Notices

I'm back

Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

Well, its been a few years since i've been on here. I thought I could do it on my own but I finally realized that I cant. I do have a problem with alcohal and when I think of all the problems in my life I feel like i can trace it back to drinking.
I'm ready to completely stop this time. No more "once and a while" drinking or only saturdays. It doesnt work for me.

I'm really freaked out now because i've got a DUI case and am going to court a week from today. Also a bigger problem is I refused the breathalizer because I was an idiot and thought that would be better. But it made things worse and they want to take my license for a year.
I need my license for work to drive to job sites and my truck is like my office.
So if i cant drive for a year, i will lose my job, and pretty much my life is over.
I have worked so hard and feel like i through it all away. I dont understand why these dumb gang members are allowed to drive and all i want to do is work.
I am even considering just driving to work on a suspended license and take the gamble because its better than being unemployed.
But anyways. I started going to church again which really helps calm me and not worry as much. But I just hope everything works out.

And i'm not drinking which is a good thing. And I truly love being sober. I realize when I drink i'm not myself. I dont like that. When i'm sober I feel great. I just dont know if its too late now.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just curious, would you have stopped drinking if you didn't get the DUI?
Thanks for sharing what you're going through. I remember having a court date and waiting for the trial to start was unnerving & I hit the bottle pretty hard.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
Just curious, would you have stopped drinking if you didn't get the DUI?
Thanks for sharing what you're going through. I remember having a court date and waiting for the trial to start was unnerving & I hit the bottle pretty hard.
Yea I probably would still be drinking. I would only drink on the weekends but, I bet if all this didnt happened I wouldn't have slowed down until something finally did happen.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll keep my fingers crossed that things will go well for you next week. Sometimes you just have to believe that God has a plan. Congrats on staying sober. I've got x10 days in today. I should have had about a billion DUI's
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Yadude,

I am not a lawyer but a coworker of mine received her second DUI about a year ago. She went through the ringer but she could still drive to work and back.

My guess is that they will let you drive to work and back but not much more.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR....

hope you stay sober....and not all jobs require you drive.
Driving on a suspended license is jail time in my area.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Feel for you man...

I was thinking hardship license for work but I did a bit of google for California and it looks like a test refusal may mean you forfeit the right to apply for a "critical need license" in California.

CAN I GET A CRITICAL NEED RESTRICTION?
After a 30-day suspension period, you may apply for a critical need license only if you:

completed a PAS or chemical test with a BAC level of 0.01% or more, and
have a critical need to drive.
A critical need restriction is very limited (§§12513, 13353.8CVC). To be eligible for the restriction you must verify that:

a specific critical need condition exists, and
all other transportation is inadequate.
Only first offenders who completed a PAS or other chemical test are eligible to apply for a critical need restricted driver license (§13353.8 CVC .01% BAC actions)
Driving Under the Influence

quotes are from CA DMV's website (link above)

You can always get a lawyer and think about fighting it, all depends on the circumstances of the arrest, priors if any and what you can spend.

Its smart not to give the cops evidence but they really jam you up in court for BAC test refusals.

Best of Luck
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support everyone. I have a really good lawyer and he has been working on my case. I dont know whats going to happen but I hope for the best.
But I really want to stay sober now. Its just hard when everyone is out there having a good time on the weekends. Thats what gets me in trouble.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome back~

I'm awaiting my court date for my 2nd dui...it's un-nerving, but deserved in my case. I went ahead and started my "one year hard suspension" when I got arrested and I have to ask for rides and carpool to a low paying job. B/c of my arrests, I've had to make major adjustments in my life which have been uncomfortable and to most, would seem like like steps down.

You could say my ego took a major hit and I've got more coming...but I'm sober and didn't drink over it.

...I'm now almost 6 months seperated from my last drink and I've got AA to mostly thank for that.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hi Yadude,

I am not a lawyer but a coworker of mine received her second DUI about a year ago. She went through the ringer but she could still drive to work and back.

My guess is that they will let you drive to work and back but not much more.
Refusing a breathalyzer is a totally different deal, especially in CA. You could get acquitted of DUI in court and the DMV can still take your license away, independent of what the court does. This is like the state bar taking the license to practice law away from a lawyer. A criminal conviction is not needed for them to do this.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome back!!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Refusing a breathalyzer is a totally different deal, especially in CA. You could get acquitted of DUI in court and the DMV can still take your license away, independent of what the court does. This is like the state bar taking the license to practice law away from a lawyer. A criminal conviction is not needed for them to do this.
Yea thats what i've been going through. There is a separate trial that I already had with the DMV and they denied my lawyers attempt to dismiss it.
So he took it to the next level and it is being sent up to Sacramento for another shot at dismissing the suspension.
The main problem is I need to drive for my work to manage different construction sites. So without my license my world is going fall apart.

I know I screwed up and probably sound lame but it helps to talk about it. And I'm just glad i'm not drinking right now.

I dont even know what to do on a saturday night except to go out to a club or bar and party. hahaha.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a thought, but if they take your license, could you hire a driver, like for minimum wage, so you can still do/keep your job?