Notices

Could you try help me understand this?

Old 06-05-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could you try help me understand this?

Hi, I'm a wife of an A, and I was wondering if you could maybe help me understand something.
AH was drinking heavily for years, 3 months ago he started looking sick but refused to go to see doctor. last Friday he was admitted to the hosital and he has liver cirrhosis. It is advanced. Doctors say there is a chance he might survive but no one can tell at the moment how big that chance is. Sunday night he run away from the hospital as he had halucinations someone was chasing him. Friends found him in the morning wandering the streets, bruised, his clothes torn and all wet. They took him back to the hospital and he was transfered to the pshyc ward, they kept him there overnight but in the morning sent him back to the initial hospital as they said they can't treat his liver problems properly. In the initial hospital they are reluctant to have him as they fear more episodes and they're not equiped to deal with it. He did kind of ok for few days, but yesterday I got a call from a cab driver telling me AH phoned him to come and pick him up as he needs to go and have a haircut. I spoke to the doctor and he said AH told him he received an important phonecall and needs to go out for an hour. They gave him some more sedatives and he slept through most of the day.
When he speaks his words are slured and it's very hard to understand what is he saying. Sometimes he seems lucid, on other times it is hard to tell. So now it's been 8 days since he had a drink. I don't really know much about withdrawal symptoms, and doctors are not much help, I googled it but it made me even more confused, so I would really appreciate if you could give me some info on how long withdrawal symptoms can last. I'm not asking for a medical advice, but it'd be great if you can share some experience or advice that could help me understand all this better.
As it is bad enough dreading the phone call to infrom me that he died, and the fact they might call me again to tell me he's run away again is just too much.
I'd appreciate anything you'd like to share on the subject.

Thank you
Old 06-05-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Last night I talked with my alcoholic friend. He had been hospitalized in phyc ward. He told me if there was no alcohol special doctor up there, he might be diagnosed schizophrenia or something else. Alcoholics need special doctor for alcohol. If you may have doubt about treatment. Your AH might need psychiatric doctor for withdrawal. It is just my opinion based on my talk last night.

I am here pray for your AH.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi Sesh, i am also a wife of an AH who refuses any medical help. He has been drinking 3 years now, he was sober for 7 and relapsed. I see he can do 4 days and then the WD's kick in and he is back to drinking. I am no expert but surely if your H is being medicated he wouldnt notice the WD? although i must say my friend is a cancer patient and they medicated her on some really strong stuff which she got addicted to, she did WD in the hospital, says it was hell! As she told them she refuses that med. she also hallucinated etc. and wasn't lucid at all! I really think the DR. treating them needs to know their history and but your husband has gone through 8 days already, maybe from here on the WD will get better? i am praying for you and him. Sorry you have been through so much pain, may GOD comfort you.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hate to say this, but you really need to get more information from his doctors, your question is not a general one that our experience, strength and hope is going to add much to. There are multiple reasons why your AH might be confused. Alcohol withdrawal will certainly do it. Liver disease, though, causes the body to lose the ability to process protein, with the result that ammonia can build up, causing confusion. In addition, the sedatives that the docs are using can themselves cause sedation and confusion. How much each of these factors is contributing is a question that only the doctors with access to his physical and laboratory exam and current meds can answer.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you
You're right Marty, and the fact is I know it. It's just I had a very bad day today, and it feels like I'm going crazy. It is just so hard.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am very sorry this is happening to you, Sesh. Do you have children?

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience dealing with hospitals and doctors, (but not about alcoholism.) Very often the sick person is not capable of advocating for him/herself so that burden is falling to you. Keep asking your questions until you find a doc who is willing to answer them. Even if the answer is "I don't know," at least you get to hear the doctor say it.

Is there a social worker at the hospital? Does AH have any family who can help you make decisions about his care?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks,
yes we have two beautiful kids, 11 yo D and 6 yo S. I'm doing my best to help them deal with thier pain.
I do speak to the docs all the time, but the thing is it all comes down to one sentance: It's bad, there is a chance he might pull through it, but how big that chance is no one can know at the moment. And this is the best doc we could find. He's been very patient with me, but in the same time he told me everything. I guees I'm looking for the answer no one can give me right now. My brother spoke to the doc and asked him about the transplant and the doc said it's too early to speak about it now. I don't know if that is hopeful thing or not. It's like when I speak to the doc, everything he says makes sense and I understand it all, but some time later I start agonizing over it and nothing makes sense any more.
I guess the simple truth is we just have to wait and hope for the best.
And there is something I want to tell you guys in recovery:
Be thankful for doing a right thing. My AH was highly functional until 3 months ago when he started losing weight. he never discused it with me, but I know him well and I know all this years he was thinking he'll stop at some point, he needs more time, it's not that bad. I think his inability to face his reality made him think he's unique and he's invincible. None of us is. There is a limit to everything. And you can never know when your body is going to start failing you. I can see his struggle and I know how hard it must have been for him all these years, and how hard it is for him now. In my mind being an active A is like playing a russian roullett, A is convinced the gun is empty and it is only a sick game, but the truth of it is there is always one bullet hidden in the chambers, and you don't know it until you hear it click.
I wish you all well on your recovery, I hope you can learn from our story and stay on the right path. Be thankfull for your sobriety through the good times and bad ones, and be gratefull for the second chance you were given.
All the best
Sesh