Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

To those with experience, after a binge... lose your routine?

Notices

To those with experience, after a binge... lose your routine?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question To those with experience, after a binge... lose your routine?

Hi, I've come off a brutal binge for about 16 days... I was just wondering if anyone, like me, once you're no longer drinking and not so out of it/etc... ever like, get back into their lives but forget how they usually did things, their routines, etc ... ? I'm just wondering because uh... I'm always confused anyway but this time I feel messed up mentally. Perhaps this time I broke the core, who knows... man, what a waste of my life!...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt like that alot while drinking. Once I cleared my head up a little though, I quickly forgot the pain and went right back to the booze. For me, it took a fundamental re-allignment in how I thought about drinking in order to get traction towards recovery. But even then I needed help from others who had been there before me. Everyone is different, though AA is always a good place to start.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I do forget things. It's scary. It all comes back (eventually, so far) but I've got to be doing damage to my brain. My dad was an alcoholic for many years, and to watch him with dementia at the end of his life (and have it contribute to my drinking - gee, way to work through that issue) was really tough. I just wonder if he would have been like that had he not been an alcoholic.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last night was the first night since getting sober that I took a taxi from downtown to my house. I couldn't remember how to give the guy directions to where I lived for some reason. I laughed at myself because I distinctly remember slurring out how to get to my house when I was drunk.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paulos,

I think the answer to your question is of course.

Are you ready to do something different or do you just want to keep coming on here complaining that you are wasting your life?

By something different I mean- counselor, rehab, detox, AA meeting- if you don't change anything nothing changes you will be back here in 2 weeks saying you are coming off a binge again.

I'm sure you will respond with excuses or ignore my post- but I do get where you are at right now and its either reach out for help (because you can't do it alone) or just keep doing what you are doing.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've poisoned your body for 16 days straight. I've done that before and yes, it certainly will take a few days before you feel "with it" again.

Agree 100% with Em002
Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A 16 day binge is no small feat....IDK how old you are or how long you have been drinking, but you have physically damaged your body....it will take time to heal, possibly months.

All I can do is agree with Ronan and Em...and strongly suggest you go to your doctor, tell him/her the truth about how much you have consumed for how long and get some help to to heal yourself....getting some LFTs and some other blood work-up now may scare you enough to get you started on the right path, but you need to decide what you really want to do. best to you.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
man, what a waste of my life!...
Good luck man. Sounds familiar. quit for a bit then drink.

I'll pray you get some willingness soon. You can stop all that crap, feel better, be happy and stop the wasting of your life today...... if you want to.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Em002 View Post
Are you ready to do something different or do you just want to keep coming on here complaining that you are wasting your life?

By something different I mean- counselor, rehab, detox, AA meeting- if you don't change anything nothing changes you will be back here in 2 weeks saying you are coming off a binge again.

I think this is good advice.

Wishing you the best, Paulos.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks. Day 1 once more.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Hello everyone... on Day 1, really glad of it too but ... there's too much change happening.

My 77 year old semi ******** grandfather is moving out as he insulted/threatened me very VERY vulgarly and my mother did NOT let that go, he'll be gone on Saturday... my former stepfather being back in my life more than usual is a bit of a change and I am NOT GOOD with change, then my mother wants me to take over my grandfather's disgusting crummy bathroom because she cannot stand that I use the one upstairs due to the noise I make when I shower everyday.

I think it's been a period of 2 weeks and a half of the binging, I just cannot believe how I could have fallen back into it... but domestically it has NOT been pleasant. Man, and I just feel ... an incredible anger lately, and depression today. I just wish ... everyone could get along and there was no friction. and here I go back to feeling like crying. C-ya all.

Hmm, this was posted almost two weeks ago and you say you were on a two week binge then so really you have been binging for a month or better... I'd get your liver enzymes tested, that may help you go to detox, rehab and then work a program AA or something else as AA is not the only way for sure but defiantly a route.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've only been sober a short time, but in those roughly 70 days I've seen a good few 'day 1's from you. Now I don't really know your full history but I'm guessing it's been a similar story since you joined in 2007.

Now, the important part is that you're still coming back and haven't totally given up. But that doesn't mean anything if you're not going to look into some sort of program of recovery. It's just going to be day 1 again and again unless you're absolutely willing to change/tackle some very fundamental things within yourself.

Good luck Paulos
Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Paulos,
You are so young...it is time to give up the booze. You seem like a very talented game player and have a quick mind. Don't waste those brain cells one day more. Binge drinking can kill you. Please take care of yourself...you are so worth it. I have read some of your old posts and see a strong man and a very smart one too.

Bless you,
Babsy

Last edited by BabsyGirl; 06-16-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what means a sixteen day binge for you, but I was a five year binge of my own since 2005.

I didn't wake up and drink, didn't drink at work, just started everyday at 5 pm and drank until I passed out. Next day would be the same. I took maybe 15 days off in five years.

Now that I'm sober I am having to relearn how to enjoy the evening. Watching TV sober seems like a strange and new concept.

A guy up there was pretty forward with you. I'll be a little 'forward' too. If you want to stop this madness you can. I never thought I could stop but I did. You can too.

Some people need AA, some counseling, or a variety of other methods. I needed to realize that I was killing myself to stop. Well, everyone knows that, right? Well after a frightening trip to the doctor I knew it for myself. It was no longer a far-off c'est la vie sorta thing. It was right there in that office.

I am 28.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well, I don't like the pushers and pounders of AA/NA and just people in general with their dogma of "GET HELP OR GET OUT" so I don't listen to that stuff even if they're trying to help in their own way, however I am on Day 18 without programs and I knew I could stay sober with my family, friends, faith and myself. I just needed time :].
Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Once I admitted and accepted I am an alcoholic, the powerful part of going to an AA meeting was to keep grounded, get support and learn from others.

Its there if you need it.

Believe me, the "get help or get out" piece got my attention when my wife said that to me 7 years ago. I chose the help part and I have been sober ever since and I am still happily married.

Keep going with sobriety brother and the nice thing is you will notice a continual increase in clarity, concentration and focus. My job performance improved dramatically as well as my personal relationships.

There will be tests and what worked for me was to have that support you referred to in your post.

Dave