Notices

Excuses and Blaming others

Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excuses and Blaming others

My pattern of drinking was this. Stop at the bar immediately after work, drink 2 - 4 pints of black and tan, pick up my wife from work, grab a 6 pack and go home, drink some more.

I usually had beer left over from the night before that would pile up by the end of the week so i could skip a day or two of picking up the extra six pack. My goal was always to drink fewer than six beers per day so i could function the next day at work.

Over the past six months before stopping, i found myself waking up more hungover and out of it. I discovered that my wife was replacing the beers out of the six packs as i took them out with the extras I had in the back of the fridge. This resulted in me drinking more than planned and losing track. So, i ended up drinking 7, 8, or 9 beers instead of the 6 planned (including the pints I had at the bar).

Shortly before I decided to give sobriety a go, I discovered what my wife was doing. Her goal was to save space in the fridge. I remember yelling at her one morning, "Stop putting beer back in the six pack. I can't keep track of how much I'm drinking". Now I'm thinking it was a stupid excuse. The fact that I was counting beers speaks for itself. It is also telling that I would end up getting so intoxicated that i couldn't remember. Some mornings I'd wake up with two or three full open beers scattered throughout the house untouched. My memory was really starting to go. Feeling better now though.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Heh... we come up with some crazy stuff don't we?

My best drinking buddy used to yell at the bartenders who wanted to empty his ashtray when we were at the bar. He'd have 1 cig per drink so he could keep count of how many he was drinking. I never liked keeping count...I was drinking to get to a specific feeling. Sometimes it took more booze than others so counting didn't fly with me. LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you are well. Hope I don't offend you but that tale really makes me laugh.

You've got make allowances for women they are wired to keep the house in order, not control your drinking! (joke mods)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kurtrambis View Post
Hope you are well. Hope I don't offend you but that tale really makes me laugh.

You've got make allowances for women they are wired to keep the house in order, not control your drinking! (joke mods)
I am well and find it funny myself. The fact that it took me so long to figure out and i would open up another beer every time i opened the fridge is funny. Maybe my wife was trying to get me to waste beer so i would have less for the next day. She also would put the ones I left out back in sometimes with the cap back on so I'd get a bad beer every now and then.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
have you and your wife made plans on how best
to spend the extra cash?
Blessings to the two of you.....
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I'm in graduate school and doing it without loans. Both of my step sons are in college. We are doing some work on the house. Probably taking a trip to the Dominican Republic later this year. Quitting smoking is next. This money will go towards the mortgage. We are also saving a lot of money by not going out to eat every Friday since we would end up ripping through $80 per week doing this. Wife is not an alcoholic but would have a couple of $8.00 drinks every Friday while I would drink the expensive beer. It hasn't been long enough to realize the savings yet. While things have been kind of tense because of my moods (she has some mood issues as well), one thing i am thankful for is she does not care about alcohol at all. She can take it or leave it, and hasn't put me in a position where I want to drink. It is difficult given the fact that i am sure she will have a drink or two at some point and this may trigger some negative emotions in me. She isn't the one with the problem though. I guess we will have to cross that bridge at some other time. I've avoided all situations involving alcohol since i stopped.