Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Drat! I missed the memo......
when did abstinance become flexible?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I usually don't post anything on these ever recurring N/A beer threads because
1) It's none of my business what you drink, and
2) see 1).

But it got me thinking. Out of a hugely tiny sample size of alcoholics I know well, none of them with any long term sobriety drink any NA beer at all.

I know many alcoholics who have had some epic relapses that made a practice of drinking NA beer regularly.

I honestly don't know if there is any correlation between NA beer and problems with sobriety for your run of the mill alkie.

But I am struck with the 'why bother' idea. Given that I am alcoholic, and given that maybe, just maybe, NA beer could be a detriment to my sobriety, why would I take that chance for such a small level of enjoyment?

I mean, I don't really have an accurate taste in my memory, but from what I recall, NA beer kind of tasted like warm p!ss water. Even ice cold.

I was a beer snob when I drank beer, and even if NA beer tasted like a yummy IPA microbrew or something, it's a chance I wouldn't take.

But for warm p!ss water? What's the point here? Something else driving the motivation?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Mark 75 makes a great point. Alot of the talk has revolved around people saying "why bother beer tastes like crap I only drank it to get drunk" well there's lots of people who - myself included love/d the taste of beer, unfortunately it just led us down a pathway to getting horribly drunk.

Anyway, I don't drink N/A beer because tbh most of tastes awful. However I agree hugely with Mark thats the opinions are pretty dogmatic on it, perhaps it is a trigger for some people but it's very, very, very possible it also works in the opposite way. Perhaps someone who feels in their soberiety they really miss the taste or perhaps even the ritual of a beer with friends and if it helps them then I dont see a problem with that. Don't forget there are plenty of 0.00% Beers out there.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
People often have a hard time letting go...
Exactly my feelings Smacked. I drank these early on and they were only a pacifier for me, A way to ease the cravings just a little. The further I go from the real the thing the less I care to even attempt to drink an NA.

I can understand how some may enjoy it but for me it is beyond dangerous.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had fake 'wine' before and it tasted like grape juice, which I like. But I didn't drink wine for the excellent taste, but for the numbing effects on my brain. If I want juice, I'll buy juice. No need to dance with the devil, at least not for me. I'm afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Zoobear View Post
If I was going to drink N/A beer I would do it up right. I would slam down a 12 pack or two, kick someones butt and sit in the closet for 10 days or so playin jail! WOW!! Good times.

that was just too good not to comment on!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Non-alcohol beer tastes terrible because there is no alcohol in it. As far as relapsing goes, I wouldn't think someone could be categorized as relapsed even if they drank a real beer or even a stiff drink of whiskey. Only when you get blasted or drunk would I consider it a relapse. Just my opinion on the matter. 7+ years and still don't have the desire to drink. Amazing.........
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

As far as relapsing goes, I wouldn't think someone could be categorized as relapsed even if they drank a real beer or even a stiff drink of whiskey.
I disagree with ya Walker - and I think most others will too.

For me, it's not the amount - it's the behaviour...returning to alcohol after my life experiences with it would simply be an insane decision.

D
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Many of my friends who have been sober 15-30 years don't go near it. Kind of like my first post... Kicking the crack habit but hanging out in a crack house for the smell and grandizing (spelling) the old days...

To each his own. I don't have to think twice as I don't go there...

AG
18 years sober and sober today.. Drinking Kool-aid right now.... Yea, I'm getting old ! LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

For this alcoholic yes, it is bad. Besides, in my opinion the stuff tastes like...well, something really really bad.

Brian
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Close to seven years sober here and I never drank or liked beer in my drinking days. My drink of choice was wine. I was told to stay away from triggers; for me it would be the fake na wine. I would not drink that in a million years.

I am sure I could handle an o'doul's but again as others said why bother if you can't get drunk? I would especially be careful if it is a potential trigger.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

People will come up with a million little analogies to compare it to going to a crackhouse for a crack addict and such lol.

I do occasionally drink NA beer. I have to walk right by all the real beer to buy it and never once have I been tempted to buy the real stuff. Everyone is different. If you have a tiny shred of doubt that you won't be able to handle NA I'd stay away from it. If you accept that NA is all you'll ever be able to drink, go for it. I personally have one after I've done a ton of yardwork and never once have I been tempted to pour it out and go buy real beer.

That's just my opinion though.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

bad idea. same ceremony= same habit.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

"If you have a tiny shred of doubt that you won't be able to handle NA I'd stay away from it. If you accept that NA is all you'll ever be able to drink, go for it."

I'd totally agree with that. Dangerous for some, totally fine for others. Approach with caution.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread is closed.
Why?

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
SR is for members seeking abstinance.
Not drinking "a bit" or "a trace" or "moderately"

Please respect our mission of recovery

Thank you

Last edited by CarolD; 07-08-2010 at 12:17 PM.