Notices

Need to vent this

Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So let's ask why we can't control our drinking. Then let's ask why after a period of abstinence (like several years) don't or can't we return to normal controlled drinking.
Because something makes us different than those that can control and enjoy.
I'll stop short of calling it a disease though. Mainly because none of us are Doctors or have the means to do any research that will lead to any conclusion.
We're simply not qualified to do anything except repeat what we've read and spew opinions.
To those that say that it's a matter of will power, I wish you well in your attempts at controlling it.
If you can, you're not an alcoholic.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I used to think the disease model was right cos someone told me it was and it kind of made sense...since getting sober i definitely know that all non-recovered alcoholics and addicts are mentally ill (and spiritually)...if you accept that you wont go nuts over this kind of stuff...just think back to how sane you were when you were out there or on a dry run? What do you expect them to say?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
That's because Crack and Nicotine are physically addicting. Alcohol isn't! With the exception of a select few that we call alcoholics.
I defy anyone to tell me that it's all a matter of control.
Like Duh!!! Why didn't I think of that.
Consider yourself defied.
In my view, and as the basis of my method of sobriety, alcoholism is a choice.
Is it not wonderful that we can have different views?
Best in sobriety.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
So let's ask why we can't control our drinking. Then let's ask why after a period of abstinence (like several years) don't or can't we return to normal controlled drinking.
Because something makes us different than those that can control and enjoy.
I'll stop short of calling it a disease though. Mainly because none of us are Doctors or have the means to do any research that will lead to any conclusion.
We're simply not qualified to do anything except repeat what we've read and spew opinions.
To those that say that it's a matter of will power, I wish you well in your attempts at controlling it.
If you can, you're not an alcoholic.
Interesting view. Thank you for sharing.
Willpower got me through 30 days. Seeing that alcohol does nothing and is the same as paint(poison) got me through the next 4 years.
Remove the benefit(there are NONE), removes the desire, removes the want.
I also wish you well.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Thank You all for ure different points of views. I'm glad i can vent things that are bothering me & get the honesty from recovering alkies. As is said each to their own & alcoholics of my sort thanks all again for your help!!!