Notices

Suboxone??!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Suboxone??!

Hey all,

I have a question for a sibling...

He and I have both suffered from depression off and on for years. We both have had alcohol issues, although he is definitely more of a "problem drinker" who can moderate when he realizes it's getting detrimental to his life.

(not that I make these distinctions or labels- but trying to explain that he's not a chronic alcoholic and he lives with another sibling who would definitely fill me in if that weren't the case)

Anyway, I went to lunch with sibling2 last week and she told me he's depressed again; I asked if he was on meds, and which one. She replied, "suboxone." I was like, "Really?!" I wasn't aware that it was prescribed for any other condition other than alcoholism.

Has anyone heard of other uses of suboxone and I just haven't done my homework? I'm not asking for medical advice- just looking for anecdotal experiences.

Thanks! S
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Suboxone is prescribed for opoid users - I've never heard it used for alcoholics or depression.

D
Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suboxone is ONLY prescribed for opioid users like the poster above said. Also, in my experience it is VERY habit forming and extremely difficult to get off. I watched my roomate go through full blown dope sickness for days on end trying to kick suboxone. The doctors apparently are good at not emphasizing this aspect of the drug. Its a fairly new treatment. They seem to want to put people on it for life.
I have other opinions on this matter, but medical advice is a sketchy topic here and I dont wanna cross any rule-boundaries..
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My understanding is that suboxone is supposed to be used only for a short period of time to help cope with opioid withdrawals...I'm not aware of it being used for treatment of alcoholism or depression. But I'm not a medical doctor, so I don't know every type of instance in which it might be prescribed. It mimics opiates so it can be quite addictive, from what I know of the drug. I, too, have lots of opinions about its use - and the doctors who prescribe it so liberally - but won't go any further because, as the above poster said, medical stuff is a slippery slope here!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

You might be hinking of noloxone vs naltrexone.. like other posters said its for opiate treatment.