Notices

Here I Am. . .AGAIN!:-(

Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I Am. . .AGAIN!:-(

I am back and starting at Day 1 again. I am back to hiding my real bottle of rum in the garage and keeping the one for show in the cupboard. I have no idea what life without alcohol feels like anymore (beyond 2 weeks - 2 months ago). Who did I think I was that I could handle a beer or two and not fall right back into my old tracks? Superwoman?

I'm going to pour the rum down the drain right now (seems like such a waste and I'll be really mad at myself come tonight), but good grief. I'm 45 years old. When am I gonna grow up?

What do people drink at night as a replacement for alcohol that satisfies you? I need some new habits?

Gonna need some help here.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I actually didn't just replace my beverage of choice..I had to switch up my entire routine. I spent the hours in the evening that id normally drink, with going to the gym..every night. It made me pretty thirsty for water! I also found I enjoyed different types of sodas, it had been years since I bought a soda without thinking of it as a mixer!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am also back after thinking I could have one or two. Day 2 for me. I also got rid of all the beer and wine as well as the glasses (they were cheap) and the wine cork opener. I also am jumping right in and posting and participating instead of just lurking. Hang in there! We can do this.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an
alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and
people like you here in SR
I havent found it necessary
to pick up a drink of alcohol
since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely
grateful.

For me I had a good 28 days
in rehab away from alcohol.

Today I can look back on
what transpired at that time
in my life and feel nothing
but graditude.

People stepped in to help
me when i couldnt help my-
self.

That 28 days gave me time
to swet out the toxins in my
system with exercising right
there in rehab.

We had swimming, running,
badmitten, ropes....all physical
exersion for the body.

Rehab for me was a controled
inviroment away from temptations
of any kind that would normally
make me drink.

That 28 days gave me time to
pick up tools and knowledge
of my alcoholism.

Of course when i was released
back into my regular inviroment
it was I now who had to work
the hardest if i wanted to stay
sober.

And i did because if not i was
to be sent to a halfway house
out of state away from my little
family.

I went to any lengths at that
time to stay sober. I did what
ever it took one day at a time.

I embraced a recovery program
with steps and principles and
a fellowship of members learning
to stay sober just like I.

Some 19 yrs down the road, I
continue to incorporate my
recovery program in my every-
day life always remembering
that alcohol is cunning, baffling
and very powerful and if i let
my guard down then i will surely
drink or die. Or end up in the
looney bin.

I choose to live sober then die
miserable.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've built your life around drinking. If you quit, you need to reinvent your life. Don't be scared, think liberated. Imagine yourself as a book. Write yourself a new world without drinking and step into it.

Think beyond what to drink at night. Why do you even think about that? Once you stop drinking you'll find you have many other things to do. Worrying about what you are going to drink is just a symptom of where you are now.

Don't worry about tomorrow. Just focus on getting through today. You can do without your rum. Really. Please keep posting. We understand what you're going through.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im 45 and need to grow up too. I am in a fog, this is the first week, I am totally lost and feel like Im in a weird dream that is nice but terrifying. I keep thinking I can have a little....just a little....but then I wake up with a hang over and barfing. I am bleeding internally from drinking, I expect it to be a very long time before I get beter. I damaged more than my brain. Thanks for this website, keep sober and healthy. drink water and excercise I guess....;-) Stay healthy and keep healthy, or loose everything and die early in life. poor that down the drain!!!Its poison
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, fakesmiles and gracie...there comes a time in life, when you say enough is enough, after over a decade of everyday drinkin, that point was reached here...am same age as you guys..mid life crisis reached..enough of ailing and feelin rotten..health startin to go down the pan..not to mention finances..scary stuff i too like you guys at the end of my tether...well 60+ Days in an feelin good about myself again, the best thing ive ever done...health wealth confidence returning, the first parts the hardest...then gets easier..best of luck..
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day three... Have you tried any programs? Pour it out, good for you- don't detox alone. Get some outside help, you can't do it alone- nor should you have to.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Welcome back, Smiles...

For me, I find any non-caffeinated drink relaxing after work at night. I especially like sprite mixed with a splash of juice... sort of my "mixed drink" for the evening, LOL. Occasionally tea, but I always have to double check about the caffeine.

I was able to keep my routine by making that change, but others have also changed their entire routine to separate from the drinking life of the past. Whatever works for you... be it change of location, beverage, activity... we're glad to have you back and don't beat yourself up too badly. We've all made mistakes.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi fakesmiles - I thought I was smart enough to drink moderately, too. I can't tell you how many times I've given it "one more try." It doesn't work anymore and I could see that health issues were going to be the next stage. We don't have to live like that, not caring about ourselves anymore and suffering through each day.

If you have to take it a minute at a time or stay glued to SR (like I was), you can get through the day without a drink. And see a doctor if you don't think you can handle it, OK? We're here for you! Glad you're back!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back fakesmiles

Yeah, it's hard to face life sober - and scary too - but you're not alone.

It is about learning a new way to live, and about support too.

I hope you, and all you new guys and returnees, will use us for support and advice whenever you need it.

For some, SR is just not enough support...if that's the case don't be afraid to look into some kind of recovery programme (AA, SMART etc) or counselling, outpatient rehab...whatever it takes, you know?

Noone needs to do this alone

D
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am just crying at the amount of genuine support here. I can not find that anywhere else, except for with my best friend. Thank you thank you thank you.

I made it through yesterday without drinking, mostly because I had to finish homework for my masters classes and I needed my brain. Today will be tougher. Thank you for the routine ideas. I can see I'm going to need to completely change mine AND last night I drank iced green tea! I slept like a rock (which I never do when I'm drinking).
We can do this!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for sailing this ship with me.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey FS -we're all in this boat together.

Keep sipping on that tea! I found a great herbal tea called Yogi tea and they have tons and tons of different kinds. I even found a place on the internet that sells it for 1/2 - 1/3 the cost. I like having all kinds of new beverages to try out as I'm doing this.

So good to hear you're feeling positive today! Keep going ODAAT!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I LOVE the Yogi Teas! My grocery store has them, but what's the website? I quit buying them as they are expensive. I honestly like the one that removes toxins. Funny that my body should crave that one. . .

I'm sooooooooo tired and foggy today. . . but I'm gonna make it through this Day number 2!!!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by fakesmiles View Post
I am back and starting at Day 1 again. I am back to hiding my real bottle of rum in the garage and keeping the one for show in the cupboard. I have no idea what life without alcohol feels like anymore (beyond 2 weeks - 2 months ago). Who did I think I was that I could handle a beer or two and not fall right back into my old tracks? Superwoman?

I'm going to pour the rum down the drain right now (seems like such a waste and I'll be really mad at myself come tonight), but good grief. I'm 45 years old. When am I gonna grow up?

What do people drink at night as a replacement for alcohol that satisfies you? I need some new habits?

Gonna need some help here.
Welcome Back Smiles.. Try Erb Tea With Honey Maybe? (it Might Help)
Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I decided to stop my active alcoholism....
I walked daily......to an AA meeting.
That's the way I found my fantastic new lifestyle.

Recovery is an awesome adventure....quitting alcohol
is only a tiny bit of your improved healthy future.

Many of us had false starts on our journy
... Glad to see people trying again.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Fakesmiles am drinking yogi detox tea as i type, i also have the calming, and bedtime. They help! Also you get an affirmation with each one. Love that. Let's see the 2 i have in my tea right now says

1st) "Don't sleep counting sheep. Count blessings, then sheep."

2 ) "Inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness."

See what i mean.

God Bless, and good for you to keep trying.

XO- Beth
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've built your life around drinking. If you quit, you need to reinvent your life. Don't be scared, think liberated. Imagine yourself as a book. Write yourself a new world without drinking and step into it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I had to do that and am still doing that every day. And it's so much better to do anything and everything sober.

Rewrite your life. It's yours to do with as you please, so write yourself the one you want.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hi fakesmiles! I'm glad you're back here and it's nice to meet you. I don't really have much to add--I agree with those who say it's good to keep yourself occupied during those hours that were "drinking hours." It was really hard at first but is getting much easier now. I also would recommend hibiscus tea (which is decaf) & san pelligrino for your evening thirst.