Notices

Do I have a drinking problem?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I hope you are doing ok.....Welcome.....
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome brdobu

This is the test referred to...it's not conclusive of course and it really depends on you being honest in your answers, but it may help you with some perspective

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

For myself, you're way in excess of recommended daily intake - that in itself is cause enough to worry.

D
I toook it and it said..

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test Answers
Total score of: 5 (3-5, Early to Middle Problem Drinker)

haha, so that test is rubbish.. I answered every question completely honest... And I was drinking a 2 gallons of vodka a week for 4 years.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

ImReadytoQuit, I am not sure the test is rubbish, but it does not mean that because you and I scored 5 we are not alcoholics.... It means, looking at the questions, that our drinking problem has not yet caused incredibly bad consequences yet. Nobody says that when you start drinking too much you hit the bottom straight away. Some take many years, others seem to be able to make it with some binges in very little time.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey brdobu. Your situation sounds quite a bit like mine. I too am 25 years old and drink heavily and/or use (or used to use) pot and pills on a daily basis. I don't post here often, but I do read the forums somewhat frequently.

You say that alcohol doesn't control your life. I can't say that it controls mine either, even though I drink heavily on a nightly basis. Yeah, alcohol doesn't control my life. But it does control my nights, every night. I drink until I pass out, and nothing positive or remotely productive happens once evening time comes around. There was a thread here a long time ago that addressed the definition of a "functioning alcoholic". I'd say we (or at least I do) fit into that definition; yes, I indeed get what I need to get done in the daytime, and I do a damn good job of doing so. I exercise daily in the same way that you do, mainly because I like to do it. I "function" in that sense. But at night, it's time to drink.

Also, just because you don't feel the same concerns of dependency from weed doesn't mean it isn't serious. I was a VERY heavy weed smoker on a daily basis for about 5 years, and I used to snort lines of valium, oxycontin, and other pills while mixing them with alcohol as well. I can tell you that while it was fun, it had a significant impact on my daily activities and mental health. I do still smoke weed on rare occasions, but its now mainly a battle with alcohol.

Sorry for the long post, but since your habits seem similar to mine, I just thought I'd share. The point is that I know that I have a drug and alcohol problem, so I'm pretty confident that you do too. Good luck to you.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd also like to add that I too don't personally approve of the MAST. There are really good questions on there, and it's a decent measure for some people I suppose, but definitely not for me. As a long time, daily alcohol abuser, a score of 4 doesn't accurately reflect my problem.