Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just saw an old friend, when he left, I vomitted.

Notices

Just saw an old friend, when he left, I vomitted.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Thank you for this poster!

We should keep sobriety one day at a time. That's all I can do for me and for my family and friends.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by DetroitRock View Post
The guy with the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome died in that flick as well.

Man, that was a brutal movie. That should be shown in high schools for juniors and seniors...and maybe in college as well.
Ya know, I agree but...... I don't think it'll do anything to stop a real alcoholic. Maybe it'd be enough to jar a heavy drinking into his or her senses but no movie was going to scare me into not drinking. Besides, just knew I'd never ever drink "that" much and I'd never get to the point where I was an alcoholic like "that" guy.

Best deterrent any alki's ever going to get is by watching the examples set by recovered people who've been where he or she is now yet now have a kick-butt life being recovered. The responsibility to help a "budding alcoholic" falls on those of us who've recovered from alcoholism. That's part of our duty (I think) as recovered alki's.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Alcoholism is a vicious disease and I lost my grandfather to it. Hopefully, he is in a better place.

I also wanted to say that I just watched Rain in My Heart thanks to this post and how moving and powerful was that! Yes, I do believe it should be shown. I could identify with those in the film and it hit home for me as to how I felt when I did drink. It was soooo depressing because it was true. You see them sober and then when they are drinking how out of control they become. I was one of those folks and I am in recovery now. It is never to late to quit.