Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just saw my end stage friend, he's at the office.. Video enclosed

Notices

Just saw my end stage friend, he's at the office.. Video enclosed

Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear that. God bless both of you.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Thanks for sharing, the really sad thing is that for the overwhelming majority of active addicts/alcoholics-jmo, and my own experience-is that this sort of cautionary tale will have zero effect.
You're right. And the irony is, denial is a symptom.
How can a majority of heavy, active drinkers say to themselves "I know i'm an alcoholic, but i'm gonna keep on drinking."?
They can't. So, they tell themselves they are not an alcoholic.
And by changing their lines of correct behavior, all the rest of life becomes a bit more surreal and confusing.

We know from experience that our drinking is a solution to the days problems, or a celebration for the days victories. Or we find someone worse, and say "At least i'm not like them".
What we didn't say to ourselves was "dam, i'm an alcohol addict and i have to go get my fix. This sucks."
I'd rationalize my drunken behavior by blaming the people at the party. "What a bunch of tight-arses. They can't even kick back and have some fun at a party." Everyone else was a jerk but me. What a delusion i was caught up in.

It's an amazing step when someone says
"My name is AC, and i'm an alcoholic. I have no control over alcohol."

Until that admission comes, denial reigns.

it's was amazing to watch myself change from a narcissistic a-hole to someone who didn't view every other human on the planet as a jerk.
And it's so tough to stop drinking, because it forms the foundation of your life outlook, in addition to occupying a massive amount of your waking time, AND changing your brain chemistry. Not only your body needs time to heal, but so does your self-perception, how you see yourself and the world around you.

No wonder they say "one day at a time". There's so much to adjust to and handle each day, it's overwhelming!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The man in the phone video reminds me of Nigel from the "Rain..." video series(doc1-10) on youtube. how sad. didn't realize the latent effects of the alcohol can affect a person so many years after quitting. again- so sad.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Update on my friend..

Today, I asked him if he was still coughing up blood, he said I little, I told him that it was probably esophageal varices, and that if he didn't go to the ER immediatly or very soon, most likely it will burst and he will choke to death on his own blood.

He looked back and said, I'm ready to go.. I pleaded with him some more, and then he started crying and told me to leave him alone for the day.

I was thinking about your friend for the better part of last night. I understand he consented to the youtube video but I'm a little uncomfortable getting updates on his condition now that we all know who he is. If he consents to the updates I'm cool with that.

I think part of it is I get so embarrassed when other people (friends, family, etc.) use me a reference point for their own drinking habits or alcoholism in general. I know I'm an alcoholic but sometimes the comments/observations of others has been a trigger for me to hit the bottle. I hope this makes sense and don't think this is any kind of personal attack IRTQ as I do appreciate you sharing.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing the video and for the Michael Clarke letter. I wish I could talk to 18-year-old me.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about this thread and wondered what has happened since? I am hoping for the best for both your friend and you.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qs4thinking View Post
I was just thinking about this thread and wondered what has happened since? I am hoping for the best for both your friend and you.
He got sick last Thursday, not sure where he's is or how he is now.. I don't have a phone number from him but he hasn't been back at the office. Last time I saw him he was getting more yellowish and was saying his "ulcer" was killing him.. It's not his ulcer.. I'm not sure if he's in the hospital or not.. I'll try to find out today.