Notices

New Member, day 2.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member, day 2.

Hello, New Member here.

I have been drinking heavily over the past 6 years or so and trying to quit for the past 2 years. I really didnt like the hangovers! Over the last 6 months I discovered drinking all day on some days off. Normally I would just have a ****** hangover but around 6 months ago it turned into a 3 day binge and then like a 3-4 day recovery. That recovery was horrible. After that i didnt have a drink for maybe 30 days. I have no idea why I decided to have a drunk after those 30 day I was bored I guess...

Anyway I was just fighting not drinking or having a bad hangover..

Then I had another 3 day binge, that was horrible.

Then same thing fighting not drinking or get a bad hangover.

On several occasions I would go several days to over a week not drinking.

On sunday new 2-3 day binge and im suffering from it. This is day 2 of recovering and I am feeling much better. No sweats atm and stomach pain going away. Will not really be fun at work tomorrow.

Well this is the 1st time i have really shared any of this story and it needs to stop! I hope having a place like this to share stories and kinda document how its going will help!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! What help are you getting? Have you talked to your doctor, thought about counseling or meetings?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi RC -- welcome. This site has been a great help to me in quitting drinking, and I hope it helps you too. People here have a lot of different experiences and from what I've seen some have experiences like yours of binging for a few days and then stopping, starting again, etc. So, I hope it helps to know you aren't alone and things can get better.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you have found this site - it is a great place for support and information.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Welcomes!

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Welcome! What help are you getting? Have you talked to your doctor, thought about counseling or meetings?
No I have not talked to my Doctor yet. I wasnt planning on going to any meetings. I have thought about counseling.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum

Yes...you too can win over alcohol
many of us are doing that.....

Here is a link you might find useful

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum

Yes...you too can win over alcohol
many of us are doing that.....

Here is a link you might find useful

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers
Thanks for the link, looking into this.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi RC, welcome to SR, well done for taking the first step, there are lots of wonderful people here to help you along. Keep posting.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome to SR!! this is a great spot to start your journey!! I was a drinker for over 20 years...and I've been sober for 5 months.....and have never felt better!! there is hope!! you can do this!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been doing some ready, some people say that eggs (for the cysteine), a banana (for the potassium), and fruit juice (for the fructose) or a sports drink (for the electrolytes, sugars and salts) would help speed up the recovery? Or should I just stick to water?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, RCHelis! I spend the last year or two doing pretty much the same thing as you: I would go a day or two without, drink moderately on a few days, and binge on the rest of the days. The hangovers starting lasting longer and were getting worse, even if I didn't drink that much. It's really our body withdrawing and trying to cope with the damage we were doing.

It's really helped me to come here and I know you'll get the same kind of support I did. Keep reading and posting and be sure to load up on B vitamins, too. I drank mostly water the first fews days, but fruit juice couldn't be bad, either.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR RCHelis

I also recommend seeing a Dr, and at least investigating counselling or some form of recovery group.

From my experience recovery from detox takes as long as it takes - but eating healthy, getting enough rest, and a perhaps a little light exercise later when you feel up to it, are good ideas for anyone at anytime.

D
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RCHelis View Post
I have been doing some ready, some people say that eggs (for the cysteine), a banana (for the potassium), and fruit juice (for the fructose) or a sports drink (for the electrolytes, sugars and salts) would help speed up the recovery? Or should I just stick to water?

Thanks.
I have found all of these to be helpful - and I hate bananas.

The reason people recommend that you see a Dr is that alcohol withdrawal (some people refer to this as a hangover) can actually kill a heavy drinker. Alcohol withdrawal is several times more deadly than opiate withdrawal for example. So if you continue to feel bad please go to the Dr.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

The others pretty much summed it up but I wanted to say "welcome!" as well.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please accept my welcome as well!

Your story sounds extremely similar to the end stages of my alcoholism.. within a couple of years, I was waking up at 5AM, reaching for the bottle of vodka on my bedside table before I even opened my eyes- the day held continuous drinking until I passed out.. and the vicious cycle of day after day of avoiding hangovers by drinking more and more and more continued...

Please hear me: It doesn't get better- it only gets worse. And worse. And worse.

Get help now before you get to the point I had gotten to. You CAN beat this thing. If it's AA, counseling, therapy, some sort of rehabilitation program- whatever you need to do, do it. And give it your absolute all.

The fact that you're posting on here shows that you're not in denial of the presence of the problem. Now act.

I hope the very best for you.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey RCH Glad your Here. Just stay here and keep posting, you will be shocked how much SR can help you.

XO
Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes!

Starting day 3...

I didnt get much sleep at all. Most of it I had those weird dreams. Those are really strange; you wake up from a bad dream and as soon as you close your eyes and drift off your right back in that dream. But you know your in that dream and to get out of it all you need to do is open your eyes.

My symptoms are a little better. Mostly sweats and raw stomach. And that tingle sensation in your limbs.

Thanks again!