Notices

Alcohol + Pain Relievers = Toxic

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol + Pain Relievers = Toxic

I am sure many of you know this but then why do I keep reading comments here how they used Nyquil or Tylenol to help with withdrawal or hangover?

Alcohol, taken with Acetaminophen or other similar pain reliever is very toxic to the liver. When I read about liver damage here I often think how many people could have avoided it if they were aware of the dangers.

I recently traveled for work and met a young lady who I watched drink many Margaritas and get very drunk. She told me the next day that she always takes Tylenol PM to help with the hangover. I said nothing to avoid looking like the overbearing colleague but I wished I knew her better. I would have warned her about the danger.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're addicts sweetie. Logic, no matter what the ability of our grey matter- does not always apply. But I hear you.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a HUGE danger and to this day I think it is what made me go down hill so quickly. We had a huge bottle of Acetaminophen at work and I would take them every day to get rid of my hangover. I was not aware of the danger at the time but after I got sick it was brought to my attention. Unfortunately it was to late for me.

This drug is in all kinds of medicines so you need to read the label.

You are right. Alcohol + Acetaminophen = TOXIC, possibly death.

Anyone who is a drinker needs to stay away from it. The combination is deadly!! I am glad you started this.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to differentiate between occasional use and long term use/abuse of paracetamol (acetaminophen).

# Tips for safe use of paracetamol for all ages:

* Always follow the directions on the label.
* Take the recommended dose.
* Don't take paracetamol for more than a few days at a time unless specifically advised to by a doctor or pharmacist.
* Don't take more than one medicine containing paracetamol - some cough/cold, sinus and period pain medicines also contain paracetamol - check the label or ask your pharmacist.
* Always store the medicine in a safe place, out of the reach of children.
* If an overdose is taken, ring a Poisons Information Centre or go to a hospital straight away.
* If pain persists, see your doctor.
Information for consumers - paracetamol
Paracetamol is a major player in liver failure, tho, and I think anyone with a substance abuse problem needs to keep that fact in mind.

Thanks Sudz

D
Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good point. In the US, the pain meds that end in "cet"..contain acetaminophen..lorcet, percocet, etc.

People who abuse alcohol AND things that contain "tylenol" are totally overwhelming their liver. Crack is also very hard on the liver (not that I thought about it when I was smoking it!)

I think back to what one of my professors said in anatomy & physiology..."liver has the word LIVE in it...you can't live without it".

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
We're addicts sweetie. Logic, no matter what the ability of our grey matter- does not always apply. But I hear you.
Hell yea logic doesn't matter because it didn't to me. One of my recent 4 overdoses included 10 darvocets (5 at a time) wich includes 650 mgs of tylenol and I drank 2 litters of wild irish rose wine and lets just say im suprised I even still have a liver let alone one that works. BTW Impurrfect I love your kitty pics.