Notices

Is it a good idea to...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it a good idea to...

exercise while your on withdrawal? I sweat profusely. im 48 hours without a drink, but still shaky. I got really dizzy after a while for a minute or two. So I decided to stop. I just dont know if alcohol is still pouring out of me or if it's all the water I've been taking in
Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice, personally I would wait untill your done detoxing to start working out...
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hard to say...

Do you normally exercise or did you just start?

Are you in good condition physically?

How hard do you exercise?

No medical advice can be given here, but those are questions you can ask yourself. If it hurts, don't do it!

Mark
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Do you go to a gym? I would enlist the services of a personal trainer, they usually good at how things should be done, good luck.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CTwo View Post
exercise while your on withdrawal? I sweat profusely. im 48 hours without a drink, but still shaky. I got really dizzy after a while for a minute or two. So I decided to stop. I just dont know if alcohol is still pouring out of me or if it's all the water I've been taking in
Whatever you're doing sure beats the exercise you get lifting that heavy drink glass. If anything, I'd say exercising will help the process. Don't forget to breathe. No oxygen makes a person dizzy.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did a lot of walking, a lot of walking.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your body is very busy getting rid of poison.
That takes time and energy.
l would take it easy, at least untill you feel a lot better.
Wish you well.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with Mark - it's hard for any of us to say because it depends on alot of factors. I didn't do anything for the first week because I'm not young anymore and I figure better be safe than sorry. My heart was beating faster than normal while going through withdrawals and I didn't want to push it.

Regardless of whether you exercise or not, are you drinking plenty of water, taking vitamins, etc.? I read somewhere that it takes a good 3 days for your system to get rid of alcohol and even then there will be residual effects. So it might not hurt to take it slow (Like Norther said: take a walk, or something minimal?)
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure about your situation but I personally waited a few weeks after my withdrawals ended to begin working out in the gym. I wanted to get myself healthy food wise first before I began putting my body under more stress.

So far it's worked out really well, have put on over a stone in muscle (I was a twig) since I stopped drinking all those weeks ago. It has gone a long way in improving my mental health too - fit body, fit mind etc
Old 06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I'm an avid gym-guy and during my detox I couldn't do much more than walk around the house. I would ask your doctor. My blood pressure was so screwed up form my bender that honestly I didn't even consider doing any sort of workout until I was a week and a half clear of my last drink.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Norther View Post
I did a lot of walking, a lot of walking.
This is what I did as well. It helped ease my anxieties/feelings of doom, helped get rid of the shakes and tired me out so that I could get some rest.

Consequently, I did a lot of praying and communicating with my higher power during those walks.