Notices

really, REALLY want to drink

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

really, REALLY want to drink

I am trying to make it the 11 days sober, but the urge is really coming on strong. I want to have some drinks. I know I cant drink tonight, but the mental chess game is all too much right now. With it being the weekend, a pleasant 65 degrees outside, a bottle of wine(big bottle) on the deck would be so nice! I dont no what to do!

I do know what to do but the mental anguish is a heavy burden right now.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to get those thoughts too - until I trained myself to think them through to their logical conclusion.

If you're anything like me, it won't be genteel sips of wine on the deck 'stuk...it'll be sickness, embarrassment, regret, self hatred and who knows what else for who knows how long....

Don't fall for the lies.

Like I said to someone else here today - maybe it's time to try something different that just resisting the impulse?

You just get tired and worn out that way - and vulnerable.

Think about getting some face to face support, mate.

D
Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Urges lose their power when I challenge them. Sure drinking sounds good but...what about those times when I was completely defeated and gravely remorseful when I gave into those urges. Yuck!

Concertinaing on some diversion has helped me in the past. When I take my attention off my urges...they lose power. They (urges) especially lose their influence when I study down on recovery material. This is where addition program literature comes in to play...keeps me on task so to speak.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can emphathize with you, need....

The problem is: what happens when the big bottle of wine is gone? How soon will you want another one? See, that's what I have to think of. It's not about a nice evening on the deck. It's about wanting to drink on the deck the next day and the next day, and before you know it, you're not on the deck anymore - you're in the hospital.

So, like Dee says, play the tape to the end. I know the only reason I have those oppressive thoughts is because I'm an alcoholic. But each time I get through a night of them, I have a little more confidence. And they are worse at night. Sometimes I stop them by turning my attention to something else, sometimes I just wait them out. I even yell inside my head at them. My favorite, though, is reading and posting on SR. It reminds me of why I want and need this.

Hang in there......
Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Sure it can be difficult with the anguish and all sitting out on your deck. So make a change. Get into action and see some people who are just like you in some meetings. Get some help and give some help.

Wanting to drink is not a surprise. Drinking is not a surprise. Staying sober and getting more sober that would be a nice change and surprise! You can do it!

RR
Old 05-22-2010, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Need, this is only one instance you are sharing, but maybe you should redefine the purpose of your deck. Is it your drinking platform? Or is it to have food outside with other people in the open air and merely sit out there? When we would drink (used to drink), we repurposed just about everything in our midst, from furniture to toiletries, according to the experience of alcohol consumption, until our addiction bulldozed down every aspect of life that got in its way. That's not even looking at what our body and internal organs are for. When we quit drinking, everything returns to a proper purpose. Let other people use their deck to sit "and drink"; their house to live in "and drink"; their toothbrush to brush their teeth "and clean away the alochol." For those of us that can't drink, we use our things for a different reason. Make that the mental chess game!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

What are you doing to support your recovery?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Change your focus. Stop thinking about weekends and 65 degree F weather.

When I got the urges to drink alcohol I drank water instead and called all my AA friends.

The feeling will pass, like pain or a cloudy afternoon. So too the crave...
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i made it yesterday, but cant say much right now, the fam has a nasty case of food poisoning going through us, me included...glad i didnt drink in addition
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee... I tell myself it will pass, and that has worked in the past during periods of sobriety. It's usually emotional upset that brings me back. I have been employing long walks and exploring zen meditation to help me stay on top of my emotions. It has not been perfect, but these things do help- as long as I stick to them.