Notices

Need Someone to Say

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Someone to Say

something other than "a drink won't put the money back in your account."

Long story short, I'm over 10 months sober, by grace of God and some AA dabbling (I know, I should go to meetings regularly and work the steps, but it was going so well..)

On Wednesday someone smashed the window of my car and stole my purse, with EVERYTHING in it, while I was taking a walk at a fancy golf course (shouldn't hang out in rich neighborhoods, I know.)

One bad thing after another, today we realized that though we'd stopped checks, the thieves withdrew almost 5,000 from our account yesterday. I'm leaving for a trip abroad for a week tomorrow. Tons of stress. The bank says we should get the money back; I've got id theft protection now; all the credit cards I could think to replace are replaced. Really, everything should be okay, and I am really grateful I and my family are safe. Money is just money.

But man do I want to drink like I haven't since I put it down 10 months ago. It's like the little voice was just hiding, not gone. My heart is kind of aching and the desire feels a bit like a hunger.

I'm not rationalizing that it will fix anything. I just want some relief from stress.

My husband has tried so hard to help, but I really need to hear from you guys. You were there in the early days (even if I just lurked a lot). I hope you'll be here tonight.

Peace,
Pinky
Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Pinky.

You already know how it goes when you drink and you know you don't want to go back to that.

Hey, if you want some relief from stress, there are other things you can do.

Cook yourself a nice meal or go out to eat
Read a book
Call up a good friend
Watch a comedy
Surf the internets for random funny stuff

Come join us on the whiners thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-39-a.html

It's a good group of people.

Take care of yourself, Pinky.

Last edited by Bamboozle; 06-05-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Uh...a humorous comment might have been insensitive...so it's gone
Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on ten months sober.
Before you even think about drinking, play the tape all the way through. Past the hangover and remorse in the morning to going back to what it was before you quit.
If your leaving tomorrow it's probably to late to go to an AA meeting before you leave. But it would probably help.
As Bamboozle said get something good to eat. Or a Chocolate milkshake from somewhere. I'll bet if you get a chocolate shake you won't feel like drinking.
Have a safe and sober trip.
Fred
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As Bamboozle said get something good to eat. Or a Chocolate milkshake from somewhere. I'll bet if you get a chocolate shake you won't feel like drinking.
Fred[/QUOTE]

You know, you're right. A chocolate milkshake can cure anything! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get a pint of Ben & Jerrys. I'm having a lot of stress now too and that's what I did. It was good =).

Seriously though, DON'T DRINK becuase you'll feel terrible and you should be REALLY PROUD of yourself for facing all this stress sober. How could will if feel when things calm down to say you didn't pick up the bottle and on the flip side how much WORSE would you feel if you did? The problems and stress wouldn't go away cos you drank and you'd just add more stress because you'd be feeling badly about yourself.

Ten months is amazing, you made it this far you can get through this too. And yeah Bam is right (She usually is) going to a meeting will probably help you. I don't know why but it always seems too lessen the urge.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know if you're still hearing that small voice suggesting that you drink, but in case you are, remember that's the voice of habit. It was our habitual response to drink in the face of stressful situations, to help us to "relax." Medicated relaxation is not a true relaxation at all. Alcoholism is, (in part?) a bad habit, and you don't want to be a creature of habit!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkyTuscadero View Post
Fred
You know, you're right. A chocolate milkshake can cure anything! Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm a sucker for a Wendys Frosty... Not the small cup either! LOL
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That stinks! All I have to offer is that drinking won't change anything for the better... It sounds like things should turn out okay- you did all the pain in the a** stuff you have to do when someone steals your ID- I went through it too, it's awful DO enjoy your trip, and I'm glad you reached out at SR