Notices

Dry Drunk

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Great thread that brought out underlying issues of negative stereotyping, biased normative judgment inherent to the "disease", societal perception of "normies" and "recovery in general".

"2. A person who you think isn't working the 12 step program the way you want them too."

That seems to make the person calling out a "dry drunk" a dry drunk. Horrible label IMHO.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm fine with any term which refers to an actual phenomenon. "Dry drunk" qualifies. It refers to something I do not want to be, and is useful to me to that extent. I would, however, in the interest of not taking someone else's inventory, not use it in connection with another person.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I totally misunderstood this label, I have to admit.

I thought it was someone who was sober but having so much time drinking, his speech has still slurred, looked drunk due to the baggy eyes, had an untidy gait, etc.

Oops
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Nettaja View Post
I totally misunderstood this label, I have to admit.

I thought it was someone who was sober but having so much time drinking, his speech has still slurred, looked drunk due to the baggy eyes, had an untidy gait, etc.

Oops
Actually, I believe this is the correct definition or at least the original intent of the phrase "dry drunk".
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I don't use the term myself, but it would seem to me that a "dry" drunk is better than a "wet" one!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bill W called it a "dry bender," by the way.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh...oh...
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Dry Drunk, as has been said it someone who is not drinking but exhibiting all the characteristics in their life of someone who is still drinking and thats the best case scenario...

My father was a dry drunk and believe me he was much easier to live with when he was drinking...its a perfect term in my real life experience to describe the person in this state, whether the term offends or not!

Hope you are getting help for you in all this and checking out the family and friends section on SR:-)
I can't even begin to tell you how often I've heard recovered alcoholics describe their period of abstinence without sobriety....and having their spouse, friend and families suggest they return to drinking, as they were easier to get along with.<G>

My own observation over the years is that the so-called "dry drunk" is usually a very angry (read fearful) person.

blessings
zb
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I think it's a term typically thrown around for "an alcoholic that quit drinking but isn't in AA". You see it a lot over on the F&F boards..to refer to people not working AA.
I can totally see that, someone gets mad at their partner and accuses them of being a dry drunk. It's a mean and nasty label to attach to a person, as it basically implies being drunk without having actually gotten drunk.

My opinion for the OP is that the term really doesn't mean anything it's just one person's opinion of another person's actions. Somone could look at a guy and say oh he's a dry drunk while another person could look at the same guy and think wow he's got real good sobriety.

If the guy has years of sobriety he must be doing something right. You said it was your son's grandfather. Aren't old men supposed to be grumpy and crochety anyway