Notices

I want to drink!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

Someone advised me to listen for the stories of recovery rather than the stories of drinking, or drunkalogues as they are sometimes called. I also try and go to meetings that have a purpose such as 'As Bill Sees It', Steps meetings, Voices in Recovery and so forth, rather than general speakers meetings where people just tell their stories. Listening to people list off what they used to drink and how much fun they had would be hard for me even now.
Trying to surround yourself with people working on the SOLUTION to their alcoholism is light-years ahead of hanging around folks who want to live in and reminisce about their insanity from the days they were in their addiction. Finding a group of people actually doing that can be tough. That's why I try to advise newcomers to try a bunch of different meetings.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have tried a number of meetings. So there are now two that I believe I will attend. One women's and one "young person's"- (anyone under 40). I've been navigating my way around. They usually read something and then it's discussed. I listen for the most part, I did not say anything at all until yesterday.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thats awesome sleepie, I log in these days and am excited to read the updates on your journey, thanks!

Me, I love a good drunkalogue as a preview at least, when I hear them it brings back the pathetic state I was in and allows me to identify. I love the reminders of where I end up if I take ONE sip of booze.

I like hearing the 3 parts of the message that I was taught to share, what it was like before, during and after.

The recovery part is of course necessary but I always seem to get my relief from a good horror story about booze. Never want to head back there. My buddy talks about being released from the police station in the morning on a beautiful summer day with a big urine stain on his pants because he wet himself passed out in the cell. He tried to go back in the jail since there was a festival going on in the center of town that day. Cops laughed at him and told him to beat it. The emotions he describes (shame, guilt, remorse) make me think about never drinking.

Meh, to each his own,

Rock on sleepie..........
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wow thanks, Chops- that's so cool! I am now inspired to further attend meetings Today's day ten and biking home from a job I had a fleeting desire to roll into the local liquor store for a sweet beverage, and then it vanished, as I immediately thought of the physical consequences. And, I thought- "been there, done that". It didn't seem so comforting then