself..I've tried countless times to stop the insanity of drinking...it's not easy...but it honestly can be done!! Try to do something different...pick up a hobby if you don't have one,get involved in a charity.....take a walk in your beautiful city...be a tourist!! and last but not least...pray for strength...

Big Hugs!!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone! I am in counseling now and trying to sort out the emotional issues that have been messing up my life for a while. And also, I made a HUGE stride yesterday by letting three good friends here in S.F. know that I use alcohol to escape, and I need to give it up because it is damaging my life and health in major ways. I asked them each to respect that decision and not to enable me by drinking with me or inviting me to clubs/bars. I think they already knew I have issues with alcohol, just not the extent. This was a huge step for me because, after saying that, I will be too embarrassed to drink around these people. Accountability, I guess. Unfortunately, two of these friends are big drinkers/partyers. So I feel they may drop out of my life once I am not showing up in that scene anymore.

Which is exactly why Carol is right and I need to go to another AA meeting. I plan to go at least tomorrow and Friday. Today is hopefully the last Day 2 I will ever have...

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good for you, shows a lot of courage! I'm on day 7 and plan on attending a meeting this evening. The previous 6 days I was too cranky and moody to attend, I probably would have complained about the texture of the parking lot!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

yes, very very cranky. i also couldnt sleep last night and woke up feeling extremely hot and sticky at 3 a.m. gross. I can't wait until the end of the first week. hopefully it will be better at that time?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

yes, very very cranky. i also couldnt sleep last night and woke up feeling extremely hot and sticky at 3 a.m. gross. I can't wait until the end of the first week. hopefully it will be better at that time?
I was sweating at night so bad, especially between days 2-4 I was washing my sheets daily!! We all react differently, but to me day 7 (today for me!) is when I finally feel like the physical stuff is going away. Getting through the first week is very tuff but it's sooo worth it.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Another day behind me. I went to the shrink today and we talked about a lot of family and personal issues. I felt emotional, like I was about to cry, when I left. But that felt better. I realize how much I have NOT been dealing with during the past 5 or so years.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Best of luck

Another day behind me. I went to the shrink today and we talked about a lot of family and personal issues. I felt emotional, like I was about to cry, when I left. But that felt better. I realize how much I have NOT been dealing with during the past 5 or so years.
Crying is a natural human response, Katie88. No reason to feel embarrassed or the like, with your emotions coming out are a bad thing. Good for you for realizing how much you've been avoiding things for so long. Best of luck and don't give up on yourself.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Katie....

I read this somewhere
Crying is natures way to cleanse your mind
Laughter is for healing
Good to know you are moving forward...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Katie88, I think it is so great that you are stopping drinking

When I stopped drinking, I lay in bed, I stared at the wall, I cried several times a day. I was miserable! But I felt like there was a little bit of hope ahead, like the only way to get out of the darkness was to stop drinking. And if I drank, I was jumping back into the darkness.

So, I didn't drink, even though I felt completely miserable. And things did start to get better.

My experience was to take it a day at a time. Don't drink today. Just today. Don't drink today.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I didn't cry yet, but i felt like I was about to and I wasn't sure why. Tomorrow will be day 4. If I can get to day 7, it will be the first time in years. The weekend will be hard because I will be around family...who are convinced I have no problem with alcohol though I have tried to tell them several times. I am just going to tell them I have too much work to do to drink because I can't deal with the "alcoholic" conversation right now. It is too exhausting and my body already feels like I've been run over by a truck, which I guess is a withdrawal symptom...

I hope everyone had a nice day. Your encouragement means the world to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hmmm...
How about telling your family you are on a health kick
and won't be drinking?

It's true and who can refute your choice to become healthier?