Notices

Booyah!!! 30 days...part deux

Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booyah!!! 30 days...part deux

Seems I was a naughty bloke wit' me words in my original thread. To sum it up:
30 days, done alone and with no program.
What did I do? Started weights, kettlebells, BMX street, running/interval sprints, prayer and fellowship at church and staying out bars so that my short temper didn't provoke me into putting some wiseassed expats in bandages.

Oh and to anyone who was offended by my snipe about your uh...program. I apologize.

Next stop, kicking some ass for another 29 days. Day 60, I'm gonna punch you right in the grill.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congrats on your 30 days. Everyone is different and while some are able to live a sober life without a program, there are others who benefit greatly by having a program available. No need to criticize each other. Whatever works is what's important.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suki, thanks for helping me to figure out what to say.

DR, I'm happy to hear about the 30 days like anyone else would be, but this seems like "sticking it" to somebody. I can relate to the feelings, based on what was described about the local group, which wasn't very inclusive. I also have people I don't exactly write odes to, but it doesn't help me. Thinking about them, period, doesn't help me. It takes up precious real estate.

If there's something to focus on apart from flipping the middle finger (which is a temporary satisfaction), then great.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!
I hope it works out well for you.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I am not going to AA or doing the Steps, but someone else will be able to answer that. My hunch is that there must be lots of people that have at least set out to do it that way. Maybe they have a change of heart when they get to the 12th one, I don't know. I suppose "service work" applies outside of the AA rooms, but you would think there would be someone telling you you needed to be in the rooms some of the time to be a benefit to a newbie.

I don't mind the words you used in your last post, but somebody else may not like one of them.

Have you told the "senior" people at the meeting you resent how they make people sit in the corner until they're ready for you?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
I don't like the term Dry Drunk since I think it's AA's way of saying your not doing it our way....

I'm all about anyone qutting drinking in anyway that works for them. I'm not in AA but feel like going back to school, reading more, working out and doing other things are helping me to grow as a person. I don't consider myself a "dry drunk" or someone who is not recovering and just staying sober. My friend took me to an AA meeting and presented me with a 6 month coin and it was nice of her to acknowledge my accomplishment and while at the AA meeting I truly enjoyed hearing others thoughts and the speakers stories.
However in the parking lot someone came up to me and said "you will never make it on your own." I was having a super night until that small moment. Maybe I took it the wrong way, for instance I think Brazilian Jiujitsu is the best fighting style in the world personally. However if a boxer just won a fight I would not come up to him afterwards and say your style of fighting is no good.....
Like I said, I am all for people getting sober no matter what way they go about it!

I posted this in another forum the other day on here. I'm not working AA either but your language is kind of harsh and seems to be bashing it. I support your "program" and you should support AA even if it is not for you. Also no need to use the N word here!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha that's really funny, but I can totally appreciate your kick a** attitude. We don't all subscribe to the same motivating factor! If it works, work it- IMHO. I'm glad you're getting your aggression out by way of athletic activities- keep going strong... but hey, if you feel you might give in to the urge, a meeting or two might get you through... you don't have to go all or nothing Or, post here and let us know- I want you see that day 60!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have to admit that I agree to an extent with Detroit. All this constant preaching about how you should join somebody's cult gives me the strength to abstain more. Solely based on not liking that others would force their beliefs on me. When I wrote recently that I struggled with some cravings many here lectured me that I was unsuccessful because I hadn't become "One Of Them".

This join or die attitude gave me additional strength to abstain while also not joining anything. I felt more power to not drink just so that I could come here knowing I had not joined anything and still was sober.

Congrats on your 30 Detroit.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Ok, 30 days kicks ass.. that is great. I have been sober for almost 2 years, and not in a 'program' but that does not say that I am not working on recovery. There's lots of ways to 'do it' (get and stay sober, to recover), in my opinion, but I could not have stayed sober for long had I not addressed my entire life in a different way other than just change my beverage choice, ya know?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been in this forum for the last 30 days or so and haven't seen one post that requires anyone to join anything. All I've read is suggestions to help some person suffering from the throws of the same thing I suffer from, and I appreciate all the suggestions although I dont follow all of them. God Bless
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why have some post been removed?

They violated this....

From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If anyone finds sR's guidelines too be too restrictive
there are many sites that allow disrespectful posting.
It will not be done here....
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems I was a naughty bloke wit' me words in my original thread. To sum it up:
Here is what you said yesterday
Yo dude, I want to change what I wrote since I was feeling cocky and all, but how the hell do I edit my post?
Sooo....I removed it for you, sent you a PM
It was your request that it be changed.

Glad you are moving forward in sobriety....
No one here cares how you do it...just keep going.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
And.....

Here is what you said yesterday

Sooo....I removed it for you, sent you a PM
It was your request that it be changed.

Glad you are moving forward in sobriety....
No one here cares how you do it...just keep going.
Thank you.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
I have to admit that I agree to an extent with Detroit. All this constant preaching about how you should join somebody's cult gives me the strength to abstain more. Solely based on not liking that others would force their beliefs on me. When I wrote recently that I struggled with some cravings many here lectured me that I was unsuccessful because I hadn't become "One Of Them".

This join or die attitude gave me additional strength to abstain while also not joining anything. I felt more power to not drink just so that I could come here knowing I had not joined anything and still was sober.

said so eloquently with the tact I lack...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Detroit.. I don't wanna rain on your parade.. Congrats on the 30 days.. And like yourself, I'm not doing the steps, although meetings seem to help.. I've done 3-4-5 even 6 months at a time.. One time a year..

I can say this truthfully, I've NEVER met an alcoholic that had DECADES of sobriety without working a program..

So keep that in mind, this disease is tricky.. Keep us updated.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Detroit.. I don't wanna rain on your parade.. Congrats on the 30 days.. And like yourself, I'm not doing the steps, although meetings seem to help.. I've done 3-4-5 even 6 months at a time.. One time a year..

I can say this truthfully, I've NEVER met an alcoholic that had DECADES of sobriety without working a program..

So keep that in mind, this disease is tricky.. Keep us updated.
Thanks bro. I realize the dangers of Liquid Satan. And I agree about the meetings being helpful as well, in the sense that I hadn't sunk to the depths like some of the other people so that when I heard their testimonies, it made me scared of the potential future I could have, as well as made me feel relieved at the same time, that I hadn't let it get that out of control.
But, I just didn't want to go back and hear the same stuff day after day.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post

Yo man, that's all I'm tryin' to say. And...same as you, that IS what powered me through these last 5 weeks, the fact that I was doing, and still am doing, it solo.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Let's keep it going Buddy. You do realize that now we become a Party Faction ourselves
Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I needed three day thirties before if got enough traction to get to where I am Noe (11 mo). I have alot of experience with aa, though do not currently use it az a tool. Looking back, part of me wanted to degrade AA as a cult, abunch of screwed up people, religious nuts. This perspective would come and go for a couple months as I gained perspective that was previously lacking. There are many ways to make it work, and for many AA is agreat solution and a key element to making it happen. It's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. There is also a very heavy addiction transference when one initially drys out. That's where the steps come in and/or cbt, "spiritual work" etc. You're rewiring yourself to a reward other than a mind altering substance and like any new skill/behavior it take time and practice to become automatic/intuitive (you no longer consciously have to try). Sounds like you've made an amazing start, you're in a very similiar place to where I was and I very much relate. Hoping this is you're last 30 day anniversary in a good way!