Notices

DUI Question

Old 06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI Question

For those of you that have a DUI, I'm sure you noticed your insurance shoot up. Does anyone know which insurance companies are better than others when it comes to this? Also, the courts said it would be "off my record" since it was my first conviction. Does this mean that insurance companies won't be able to see it either?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe your state laws/attorney are different from mine.

My first and only is on my record. State Farm dropped me, but I was able to get Allstate at a very decent rate. About the same I was paying SF. I had an excellent driving record prior to the DUI.

Jail time in GA is a mandatory 24 hours for the first DUI. The county I got mine in did not count "double", so I had to go back and do 12 hours. Granted, without an attorney it could have been a lot more since my BAC was so high and I acted like an ass after I was arrested.

Good look to you- DUIs suck, but they are also a godsend in that we did not kill others in the process of our wreckless behaviour.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Here's a link By: George Coppolo, Chief Attorney of Connecticut about DUI laws.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just know that certain states require SR-22 -which is additional insurance coverage for up to 36 months.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Shop around the pricing methodologies vary greatly fron co to co especially. It is definitly wort the effort to do your own research. People tend to give advice without really having shopped. Be wary of friends who are insurance agents, unless you really trust them. A good strategy is to have a car paid in full and get the state minimum.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry that I can't help you, I'm from Canada....different laws...I'm facing my DUI charges in the coming months....such a mess
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had State Farm and was also dropped. I then got insurance through GMAC. It went from $67 a month with SF to $190 a month. But it's been over 3 years since the conviction so it has come down now. I know if you get one with State Farm they will not reinsure you for 5 years, btw I know that because my Dad worked for SF for 20 years, yeah he was real proud of me.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grab the wheel!

Where I'm at, the driving part sticks, the criminal offense drops after probation. I was consistently at risk for a second offense, another beautiful thing about getting sober. I read earler in the things I don't miss thread....the anxiety of seeing police while driving. So true.

If you need an SR-22, that's the States way of making sure you stay insured, you're now high risk. I was able to keep the insurance cost reasonable by using a less reputable company. Find a trustworthy broker, let them know what's going on, they'll point you in the right direction.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post
DUIs suck, but they are also a godsend in that we did not kill others in the process of our wreckless behaviour.
I'm totally happy that I got arrested for 2 DUI. (Over eight years ago now.)
It was a wake up call and I thank God everytime I read of or hear in the media of a fatal DUI crash and it was not me. It sure could of been me many times, I'm so grateful that it wasn't.
I also was dropped by State farm and had to get SR-22 insurance. I went online and found some company named Dairyfarm or Dairyland, which was $52 something a month for 3 years.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi there,
I was with AAA and my rates went up. I am in California so I have to carry an SR-22 and every car in the household/family has to be on the policy because of me.
Anyway, when my policy was up for renewal I called AIS (which shops lots of companies for you in California) and my rates are at normal levels 2 years since DUI.
Maybe there is something similar to AIS in Conneticut? Good luck!
This looks like something similar....
Connecticut Car Insurance - Free Online Quotes | UsInsuranceOnline.com