Notices

I lose.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Fall 100 times. Get up 101 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Sleepie,

I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get the job and understand how low and frustrated you must be feeling..
The others above have given some really good advice and I particularly like BullDog777's idea! I know a lot of people who are making decent money on eBay - one is going to flea markets, buying anything related to African art and selling it for a huge profit worldwide! She's making a fortune and buying this stuff for pennies! Another is buying t-shirts and jazzing them up and people are paying good money for them (including me ;-)!

You could also speak to the Human Resources dept/contact in the Art School to ask what were the reasons why they decided not to go with your candidature, what you could have done/said differently, or why they went with another Candidate. It's your right to have access to this information. You could ask whether they have any suggestions to make which could help you with future interviews, etc. I'm working in recruitment and you'd be surprised how few people call me back to find out why they didn't get a particular job and those who do call back already make a good impression as they show they are interested in the job and I try to give them some good tips/info that might help them if applying for other jobs in the future (if I can help you with any of this please don't hesitate to send me a PM).

Keep going girl! Get yourself that Sponsor! Get on your bike and get for that healthy lunch with your friend - I'm sure you'll feel much better after it! Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well, on the pain in the butt thing, it sounds like you are saying you are used to having a hard time staying on the same page with people or that there is some issue with communication. Maybe you are even seeing your immersion into Art as one of the ways you are somehow an "issue." You do remember that alcoholics are all different types of people, right? And that just about every alcoholic thinks they are so unique in their situation until they begin to see things differently? If it's possible to relate to somebody here and in a meeting, I don't see why a sponsor would be so unreachable. I don't have experience in choosing a sponsor, but other people can explain how they picked theirs. I have even heard people say that the temporary sponsor they got worked out great for them for some reason. Also don't forget about "progress, not perfection." As smoeone who expects more out of myself typically, it meant a lot for me to accept inches instead of miles while I was getting better. (And am still in the process.)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Selling things on ebay sounds fun, I've known a few people with a knack for that as well. I'd have to try and figure out what to sell. I have no skills that way. Bulldog, I have set aside my paint brushes- believe it or not, I really feel it's a chore and I don't enjoy it. I have some interest in writing.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all of your input. It's nice to know people are out there, reading and rooting for me... How vain is that?! I truly appreciate it though.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And, I am actually more fortunate than I thought- I DO have some friends! Thanks to them the weekend has been much more pleasant than it would have been otherwise. And today is another day one- in part thanks to them
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When i read your post I wanted to post to tell you to keep fighting through the dip and that as long as your being proactive looking for a job that *eventually* something will turn up even if the situation seems desperate. I didnt have a chance when i first read it but im glad to see you're a bit happier now! Cling on to your support network, being unemployed is absoloutely horrible and theres been times in my life when things have felt pretty desperate but as long you as keep pushing on at least you know you're making positive steps.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Sleepie, glad your feelin a bit more positive about things, one little thing i enjoyed and made a little income from, was buying and selling on ebay, livin in a big city/town, with lots of junk stores, charity shops, i used to trawl them daily, i still do on my tea break from work, buyin a little bric a brac, unusuals, brand goods, used, ie, nike,gap,adidas, footy jerseys,etc, goods that were cheap, that i could re,sell an make a pound on, still do,find it enjoyable, i used to trawl the categories, of the said goods, id call it homework,to get the idea of price ppl,were paying for these goods, the best sellers,the amount being sold, make a little list of details, then armed with the info,proceed to scour the used stores, pickin up such goods, you can do it with anythin if you do your homework on the goods, keeps you busy, an hopefully makes you a pound or two, also jumble sales, car boot sales, were often everythin is dirt cheap,an you can buy small job lots,etc, you could try your pictures up too, best of luck.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Glad you posted sleepie, been thinking that I wish I could promise you things would get better once you stay sober, but I cannot. I can say that in my own experience things got a hell of lot better once the plug was in the jug. I only tell people what happened to me, not what I think will happen to them.

And the funny thing is when I entered AA I didn't know jack about the promises and to be honest could care less about them now. I went into AA wanting to just not drink, for one damn day. That was better than where I was at. And AA gave me more than I could have ever dreamt. And I am an ungrateful jerk as well. So no promises except AA works.

Again, I am rooting for you and look forward to your posts.