Notices

Help with my alcohol withdrawals?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I tried calling a doctor about seeing somebody for medication perhaps, and they said they are not sure if they can; I would have to come in. I have not slept in over 40 hours because of my horribly vivid nightmares that will not stop. I slept no more than an hour around 8pm last night, woke up 3 times from the SAME nightmare. Eventually I threw the covers off myself and have refused to sleep. Also, I have no way of getting to a hospital that I can afford, I have no insurance, and I cannot make it to rehab.

I have stayed awake too long, I am jumpy now, and certain pictures and objects scare me, even though they are not something I would normally fear. Like there was a guy on a magazine next to my laptop and for some reason I kept looking at him and he scared me, I mean what the ****. I turned him around just now. Every sound I here I gasp and jump, so I have the TV on. And I'm hearing a ringing sound somewhere outside the apartment and don't know what it is, it's making me nervous. The not sleeping is eventually going to lead to hallucinations. So either I hallucinate, or I have my constant nightmares. I cannot even call a friend right now as she is working and the only one with a car has left out of town until Sunday night. Also, I cannot pass things that would have a reflection, like pictures and mirrors. I see them at the corner of my eye and cannot realize it's just me. I have stopped shaking and sweating for the most part, but not entirely, that shows that if I slept now, I would definitely not sleep well. I mean, if I laid down for five seconds I would drift to sleep. I have to walk around my neighborhood to keep me awake. I really want to get to a hospital or rehab where they can help, but in all honestly there is no way. Also, my father is away golfing until around 7pm. By then I would have been awake for over two days... my **** is getting worse and I am scared 'cause I cannot do anything... I will not sleep right now, absolutely not, and I cannot wait until I am so sleep deprived I lose my mind. Seriously, what the ****... Btw I am irritable from the lack of rest, my worry is turning into pure frustration I just want to say **** it and walk the 3 hours to a rehab place, but I need to find out in the phone book... That is what I am going to do actually.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wish I knew what I could tell you to do. All I can say is that it will get better. Withdrawal is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Mine wasn't TOO bad, but it was bad enough. Shaking, sweats, no sleep, etc. It does get better in a few days. Try some meditation and deep breathing. I would really try to get some sleep if I were you. Also, keep a journal. If you EVER think drinking is a good idea again, you can relive this experience.

Hang in there.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

tasuku - I hope things start to improve for you soon. If you start seeing things that aren't there or if your symptoms get worse, you need to call an ambulance. I'm curious about why your father isn't being a little more helpful. Has this kind of thing happened alot (to where he is "fed" up with it?). Have you talked to him honestly? I don't mean to be nosey, I just know that if my child were having serious withdrawals from something, I wouldn't decide to go out golfing......
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

bdiddy5522 and artsoul: Well I did plan to walk to the hospital myself yesterday, but instead I tried very hard to sleep, each time about 30 minutes worth. After the last one I was fed up and decided to wait for my father to get home. I told him why he wouldn't help me and if he wouldn't, I was getting there one way or the other, but would really appreciate it if he went with. It wasn't just to use his transportation, it was so I had his support. Besides, he called me from the gulf course around 3pm and I asked if he'd bring me to the clinic. He told me yes only to come home and say I didn't have to go; Just had to sleep.

artsoul: No it does not happen ever, usually he's the first one there for me. When I was in jail no body came and visited me. He came every single day he possibly could and eventually bailed me even without me having to ask him. I could call him around 4am if I was having trouble back at home and he would get out of bed and come pick me up, bring me to his house. More recently, the morning I came home drunk was in the back of the police car. They knocked on his door and he said he would definitely let me in. He helped me straight into bed and said he loved me.

Okay well I got there and after 3 hours of testing and waiting, I was proscribed Lorazepam, which is mainly used for anxiety but he said it should relieve most if not all my other symptoms. I was a little skeptical about it curing the bad dreams. I drank a lot of water with it and had a sandwich, waited an hour (until 10) and dared myself to lay in bed and sleep. I was out like a light and to my surprise, I did not wake up until 6 in the morning! I would have slept longer had I not needed to take another dose, as I am supposed to take another 8 or 9 hours after the first dose. Drank some water, and went back to bed. Absolutely no problems now. Sweating is eliminated, no shaking, no anxiety, no fearfulness. Weird noises around me I can ignore, knowing it's an old apartment that happens to do that. When I woke up at 6, instantly realizing I had slept all night, I couldn't help but cry. I even want to send the hospital a letter to the doctor who helped me with this, he even suggested I went to a detox center but I said I promise I would if the pills do not work or if I get worse (which I would have, as I would still have refused to sleep).

Anyway, after being given the medication, I feel a tons better. I think the days I spent awake has made my brain a little weird still, when I look around things seem to look a little strange, but it doesn't bother me any. I know once I sleep some more it will improve. Overall, thank you guys so much for helping me out, had I not come to this website and asked for help, I'd still be suffering and probably have been going on my third day without sleep. Now I have tones of hope, I know I will get better, and finally I am starting to actually feel energized and much stronger. When I walk I no longer drag my feet. As I write this, I kinda smile. Again, thanks everyone, I cannot explain how thankful I am with words, it's just unbelievable. I hope everyone here can live a sober life, as it is so much better than drinking all the time. Yeah makes you feel good but what if you get dependent on it and wanna quit one day? Quitting alone is NOT easy, and I think for me, it would have ended bad if I never got help. I will keep in touch, assure everyone that after I'm done with the pills, and even days being sober, that I am staying strong and sober. The help was greatly appreciated. =]
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank goodness you sought medical help and feel better. I was seriously worried about you. Scary stuff. I hope you never put yourself through that again.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are better. Now the question is, what are you going to do to STAY sober. For me and many people, getting sober was easy. It is the staying sober part that takes work. Have you thought about a recovery plan?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Withdrawl is so much worse when you sit alone and think about it. You have to distract yourself somehow. I just finished a 2 day binge about 24 hours ago. Last night was horrible (when I was thinking about it.)

When I concentrated on something else, it was a lot easier. I think withdrawls is indeed phsysical, but it's also mental.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tasuku View Post
bdiddy5522 and artsoul: Well I did plan to walk to the hospital myself yesterday, but instead I tried very hard to sleep, each time about 30 minutes worth. After the last one I was fed up and decided to wait for my father to get home. I told him why he wouldn't help me and if he wouldn't, I was getting there one way or the other, but would really appreciate it if he went with. It wasn't just to use his transportation, it was so I had his support. Besides, he called me from the gulf course around 3pm and I asked if he'd bring me to the clinic. He told me yes only to come home and say I didn't have to go; Just had to sleep.

artsoul: No it does not happen ever, usually he's the first one there for me. When I was in jail no body came and visited me. He came every single day he possibly could and eventually bailed me even without me having to ask him. I could call him around 4am if I was having trouble back at home and he would get out of bed and come pick me up, bring me to his house. More recently, the morning I came home drunk was in the back of the police car. They knocked on his door and he said he would definitely let me in. He helped me straight into bed and said he loved me.

Okay well I got there and after 3 hours of testing and waiting, I was proscribed Lorazepam, which is mainly used for anxiety but he said it should relieve most if not all my other symptoms. I was a little skeptical about it curing the bad dreams. I drank a lot of water with it and had a sandwich, waited an hour (until 10) and dared myself to lay in bed and sleep. I was out like a light and to my surprise, I did not wake up until 6 in the morning! I would have slept longer had I not needed to take another dose, as I am supposed to take another 8 or 9 hours after the first dose. Drank some water, and went back to bed. Absolutely no problems now. Sweating is eliminated, no shaking, no anxiety, no fearfulness. Weird noises around me I can ignore, knowing it's an old apartment that happens to do that. When I woke up at 6, instantly realizing I had slept all night, I couldn't help but cry. I even want to send the hospital a letter to the doctor who helped me with this, he even suggested I went to a detox center but I said I promise I would if the pills do not work or if I get worse (which I would have, as I would still have refused to sleep).

Anyway, after being given the medication, I feel a tons better. I think the days I spent awake has made my brain a little weird still, when I look around things seem to look a little strange, but it doesn't bother me any. I know once I sleep some more it will improve. Overall, thank you guys so much for helping me out, had I not come to this website and asked for help, I'd still be suffering and probably have been going on my third day without sleep. Now I have tones of hope, I know I will get better, and finally I am starting to actually feel energized and much stronger. When I walk I no longer drag my feet. As I write this, I kinda smile. Again, thanks everyone, I cannot explain how thankful I am with words, it's just unbelievable. I hope everyone here can live a sober life, as it is so much better than drinking all the time. Yeah makes you feel good but what if you get dependent on it and wanna quit one day? Quitting alone is NOT easy, and I think for me, it would have ended bad if I never got help. I will keep in touch, assure everyone that after I'm done with the pills, and even days being sober, that I am staying strong and sober. The help was greatly appreciated. =]
that's awsome. i'm really glad you got some medical treatment.

please keep us informed. now you have a bunch of people who care about you and want to hear about how your days progress.

stay strong
Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SR Fan

tasuku - I'm so glad you made it to the doctor and happy to hear you sounding so positive about your sobriety. That's wonderful. It sounds like your father has been a good support for you, which is great. Of course, people do get tired of bailing us out of things and even family will eventually stop helping us if we're not willing to do the work to get/stay sober.

Keep going strong and remember to take it a day at a time!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
Withdrawl is so much worse when you sit alone and think about it. You have to distract yourself somehow. I just finished a 2 day binge about 24 hours ago. Last night was horrible (when I was thinking about it.)

When I concentrated on something else, it was a lot easier. I think withdrawls is indeed phsysical, but it's also mental.
When I go through withdrawal the most I usually do is a 20 minute walk. The rest of the day I'll try to do nothing and just post on forums, etc. The fewer people I have to liaise with, the asier I find withdrawal. Then again, it's social anxiety that drives me to drink so it's not surprising that feels even worse in withdrawal.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's most unfortunate that I have to reply to this thread stating something other than I've been able to stay sober. Sadly, I've come to admit that I have a problem with drinking, and not just drinking but with abusing other chemicals. I've relapsed several times since I submitted my first post. Perhaps it wasn't considered a relapse since I never actually tried to stop drinking. I never thought it was an issue.

On a brighter note, I've submitted myself into a treatment facility and have been clean for one month come tomorrow. I'm in a residential treatment center where I attend classes from 9am-3pm and then go to NA and AA meetings every evening. I sleep in an apartment with various other recovering alcoholics and addicts, but I will soon be discharging from this place and just going to the classes. I will also be working the 12 steps as soon as I find myself a sponsor.

I tell you, now that my head has cleared up a little bit, I wouldn't have believed in a million years that I would be an alcoholic and a drug addict. But I have plenty of motivation to change and to better my life not just for myself but for the other people around me. My drinking as indeed affected those close to me and I deserve a life better than what I've given myself. I was sitting up in my bedroom and thought about this thread. It had come into my mind various times but I think I've been too stubborn to admit that yeah, I do have a problem, and I have no control over my life when I'm drinking.

I'll keep updated for anyone who's interested enough to know how I"m progressing. I've met a few cool people here who really do care and understand where you're coming from, so that's been a huge support. I also have a very supportive family who just want the best for me and want me to get better. Sorry it's been so long since I've replied to this thread, I guess I just kinda used it and left it. But I do need support, no matter in what form, and I read though all the posts just recently here and I can remember how helpful they were to me in the past, I'm sure they will help now as well. Thanks for anyone who took the time to read, I'll be updating.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back tasuku
Congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
SR Fan

30 days is EXCELLENT!!!!

It's great that you were able to go to treatment and have a program in place. That's wonderful news, tasuku. And yeah, it's nice to know we're not alone, isn't it? Keep up the good work and glad you're posting again!:ghug3
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awsome for 30 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well Done on your sober time.....

Thanks for checking back with us
and please do keep in touch...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

tasuku--I'm new here and just stumbled onto this thread. The difference between you in late-May and you today is incredible. You're so much clearer and comprehensible. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Reading your posts about the hell you went through with withdrawal made me very thankful that I never had to go through anything that severe, and it serves as a good reminder that if I started to drink again, I could end up going through something that awful.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm glad I could actually help some other people here. That means the world to me, if I could actually be a **** up and be helpful to somebody. Thanks guys for replying, but now I need your help again... I have relapsed, and during my stay at the treatment facility I have gotten a sponsor, so her and I are gonna talk later on. But I'm getting drunk right now and I seriously don't know what to do. I left the facility I was at and just walked out. I was supposed to get done next Tuesday but they wannna keep adding days. I mean. I was supposed to get done last Wednesday. I don't know guys, I really think think about ending my lift. I'm scared and I'm confused... Please help.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

JosetteCollins: I hope you get help before you have to go through that. Honestly, if you have a problem with alcohol, you should get into a facility where they will help you. Yeah it is hell, I wouldn't with it on my worst enemy. Stay clean, You deserve that kinda life. Thanks for reply, it really does help. Ttyl
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tasuku View Post
Hey, I'm glad I could actually help some other people here. That means the world to me, if I could actually be a **** up and be helpful to somebody. Thanks guys for replying, but now I need your help again... I have relapsed, and during my stay at the treatment facility I have gotten a sponsor, so her and I are gonna talk later on. But I'm getting drunk right now and I seriously don't know what to do. I left the facility I was at and just walked out. I was supposed to get done next Tuesday but they wannna keep adding days. I mean. I was supposed to get done last Wednesday. I don't know guys, I really think think about ending my lift. I'm scared and I'm confused... Please help.
What was your main reason for leaving the facility?