Notices

7 days

Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days

Okay, it's nothing to write home about but I have seven days alcohol free as of tonight. And I have been to AA meetings every day except Sunday- and two on Saturday... It's a start. This is good, right? There's hope? For some reason I'm feeling scared. I saw a man I was romantically interested in today and we went to a meeting together and we even gained some sober time together about a month ago- but he has been hitting the bottle. He's not about to change and he went and drank and fooled around with some girl 20 years younger than he is- an old drinking buddy. It was just so depressing. I could see that he was not going to change, that he is truly in the grip of something. He's been drinking for decades. The whole thing just makes me sad.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of Course its good. Its really progress. Everyone on this board with 20 years started with one week, month, etc. I can only speak for me but you couldn't give me enough money to go relive that week. So stay sober and expect that you will be thrown a lot of difficult stuff. This thing with you interest or whatever... well I don't want to sound cold. But forget about him. You gotta grab onto this thing no matter what anyone else does. I remember when I got sober I was still frustrated an old Ex of mine was drinking. Haha while I was still shaking barely able to think strait. Just take care of yourself and all that stuff will finally be pulled into perspective...

Much Love,

Clayton
Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think many of us can remember when one week seemed impossible. (wasn't too long ago for me)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 days for me too Sleep. Good job!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 7 days. I fully remember those first few days and thinking "how am I ever going to get through all of this???" Well, here it is almost one year later and I wonder how I ever got through nearly 30 years of steady drinking!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For an alcoholic to stay away from one drink for one day is an accomplishment and absolutely something to write home and everywhere else about.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

7 days is not good it's fantastic!
THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!
Best,
Andrew
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week. It is something to be proud of.
There is a reason they tell you not to get into relationships at first in AA.
Just focus on yourself, and don't worry about anyone else. It is difficult enough without throwing someone elses problems on top of it.

They call it an emotional roller coaster, and that"s what it is. I didn't realize it was happening to me. But looking back I can see just how up and down I was. Just stick with it and things get better.
Life really is so much better sober
Fred
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all I know I shouldn't be too offended... Most of his decisions are inebriated and part of me wonders if he's jealous that I am capable of attaining sober time, and that I do go to meetings. Even when I really don't want to! But you know, he kind of had my heart there for awhile. I am, or was, clinically depressed... The guy made me laugh. That's hard for me to do! I take meds and everything but, they don't stop you from feeling! Nor should they. Anywhoooo.... Day 8 for me today and thank you again for your support!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think the first week is very hard. Congrats to you for getting past that rough first week.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first week is always a tough one, great work on making it through it. Looks like you are doing the right things to keep things going.

Its sad to see the people out there, say a loving prayer for them.

Take Care,

NB
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations, sleepie! Making it through that first week was a HUGE deal for me. And I agree 100% with Nevertheless - it's enough just to focus on you and your sobriety right now. As they say "keep it simple!"
Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

good for you Sleepie!

..and hey, you do this thing right and you'll never have to relive another 7 days like the last 7. They just keep getting better and better.

Way to go, and keep on going.... !!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, good morning and Day 9 You all are the best I have therapy today and I wasn't planning on it but there's no reason not to go to a meeting so I'll do so!