Notices

Distasteful commercial

Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Distasteful commercial

I am in shock. Am watching the World Cup on ABC. I just sat threw a commercial for Bud Light. It takes place - not on a beach, not grilling out, not at a wedding - no, this commercial is set, folks, IN A HOSPITAL!!!

Jack Black - type "party dude" and wife are visiting their banged up uncle? And there is a big cooler full of Bud Light? And they start tossing them around to all the patients? And head into surgery where they tell the operating surgeon to head over to room whatever, cause there's Bud Light?!

I swear I am completely baffled. What conference room full of advertising executives sat through this pitch and all decided it was a fantastic idea? To set a beer commercial in - a hospital?!!

I feel like the world, or maybe it's the USA, has gone crazy. Just insane.

Anyway, I had to vent. I am going to write to ABC and also to Bud Light - it is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. What's next, a beer commercial set in a playground?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Luckily for pop culture there are still a few groups that can be made fun of with impunity - fat people, crazies, and drunks. Nothin' like taking the easy way out.

Unfortunately it may not be far from the truth. My beau is an anesthesiologist and has text messaged me from the operating room. Once he sent a pic of himself in a mask, (at least it wasn't the patient!) If cell phones are banned for drivers, certainly they should be banned during surgery?! No cell phones, no beer. Duh!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was the point of course, it was just wrong. But examining it through my own lens of experience... I would have thought it funny once.

At one time, I would have especially related to the commercial with the beached jetliner on a deserted island. Everyone was looking for the radio and emergency equipment... but someone found the beverage cart, filled with Bud Light... and a very grateful man, holding his cold bottle of beer, proclaimed, that now, everything is gonna be alright...

At least those commercials put it right out there, the sneaky ones are the subliminal messages. The guys in black tie in a mid town bar, real men know what to drink, Ketel One...

Vent away Soph!!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I don't blame you for feeling like it's rotten content. The company is going to find ways for its product to be purchased, and it sounds vaguely like they are using a message that says "it's going to be OK no matter what, look at this fun" as a way to do it. Of course it's not humorous for everyone.

For some reason I am able to watch Two and A Half Men and not get offended by every other scene that has to do with alcoholism and making light of it.

Sometimes it's helpful for me to remember I can't eradicate everything that I let myself see as an enemy. I'm not successful all the time at this, but in this case I don't see the company or the advertising idea as a villain. Alcohol itself isn't a villain for me, it's something I can't have. I don't know if that is part of my personal surrender with regard to alcohol or what it should be called. Or maybe it is my perception of the advert in a more technical way, it IS a fiction, and we (society) take in fictions. All depends on how we process the energy in the fiction.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The rest of the free world can do as they please.
Alcohol isn't the problem. The way other people see and consume alcohol isn't the problem either. The way other people are or aren't affected by alcohol isn't the problem either.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by pongo View Post
Luckily for pop culture there are still a few groups that can be made fun of with impunity - fat people, crazies, and drunks.

Me, me, and me!

It's okay...this is coming from the same group that thought up the talking frogs.

FYI, I had a friend who's grandfather was the head guy at a Bud distribution center. They always have Bud in the fridge and beer on tap. No joke.

No doubt a bunch of alchies come up with this crap.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about Two and a half men - Charlie Sheen's character is unquestionably an alcoholic, and everybody is just OK with it - ha ha - look at the funny drunk! Also on CBS monday night - how I met your mother. Apparently, these young professionals are at the bar every night or drinking beers at each others apartments every night.

Another beer commercial that I have trouble stomaching is the one where a guy buys a 12-pack, and they need a reason to celebrate, so they have a big party to celebrate his haircut. Funny? Well, sure, but I know I used to buy beers to celebrate Friday, to celebrate a good day at work, to console myself after a bad day at work, to celebrate monday night football, because my favorite show was on, and on and on and on.

I guess I'm just venting too - free country and all, but I wonder what percent of beer companies' business comes from alcoholics versus social drinkers.

But I'm not blaming them - they didn't make me suck down bottle after bottle. That's on me.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember watching "Dallas" in the 80's and in just about every scene he was pouring himself a bourbon. In real life he ends up with a liver transplant because he drank so hard.

Being up here in Canada I'm a big fan of Canadian football (CFL). I swear to God last season every commercial break there was an ad for Weiser's whiskey. I'd hate to be a recovering alcoholic & football fan whose choice of drink was rye whiskey as you would lose your mind!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mercurial, I distinctly remember that being pointed out while watching Dallas. Somebody was always pouring a drink in that room. And of course, we remember Sue Ellen and Gary.

And then there's Coronation Street. Just about everyone always says yes to tea and winds up at the Rovers a half hour later.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

"What's next, a beer commercial set in a playground? " It's extremely possible, alcohol is just too popular... and commercials can almost get away with anything these days with marketing ... people love to party, urgh... little do they know it can ruin lives... maybe they like that it ruins lives in fact.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess it was the juxtoposition of beer and hospitals that got to me. Anyone who has spent time in hospitals... I mean I have a great sense of humour too, and am an absurdist a lot, but this one really irritated me, in a way that talking frogs couldn't.

Also I am a mother of a 14 year old boy and it bugs me that they use a character based on Jack Black, who appeals to younger crowds, to advertise Bud Light (in the hospital.) Like -"hey, it's zany fun! Here in the ER! Pop a bud!"

The Lacross murder at UVA was clearly alcohol based and that boy had been clearly alcoholic for awhile. Natalee Holloway's murder began with a night partying. Kids are getting all the wrong messages from the media, and yet remember the "wardrobe malfunction" - flash of breast on television - the FCC swoops down so fast it makes your head spin. Just so off.

I'm just sayin' - !
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm old enough to remember when nearly all beer commercials were geared for middle aged men, having a beer (in a bar) at quitting time. The setting was never anywhere other than a bar. Then some wizard decided that old farts were set in their ways and could not be persuaded to change brands, so they went after the collage kids and have been at it ever since.

So now it's beer anyplace, any time. The message, your life sucks, you just don't know it, here, open this and fasten your seatbelt, cause cool things will SURELY happen.

Why are there no alcohol commercials with all WOMEN popping tops and getting crazy? Beacause that would appear unatural, and too close to the truth, where all you would think is, these girls are getting drunk. But if it's just guys getting served beer BY women, well then that's ok.

So now were popping tops in the ER with characters that appeal to MINORS.
Brought to you by the same people that remind you every Holiday Season to "Drink Responsibly" Aaaarrrrrrrggghhh!!! Rant over. Thank's for listening.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like a funny commercial to me. I like Jack Black, though.

I mean, this is a joke right? they aren't actually advocating handing out bud light in a hospital?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If cigarettes and cheeseburgers were handed out people would be sh!tting a brick.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I understand where people are coming from when they say "Alcohol is not the problem," but I think it IS a problem. The statistics on alcohol-related abuse, traffic deaths, health costs, etc... is astronomical. It affects so many people and in my opinion it's alot worse than cigarettes ever were. I understand it will probably never be unlawful to drink, but I hope and pray that our society wakes up and stops glamorizing it. My high school daughter told me the other day that the only people who don't drink in high school are the ones that are shunned. These kids aren't drinking "responsibly" - their brains haven't even matured yet.

Wish there was an answer to this. I'm just hoping/praying that the movement towards a healthier lifestyle eventually comes to include being proud of living sober.

OK, calming down.......
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Mercurial, I distinctly remember that being pointed out while watching Dallas. Somebody was always pouring a drink in that room. And of course, we remember Sue Ellen and Gary.

And then there's Coronation Street. Just about everyone always says yes to tea and winds up at the Rovers a half hour later.
You watch coronoation st in Toronto?!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, Soph. They're already in a hospital and then must be punished further by drinking Bud Light? Ouch! :P

speaking of TV, I love Mad Men but it's tough to watch that level of alcoholism. At least they ocasionally touch on it as a plot point as being problematic.

GG
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My pet TV peeve?

The professional cooks/chefs who gaily add alcohol to food
mistakenly chirpting...."It quickly burns off"

Incorrect information. And harmful to others
who can not drink alcohol for medical problems.

Any parent giving a child alcohol...in food or drink is abusive.
JMO
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
The rest of the free world can do as they please.
Alcohol isn't the problem. The way other people see and consume alcohol isn't the problem either. The way other people are or aren't affected by alcohol isn't the problem either.
Amen!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Talking

[QUOTE=pongo;2624398]Luckily for pop culture there are still a few groups that can be made fun of with impunity - fat people, crazies, and drunks. Nothin' like taking the easy way out.

Don't forget rednecks (!). Those commericals are directed to a young audience who have a DIFFERENT sense of humor, to say the least. Since I got sober it ceases to amaze me how annoying & infantile the majority of the commericals are. Not trying to sound snooty here-the ones that were on in my twentys weren't Emmy material either. Guess I'm offically an old f**t.