Notices

O'douls? good or bad?

Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Fwiw - day 6? might be early

I forget how far in i was when I tried an odouls -but I knew I could not play around - 1- 2 tops-any more than 2 is mimicking drinking- I like the assessment question-do you drink alcohol differently than non-alcohol drinks ?

if you are out how many soda's would ya order,how many waters.. I keep that in mind with n/a fwiw

stay strong,stay sober =):ghug3
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

If you are completely honest with yourself, you know whether drinking a NA beer is a relapse or not. Relapse is often mental first, then physical.

To me, it is "why" we drink a NA beer.

But, with that said, I think it is a slippery slope, especially for prior beer lovers. I was a whiskey / scotch guy and really didn't like beer. I drank a few NA beers at social events and then found that I would have some at home. I stopped drinking them completely once I saw a pattern developing. Even thought there wasn't really any alcohol, I was trading one addiction for another one (albeit a much better one).

Now, any time I see myself acting in a way that is showing "addictive" tendencies, I stop the activity immediately.

It sounds silly, but I am going to have to 12 step myself to stop biting my nails. My addiction is deeply rooted in my body and personality, and so I have to watch out for it.

So, in the end, why bother? If you need a crutch, try chocolate.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No way for this alcoholic. I wouldn't consider it. My mind just cannot comprehend the concept. It makes me feel weird just trying to conceive of a beer with no alcohol in it.

I have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol. It will kill me so I figure that's probably logical.

I never drank NA when I drank. I wouldn't consider drinking them now I don't drink. What would be the point? I remember the only time I ever went out to a pub and didn't drink was when I was driving years ago. I drank shandy because I was driving. I ended up having about 6 pints in 2 hours! I'm an alcoholic so it's soft-drinks for me. If not then it's Tennants super at 7.00 am.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Taste like crap and won't get ya drunk so why bother ?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I drank to get drunk..period....I personally wouldn't bother with it..same as decaf coffee to me!! I'll stick to good old water and pop!!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I haven't had an NA, but I do drink OJ.

I don't know if I'd do NA, but I don't think it signals relapse. Hey, if it's not a trigger for you to drink the real stuff, chances are pretty good it's not a problem.

For some I suppose it's a road to hell. For others it's like drinking diet soda instead of regular.

I had some candy the other day that tasted like peach schnapps . The candy had no alcohol. I didn't drink because of it. And, I know, everyone is different.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I've heard 3rd party accounts of it being a trigger for some. To me it just tastes nasty.... Die with a t on the end nasty.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I vote no way. Some people start off their relapses in that way. It seems like a totally uncessary and silly risk if you are serious about your recovery. Don't flirt with your disease or it will bite your freaking head off!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

NA beer has always tasted like sudsy water to me. If I tasted beer, I think I would want the real thing, and I think I might talk myself into it, because on many occasions I did just have a beer or two, because I enjoyed them. Problem was, it was hard to turn that off other days and I'd have more than one or two. So yeah, I do genuinely miss the taste of a nice hoppy beer, but I'm not going to risk my 3 months sober because I miss the tast. Diet Dr Pepper works just fine for me now.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

ok- so to set the record straight-I have been having an o'douls with diner for years now-and in no way does it affect my desire to drink or not-i swore it off and I am not giving in
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I occasionally have an NA with a meal. I only drink it at home occasionally and I might buy a six-pack and it will last up to three weeks. O'douls isn't the brand I like, but I haven't had any problem with wanting "real beer" and tomorrow is my 2 year sober anniversary.

As I've said the many times this subject has come up here, it depends on the person. If you feel like it might trigger you, then stay away from it. I certainly don't recommend trying it until you have at least several months or even a year sober time.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes there is always a debate on this.....I think it's crazy to flirt with fire like that.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let me remind everyone about our SR posting Rule

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Some posts were removed that promoted x brand of NA beer
over y.

Anyway you cut it....there is a trace of alcohol in NA beer.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If I was going to drink N/A beer I would do it up right. I would slam down a 12 pack or two, kick someones butt and sit in the closet for 10 days or so playin jail! WOW!! Good times.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If I drank a N/A beer.....I know it would be going
against my God and AA's teachings.

It would be morally wrong and Yes...I would be compelled
to re start my sobriety....

Note that I said sobriety rather than recovery
Recovery is about following the AA steps
into a spiritual experience and life.
This can not continue to happen for me if I drink alcohol.

I plan to gratefully remain an AA recovered alcoholic.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Given all the consequences racked up and all the people that a drunk hurts in his/her career it is hard to not have a certain level of contempt for someone who thinks it is cool to drink their DOC without the alcohol in sobriety like it was all a bit of a joke...but then again just stopping drinking doesnt automatically eliminate the insanity/old behaviour so i do understand the question:-)
Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's interesting... Contempt?

While I drink a non alcoholic malt beverage now and then, with certain foods or in certain situations.... I certainly respect those whose sobriety does not allow for one... I lose some of that respect, however, for those same individuals who would hold me in contempt for doing so.

BTW, I don't promote it, or recommend it for anyone else... I only speak up because I reject the dogma one hears about it.

Mark
Old 07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I tried it a couple of times, but believe it or not, even though I would drink a case of real beer in a sitting, I have never enjoyed the taste of most beers. In my first round of sobriety a few years ago I tailgated with my boys before a football game. I came prepared with a case of N/A on ice. I proceeded to keep up with my buddies beer for beer, and drank about 18 of those suckers in 2 hours. I never caught a buzz, and had to urinate 20 times during the game...like normal. That was when I realized that I was an idiot. It tasted like crap, I forced 18 of them down my throat and all I was doing was trying to fit in with a bunch of drunks. I didn't find N/A a slippery slope, but more of a wake up call about drinking 20 of anything at a sitting can't be good for you. I always drank for effect and to fit in, N/A did neither for me, just made me realize what extent I would go to look like I was fitting in. Someone else might find N/A to be a trigger, I just found it to be a way to prove to myself that my alcoholism wasn't just physical it had alot of social aspects to it as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I would never judge someone else's sobriety that's something they have to do themselves. But for me/my sobriety any drink that has any amount of alcohol in it is simply not an option so I don't bother with NA beer.

Steve
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I always drank for effect and to fit in, N/A did neither for me, just made me realize what extent I would go to look like I was fitting in.

Awesome! I needed to be reminded of that. thx.