Notices

We All Have Today

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We All Have Today

I have 10 months of sobriety today. Throughout these 10 months I have found myself thinking "If I can just get to 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, a year then life will be good". I find myself thinking about having one year of sobriety on a daily basis.

When these thoughts creep into my mind, I tell myself that I have today, and that is what matters. It's not a race. I should take my time and see what I can learn from today.

I am grateful to be sober TODAY! Whether you have 30+ years, 30 days, or 1day sober, remember that we all have today, and that is what is truly important.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amen to that GG!!!! when I was in my first "baby steps" of sobriety I would go minute by minute!! I've now graduated to day by day!! Congrads on your 10 months thats so awesome!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

10 months

Thanks for sharing your excitement and gratitude with us. Made my doggone day. It gets hard, then it gets good, then it gets great. God Bless and Happy 10!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 months. That is something to be proud of. When I got past the 9 month mark, it seemed the monkey had been knocked off my back. I havn't had any close calls since.
But yes 1 year seems like the ultimate goal. When you look ahead it seems so far away. But when you get there and look back, it really doesn't seem that long.
But like you say. We all have today.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is great. Keep up the thoughts and paryers.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

True to a point gratefulgirl and congrtats on 10 months.

The problem with that theory IMO though is that if I can't guarantee sobriety for longer period than a day then my life becomes stagnant I am unable to move forward in other areas of my life and for me a stagnant life means sinking into a depression.
Its a good slogan for people who are struggling or new to sobriety which is now me now that I have relapsed!

So sincerely thank you as that message is good for me at the moment!

Its true you don't want to run before you can walk at the same time you don't want to stand still.

Thats the problem with many AA slogans in general they are too rigid and don't really apply to the complexities of life
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kurtrambis View Post
True to a point gratefulgirl and congrtats on 10 months.

The problem with that theory IMO though is that if I can't guarantee sobriety for longer period than a day then my life becomes stagnant I am unable to move forward in other areas of my life and for me a stagnant life means sinking into a depression.
Its a good slogan for people who are struggling or new to sobriety which is now me now that I have relapsed!

So sincerely thank you as that message is good for me at the moment!

Its true you don't want to run before you can walk at the same time you don't want to stand still.

Thats the problem with many AA slogans in general they are too rigid and don't really apply to the complexities of life
Very true, Kurtrambis. I have to sometimes take a step back and remind myself that it is one day at a time, because I get ahead of myself and take my sobriety for granted. Today I don't have a desire to drink, and I'm learning to deal with life and all the complexities it holds without turning to alcohol. However, hearing how others have relapsed scares the crap out of me. I know if I don't continue to be honest with myself and be willing to grow, that that could be me. And I don't want that, because although sober life can be rough, it's much better than the alternative in my opinion!

I know you said you have a problem with AA slogans, but I can't help myself I'm glad you're back...keep coming back, it works if you work it!