Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Going off booze again, got a question about the mind...

Notices

Going off booze again, got a question about the mind...

Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Going off booze again, got a question about the mind...

Hi all,

From my posts you may have figured I've been relapsing, but I have done a heavy amount of binging in the past month and a half. I'm ... as usual, just afraid maybe I gave myself brain damage; I know it's a broken record with me but I just feel so ... again I say, brain fogged... misty, hard to learn new things ... think this will clear up once I'm off booze for a certain period of time? Wish I had never went back in 2009! Freaking life issues... >_>!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The brain can take a lot, but there comes a day when it's done for: those are the medical facts. That thing about alcohol killing brains is no joke. It's one of the reasons I do not drink. There are other more positive reasons as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

I guess what I would say that a visit to the doctor is advised to receive a professional opinion on any potential neurological issues.

My experience.... For the first 90 days or so I would cry watching commericals, I would search for my mobile phone that was in my hand, I was a mess and literally could not remember things nor hold it together. Making lunch was a challenge and so was ordering out. It was ugly.

Things got better, I was just foggy from booze.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paulos, there are so many times you get the chance to quit but the problem is you dont know which relapse or drunk is going to kill you ! And yes if you continue to drink i promise it will kill you, very few promises from me in life but that i gurantee.I wish you the best and hope you fiind a program or support group that will help, very very few are able to recover alone.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Better late than never.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

See a doctor, quit drinking. It doesn't sound like you're 'relapsing', you're actively drinking.

I remember watching this last season of "Sober House" where Dennis Rodman had an MRI of his brain and the atrophy was frightening.

We don't get those brain cells back, but you can stop them from dying (from drinking), now.

I hope you're done soon, Paulos.. because it WILL get worse.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How long ago did you quit drinking again?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Hi all,

From my posts you may have figured I've been relapsing, but I have done a heavy amount of binging in the past month and a half. I'm ... as usual, just afraid maybe I gave myself brain damage; I know it's a broken record with me but I just feel so ... again I say, brain fogged... misty, hard to learn new things ... think this will clear up once I'm off booze for a certain period of time? Wish I had never went back in 2009! Freaking life issues... >_>!
Hi Paulos,

Good to see you getting off the drinking again. As you know already from before it does take some time for the brain fog to lift. Can be many months for some [such as it was for me] or almost like just a few days for others. It makes no difference which is which for whoever, what's important is not worrying about "brain damage" for its own sake. You can function more than enough to have a great life, so don't sweat it, okay. I understand [from other posts] you also have ongoing issues about your mind, and your health, apart from the booze and it can be difficult to get through it all just coming off a binge. You've already sought medical treatment from befor for all those concerns so let them know that you have stopped drinking now! Its good for them to know too about you being sober, Paulos.

Just relax some and put your attentions to staying off the drinking. That is the best way forward today and your tomorrow will just become the new today, so don't sweat everything in one day.

Godspeed, ((Paulos)), and congrats on your getting sober today!

Cheers!

Rob
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks everyone, especially Robby and Problemchild for those words. Robby, I just sweat too many things, I hope ... it isn't over for the Paulos heh, and I'll tell you my actual LIFE SCENE has been HORRENDOUS.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Paulos, a LOT of people come from "horrendous" situations.. not everyone turns to drugs or alcohol. I did for way too long, it's what you do now. If nothing changes...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like everyone else said: the head stuff will clear up if and when you stop drinking. In my last few months, by far my heaviest, I would scratch my forearm and could barely feel the nails going across my skin. I would think I was seeing things out of the corner of my eye that were not there. If my dog barked or the doorbell rang I would twitch and jump.

I remember thinking "Oh no! My brain is going haywire!" It was. I stopped drinking and all those problems have disappeared. I decided I didn't want to see where that was going.

I also watched that episode of Celebrity Rehab where they took the scan of Dennis Rodman's brain. Wow.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Look up Post Acute Withdraw Syndrome. You will see the possible effects of quiting drinking... one of them that I experienced--you think you are loosing it/have lost it. Its all normal. See you doctor. Go to a meeting (if your interested) and keep posting here. Best of luck...

Clayton
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm just gonna go out on a limb, but I doubt you've done significant brain damage. (but you very well might if you continue)

I know a number of former very heavy drinkers who seems to have their brains still intact.

I remember after a night of binging years ago. I couldn't find my way out of a parking garage. I drove up and down that thing, almost in a panic. The list goes on... of how drinking can reduce your mental capacities.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i often leave my keys in the front door, get very forgetful, think im hearing voices..

im sure if we stopped for long enough these things would fade.