Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just saw an old friend, when he left, I vomitted.

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm at work right now, and theres a guy.. 42 yrs old, I haven't seen him in about 6 months.. He came in to get some supplies, and was yellow, about 95 lbs.. He said hi, hows the drinking.. I said I can't drink.. And he patted on his shorts pocket and he had a 5th in there..

He literally looked like a walking corpse. I gave him a hug and said goodbye, knowing that I won't see him again alive.

I told his "handler" to take him to the ER like now, even though I know its way too late. He was told 2 years ago he'd be dead soon as he already had cirroshis.

I've never seen any of my friends die from liver disease from alcohol. This will be the first of many more to come.

I still feel sick to my stomach.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry- that must have been very hard to see. I hope you are doing everything you can to ensure you have a healthy life style. It's a struggle, I am currently handling it myself. We can do this.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post really moved me. It's too bad that your friend is going through that, and I feel for you having to see him like that. ((hugs))
Old 05-22-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry about your friend.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you had to see that. My adoptive father died in 1994 from alcoholic Cirrosis. Fortunately, I was not on speaking terms with him, and didn't see him before he died.

I don't know how your spiritual belief system works, but I'll tell you what. My higher power is ruthless about helping me keep my sh*t together. When I first got off meth in 1995... every single house I lived in until 2009, had a tweaker in my line of sight.... right there, reminding me of what was in store for me if I relapsed. It worked. Really well, until the death of my husband in 2008, and the ensuing mess I became as a result.

I know this was one of the hardest things you have ever been through, today. Especially with the struggle you are going through. Do you think maybe you need to get an idea of where you could end up if you keep drinking? I don't really believe in coincedence anymore. There is a reason you saw your friend in that state. I hope it is a memory you can use to keep yourself sober, though I know it was excruciating.....

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Know what you mean.
l brought an "old friend" to detox this week. (2nd time in 8 months)
He could not stand on his legs.
l was once like that but am so glad l am not anymore.
The only thing that scares me is that it could be me in 3 weeks or 3 years.. Hope not..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry and don't know what else to say.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a shame people have to go that far, but that's what alcoholism does. It kills us but not fast enough. We die really slow! And unfortunately, everyone we come in contact with is affected by the disease. I'm not sorry that you saw what you saw ImReady. I believe God provides us with what we need to hear, see and feel, and it's up to us to head the message. Did you get the message??
Old 05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dunno.. I'm still pretty torn up about it.. But it was definatly a wake up call.. I could see my future (we drank about the same amount daily).. we used to drink together.. Ugh..
Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your friend IRTQ.

D
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I dunno.. I'm still pretty torn up about it.. But it was definatly a wake up call.. I could see my future (we drank about the same amount daily).. we used to drink together.. Ugh..
"there but for the grace of God, go I."

definition:

English

1.A recognition that others' misfortune could be one's own, if it weren't for the blessing/kindness/luck bestowed by fate or the Divine.
2.Man's fate is in God's hands.
3.More generally, our fate is not entirely in our own hands.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am also glad you saw that. Eventually, if you drink enough, it will catch up to you. That's sad that he thinks it's still ok to drink - walkin around with a fifth in his pocket all jaundiced out. Well obviously he knows he's on deaths doorstep. Just ring the bell.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post, ImReady - it will help quite a few people stay sober today, including me. It's hard to see something like that and I'm sorry your friend didn't get help in time.

I think it's really important for people to realize how deadly this is in so many ways. We always think that such a thing wouldn't happen to us, as we pour toxic liquid down our throats. I wish they would run specials on TV showing exactly how alcohol attacks the body. I've been through treatment and in AA and was never aware until I did my own research lately. It's very sad.
Hugs going out to you......
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink hey

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I'm at work right now, and theres a guy.. 42 yrs old, I haven't seen him in about 6 months.. He came in to get some supplies, and was yellow, about 95 lbs.. He said hi, hows the drinking.. I said I can't drink.. And he patted on his shorts pocket and he had a 5th in there..

He literally looked like a walking corpse. I gave him a hug and said goodbye, knowing that I won't see him again alive.

I told his "handler" to take him to the ER like now, even though I know its way too late. He was told 2 years ago he'd be dead soon as he already had cirroshis.

I've never seen any of my friends die from liver disease from alcohol. This will be the first of many more to come.

I still feel sick to my stomach.
So Sorry to hear that. But it to will pass. :ghug3
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I wish they would run specials on TV showing exactly how alcohol attacks the body. I've been through treatment and in AA and was never aware until I did my own research lately. It's very sad.
Art,

Actually there was a show like this in the UK and I am pretty sure it is on you tube here. It covered 3 alcoholics, one recovered, one died of liver failure and one was a guy who had not actually had a drink for 10 years but had Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome aka wet brain. I'll find it and post it back here but the name eludes me for the moment.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Art,

Actually there was a show like this in the UK and I am pretty sure it is on you tube here. It covered 3 alcoholics, one recovered, one died of liver failure and one was a guy who had not actually had a drink for 10 years but had Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome aka wet brain. I'll find it and post it back here but the name eludes me for the moment.
The one that comes to my mind is "Rain in my heart", a britisch BBC documentary that follows several alcohlics in Kent. I don't know if it is the one you were thinking about. It is poignant and downright heart-wrenching to watch, but it is also a reminder that this is the reality of alcoholism. I'm pretty sure that because of this, it has helped some people to stay sober the day they watched it. It can be found on youtube if you search for the the title.

@ Newbeginning: Your post reminded me, and without a doubt also other readers that this disease wins sometimes, and it moved me. I'm really sorry for your friend and that you had this experience.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rain in my Heart is the one I was thinking of.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wish I would have seen that BBC movie 10 years ago
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Art,

The guy with the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome died in that flick as well.

Man, that was a brutal movie. That should be shown in high schools for juniors and seniors...and maybe in college as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My friends Dad had wet brain...he was a millionaire and an accomplished race car driver, always showing off his dozens of trophies...point is he wasn't a stupid man...but 3 years before he died the docs said you can live another decade if you dont drink, the only thing that progresses this disease is drinking, if you dont drink you wont get better but you wont get worse!

3 years later he didnt even recognise his own son and later died...

So IMO yhou can show and tell all the horrific diseases, accidents etc caused by drinking but an alcoholic will drink anyway unless he makes drastic changes in himself!