Notices

I want it SO bad!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want it SO bad!

I want to be sober. Today was another day one. Eight years of heavy, daily drinking and I am female- so I know what that can mean if I don't stop right now, and forever. I was shocked that my blood tests came back normal last October. I'm 36, so hopefully I'm young enough still that ceasing my intake of elixirs can keep me in a good state of health. I have a bottle of antabuse that I am waiting to hear from my shrink about as far as drug interactions, as I am on an anti depressant. I was feeling good, had three weeks, and blew it. I have reached out to a friend as well. I know he can't do the work, only I can- but the support is nice and I like knowing that someone I can talk to is there.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong sleepie. Seriously - let's try to make this your last "day one". You can do this. Do it before your health goes South.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I have reached out to a friend as well. I know he can't do the work, only I can- but the support is nice and I like knowing that someone I can talk to is there.

Hey you. :-)

Hopefully you'll reach out to more than one! The weight of our burden kills us alone. But it's still far too heavy for just one other person. Do you have a circle of recovery friends or phone numbers? It really does wonders to ease the struggle and the accompanying pain.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hey sleepie - you had 3 weeks and you can do it again. Remember, you only have to do it for today. Write down why you want/need to get sober and look at it several times a day if you have to (or read some of the old posts on SR - that helped me quite a bit and convinced me this is a life/death matter).

It's maddening, I know. We have a few days or weeks of sobriety and we forget how desperate we were to stop drinking. I have to keep those memories alive right now or my old thoughts and habits will come back automatically. Hang in there!:day6
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey sleepie

I won't rehash what these guys said ^ it's all good stuff - especially the point about getting as much support as you can.

You've gotten sober before so I know you can do this

D
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sleepie,

You can do this! Good for you to reach out to a friend.

"One day at a time" really helped me.

Hoping for you
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like has beensaid do you have a program you will be using? Got a counselor lined up? I wanted to be sober for years but it took action to do so...

I was a bit like i really want to win the lottery...but cant be assed to buy a ticket, wish you some luck:-)
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Don't beat yourself up. I can't count the number of times I vowed to stop, only to pick up again and again. It was a merry-go-round that I rode for nearly 30 years. It finally got to a point where it was impacting my physical and mental health, so I finally decided to just stop. That was just over 11 months ago and it was the best decision I ever made.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

I have never heard of Antabuse being contraindicated with any anti-depressant unless you are treating depression with alcohol. For what its worth Anatbuse was a tool I used many years ago that was an asset when my life turned 180 degrees for the better. Course there was a lot of other work involved, but I have nothing, but postive things to say about Antabuse.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I appreciate your comments! I have a counselor who specializes in addiction. I have been seeing her for several months and it took a long time to get the anti depressants because it's state funded care but they made a difference once I finally had them- after a couple months. I think I'm a good client- I hide nothing from her so that she can help me in the best way possible. I called her this weekend and left a message letting her know I'd been drinking (I was NOT inebriated when I called!) and asked about the antabuse. I have been dieting, cut out caffeine and getting more exercise... I think I'm on the right path, there's just one thing I need to STOP doing. Thanks again for taking the time to read and post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

Your meds will work a whole lot better when you stop mixing them with alcohol.. I know mine do!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I'm glad to see you say you want to put a stop to it.