Notices

Hiding Your Booze

Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hiding Your Booze

I'm starting to realise how crazy this problem really is.

I have empty cans all over the place...

hidden behind the t.v.
under an out of use trailer
in bags in my bedroom closet
under the side porch through the lattus
we have a tree wrapped so this local beaver won't chew it down..yes there are cans hidden down the wrapped tree.
hidden in the glovebox, so i can throw them away before anyone finds them when I leave the house.

I've hidden unopened cans in the backs of my socks so people didn't see me bringing it into the house.
lol down my pants.
at the bottom of the garbage.
thrown in the river and I hate polluting..

I'm sure you guys have some spots crazier than this, I just thought it really sounds crazy when you actually say it.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was the worse at it.. It was truly becoming OCD....

The only cure is to quit drinking.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Tha was one of the best things about getting and staying sober...honest living. It feels really good to know I have absolutely nothing hidden anywhere. Relief!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing feels worse than when you clean out your empties and realize what a mess you are. I had them all over my room as well. I threw a number I won’t even post away and when my family searched my room the other day they found some I didn’t even KNOW about…and if you saw how small my room is you’d realize how ridiculous that is…
Take it as a lesson. Seriously. Line them all up. Do a price check. Do that math…it’s a sobering realization…no pun intended…
It’s really really crazy isn’t it? How the evidence is RIGHT there and yet it’s still so easy to say “Oh but I’m not an alcoholic” what DOES it take? I don’t know.
How good would it feel to know there are no empties in your room, not to worry about going to a different store every night, not think about how much you have left, how much you need or how to get rid of them… imagine a life where alcohol doesn’t rule your life. I bet you that’s pretty amazing.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Tha was one of the best things about getting and staying sober...honest living. It feels really good to know I have absolutely nothing hidden anywhere. Relief!

I agree!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, this lieing thing is a stressor I certainly don't need.

Honest Living would be like getting a monkey off of my back.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aliss View Post
Yes, this lieing thing is a stressor I certainly don't need.

Honest Living would be like getting a monkey off of my back.
It's not fun. I didn't do it. My parents did it. I walked into my room and there they were. It sucked. Like. REALLY REALLY badly. But it was a huge wake up call but maybe you don't need one that intense. I'm just really good at trying to keep myself in denial.

But it's true that until you really and truly want to get and stay sober, you won't. And I'm still not sure what I want because it's hard to imagine a life w/o alcohol isn't it but we also know that it'd be better. It's really freaking confusing and I wish I could be more of help but I'm only on day 5 myself and I'm struggling but I truly do hope you're able to start that journy.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

I think it is great that I no longer have to worry when family members start looking for stuff in the cupboards. They have found my stash of chocolate though. Guess I need to hid that better!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Originally Posted by SomeoneSomwhere View Post
Nothing feels worse than when you clean out your empties and realize what a mess you are. I had them all over my room as well. I threw a number I won’t even post away and when my family searched my room the other day they found some I didn’t even KNOW about…and if you saw how small my room is you’d realize how ridiculous that is…
Take it as a lesson. Seriously. Line them all up. Do a price check. Do that math…it’s a sobering realization…no pun intended…
It’s really really crazy isn’t it? How the evidence is RIGHT there and yet it’s still so easy to say “Oh but I’m not an alcoholic” what DOES it take? I don’t know.
How good would it feel to know there are no empties in your room, not to worry about going to a different store every night, not think about how much you have left, how much you need or how to get rid of them… imagine a life where alcohol doesn’t rule your life. I bet you that’s pretty amazing.
My AH is like that as he drinks secretly, i find the bottles and i have seen him take about 20 empties, to the garbage, have no idea how many days that is! I found 3 the other day, it is scary, he is seeing all these bottles, uses them to store chemicals in, i.e. thinners, tells me they are not his? how stupid does he think i am. Yes, when he was first drinking he actually built a wall out of all his beer bottles, now he has switched to brandy, does't seem to matter how u look at those bottles, an A is an A, it takes something deep inside to change the course...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would have to throw my bottles out rather than recycle them. I would put them into the public trash cans. Once when I was gathering empties on my porch for the recycling bin a neighbor commented that "it sounds like a bar in there!" An alcoholic lives here, by the looks of that recycling bin!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've got a pretty large stash in my closet, and most of my kitchen cabinets are full of beer bottles and empty pints of vodka...

It definitely makes me roll my eyes at myself. Aliss, it sounds like this is out of hand for both of us. It would be best to stop!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l found places to hide bottles that l thought no one would ever find.
Usually they were found within a day.
Sad and pathetic.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would throw out empties in out of the way public trash cans like I was trying to get rid of a dead body, concealing a crime! What a ridiculous way to live. 3 months sober!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

When I was living alone I didn't need to hide.

I left the cans right in the middle of the room on the floor and threw empty wine boxes into the corner. I would try to make as little noise as possible while walking out to the dumpster, though. That's when I actually decided to clean...which was a rare event. I lived in filth much of the time.

Well, I'm sober now and I still have problems keeping my living space clean. *sigh* At least I'm not living in a toxic waste zone anymore.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh ya I can relate Aliss!! when I sobered up I was finding empty wine bottles all over the place...loads of them in my office..(where I did the majority of my drinking!!) I thought I was fooling my husband..but I was really just fooling myself... It was really bad when I would wake up and my hubby wouldn't have drank the night before with me, and see the empties....and realize just how much I did drink...bad...real bad... It's great cleaning the house now and not having any surprises...and when we take our empties back now...it's just water bottles and pop cans!!! LOVE IT!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
part time member

I would throw out empties in out of the way public trash cans like I was trying to get rid of a dead body, concealing a crime! What a ridiculous way to live.
I would do that too! I would only throw out two at a time at each store. I did once take a huge bag and throw it out while I washed my car. How sad. I thought it was great hearing that I wasn't the only one that did this and that it was part of the sickness.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to leave for work early in the morning and put empties in public wastebaskets or leave them in bags by the side of the road. Pathetic: and such a lot of work.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It seems like everytime I go look for something, surprise- I find an empty bottle(s). It's amazing all the "nooks and crannies" I used to hide my empties in...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Omg, the places I found to hide them. I don't know if anyone found them, nothign was thrown out. There are empties all over my parents house although I have been moved out for 6 months. Remember I had to take my car to the mechanic as an emergency and because it was unlikely it could even drive 200m, i had to dump a whole car load of empties, in the parking lot of my university....
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think we all can relate. Its a terrible feeling my small bathroom was full of empty fourty ozers and roaches.... its no way to live. Sobriety is there for the taking. Reach out and grab it...

Clayton