Notices

Im definately going to need some help

Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im definately going to need some help

Really wasn't much of a drinker at all until about 2 years ago. It started out on weekends I would drink friday and saturday nights. I guess all my friends and even family socially drank on weekends. I noticed a problem about a year ago, when I told my fiance I haven't gone a weekend without a drink in a very long time. About a year my weekend drinking started to spill over onto sundays during the day.

Never missed work or anything like that, but in about a year ago I started noticing I was having minor anxiety/panic attacks at work on mondays after a really long wekeend of drinking.

That got me concerned about my habits, and it almost seems as soon as I figured out I had a problem my drinking spun out of control to drinking at times a week straight.

A month ago I got let go from my job and ended up landing a work at home job which is even better, but that basically lets me drink almost every night.

I dont seem to get the anxiety unless I drink a real lot, or for a long period in hours. I decided I want to stop completely, and I figured I'd have one last hurrah this past week. This morning I woke up basically still drunk from drinking all day yesterday. I stopped at about 10:30 when I basically passed out. I have a breathalyzer and I am just now getting to the point of having 0.00 BAC.

My problem is I have such horrible anxiety I almost need to get drunk to take it away. I'm in a horrible spiral here, and I want out. I just figured I'd try and occupy myself, to take my mind off the anxiety and I found this forum, I hope it can help me like it helps others.

I am really in the pits mentally right now, I feel guilty and like such a loser for doing this to myself. I'm shaking pretty badly having a hard time typing.

I hope I can get through today, I think my symptoms will lighten up alot if I get past today.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well Paul, you sound a lot like me when I first started drinking. I drank mainly on weekends 'cause that's when most of the parties were happening. When I went in to the military, it seemed like the best way to have friends and get into "the crowd" was to have a few beers. I didn't have too many bad experiences at first but after several years, the drinking became for frequent and more bad things started to happen. My parents instilled good morals in me growning up but the more I drank, the more excuses I came up with to make exceptions to my upbringing. Near the end, the guilt I felt over the way I treated my wife and kids was taking me down, right along with my financial situation and relationships with other people. I used to go to work in a fog. I had trouble putting a sentence together and was shaking inside; don't know about outside. I do know that a little fur off the dog that bit me always seemed to calm me down.

I'm pretty straight forward here as some will attest to so I'm not going to change with you. Instead of staying at home and dealing with this by yourself, I'd suggest you go to an AA meeting and just give it a try. What have you got to lose? It will get you out of the house and around people who've been through, and felt what you're going through. Go to one or two meetings a week for a month and if you don't feel like it's helping, try something else. Usually people who come to this forum, are concerned about their alcohol consumption and what it's doing to them. People who are concerned, don't normally come here. They don't have a problem. I can tell you this without fear of exception that if you are alcoholic and keep on drinking, things will get worse with time. That's the sad thing about drug alcohol. It doesn't take us down as fast as some other drugs. It takes a long slow process before we're down and out, broke, nuts, in jail or an institution, and totally alone. If it would only kill us quickly...but it doesn't. We die slowly unless we quit entirely. There's no in between....at least for me. My prayers are with you as you make your choices.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Paul - Welcome!
I know it's difficult to admit you have a problem, but SR is a place where people know exactly what you're talking about. I found it was actually a kind of relief just to tell somebody. We all need a ton of support especially at the beginning.

It's rough when the withdrawal kicks in, not to give up and get that drink. But you can do this. Things will only get worse if you keep going for the booze. You may have to take it an hour at a time to deal with the cravings, the shakiness, etc. The anxiety and depression are part of the withdrawals too, and it should only take a couple days for that to go away. Believe me, if you hang in there (keep reading/posting, eat, drink water, B vitamins, etc), you'll want to kiss yourself in the morning!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I went from a weekend drinker to an everyday drinker and it damn near killed me. Stick around there is a ton of great support here.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah my biggest problem is the anxiety. It gets really bad at the peak right about now, 15 hours or so from last drink. If I can overcome this for a few days I think I will be fine. And I already told my family if this doesn't work I need to go see a doctor and AA. THis has to stop. I haven't actually lost anything yet. No relationship trouble, just I can see how all that is in my near future if I dont address this issue RIGHT NOW.

I am drinking alot of water, sipping on all day. I was up since 4:30am this morning, so I'm really trying to rehydrate. I didn't have any steady drinking until about 3.5 weeks ago, and it started out spurratic, but the last 10 days or so I have been drinking almost every day. Honestly.. I keep saying to myself, what the hell is wrong with me, then I do the same thing over and over.

Right now I feel guilty, scared, mad, and stupid all at the exact same time.

Oh and I definately admind I've got an issue, there is no denying that, I wont even try to kid myself. I am just not able to drink one or two and be happy. Impossible. But I have gone nights out with out any alcohol mostly when I drive.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

and obviously my biggest fear is dying from this withdrawal. I have only been drinking consecutive nights for 2 weeks, I'm thinking back now. I took week day breaks at the beginning.

I dont want to end up in the ER. I have a prescription for ativan which is for anxiety but it seems from reading this site it helps with these withdrawal issues, I am thinking of taking 1 - 1mg pill to help me out.

this might be doing more harm than good being on here, because everyone keeps saying things about dying from withdrawal.

that is scaring me and making my anxiety worse.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hi Paul.

I can identify with what you said. I don't know that I had bad anxiety but if I felt, say, 75% on a "normal" day, a drink or two would bump me up to 95%. That "95% feeling" was my goal. One problem, however, was that I'm an alcoholic and once I started I'd almost always over-shoot the target. The other major part of alcoholism is that, when you're NOT drinking, it's....well....I'll use your words:
Right now I feel guilty, scared, mad, and stupid all at the exact same time.
So we're stuck in a conundrum. Don't drink and feel like garbage vs. drink ...which usually leads to over-drinking..... and feel like garbage. Like you, I knew my drinking was A problem but it wasn't THE problem. I really just got stuck over-using it to try to feel better. -- That my friend, is alcoholISM and it's nothing to be trifled with. Like Music said, it just gets worse with time whether you're drinking or not! See, the real problems that "cause" the drinking need to be treated. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to work on them when the shield of drunkenness is in effect. Just "not drinking" is a start but, sooner or later, the pain from all those other issues hits a point when we just say, "F*** it!" and grab a beer/bottle all over again.

AA is about treating the "other stuff" that's knockin' the hell outta you. It's not just a "we don't drink club." I was sooooo pissed at myself that I'd gotten to the point where I needed to try AA but I went anyway. The cool thing is everyone there understood how I felt. They knew I didn't want to be there, they knew I didn't really want to quit drinking, they knew I was mad, sad, disappointed in myself, and so on...... They all had felt that way themselves and had found a way out of that crummy squirrel cage.

Once I got willing to start accepting some help - especially on the mental and spiritual parts of my life/my head........man.......things started getting better pretty quickly. AA took a while to "click" in my head that it would work for me but I was sooooooo arrogant that I didn't really WANT a solution that I hadn't thought of myself. For sure, give it a shot.....an honest shot. You might find it's cooler than you think.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great that you are able to see that alcohol is a problem before you've lost anything important in your life, because believe me, if you keep turning to alcohol, you will lose a lot. Not everyone has to have the skid row bottom, and I hope this bottom is enough for you to realize that sobriety is a much better way of life.

Remember that no one can do it alone. You may feel like alcohol is the only thing that helps your anxiety, but consider talking with someone about your anxiety and trying to discover the root of it. How does alcohol help you get through the anxiety? What other outlets could you use to alleviate the anxiety? Alcohol may seem like the only solution, but in reality it is just a bandage...it may take it away for a while, but those problems are still there and they continue to grow.

Again, congrats on making a healthy choice in your life. All those feelings of guilt, anger, and sadness will pass. Just remember, it's one day at a time.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You sound like me when I got started drinking 14 years ago. I made the move to everyday drinking after a few months of weekend drinking and it has consumed my life for the last 14 years. I wish to have some of the time and memories(or lack thereof) back. Anyway, I have been sober now 10 days and can say in my case I was extremely anxious for the first 4-5 days, then it has started to slowly become manageable. Some other positives are that I am starting to get some fantastic, restful sleep over the past couple of days and I dont wake up the next day feeling like I need to drink 4 32 oz cups of water to rehydrate. Overall, I miss the drinking and get cravings all the time(especially when I get done wth work) but I am starting to get addicted to the good rest and clear head. I recently signed up to run a 5k in 5 weeks to "force" myself to excercise. The more I am up and at 'em, the less I crave the booze. Perhaps that may be a good idea for you as well. Good luck to you Paul32, I am glad you are seeing things for what they are now rather than after many more years of your life pass.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah I feel like I am a responsible person and this drinking habit is making me slightly less responsible every day. As far as my withdrawal so far I am hanging in there. I've got another issue with a fiance who likes to have 1 glass of wine or a beer at night while watching tv. I already told her we need to cut that out for a while, but I am sensing this will be a problem for me.

I am fortunate to have the sense to know that I've got a problem, and I am 32. I guess thats not that young, but its better than letting this go on for 10 years.. I have friends who are as bad or worse than me and they think its normal. It is not. when these symptoms of withdrawal hit me, its almost impossible not ignore them. I am probably going to have to call AA and see where they are around me.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

I thought I was treating my anxiety too, until I realized I was causing it by drinking so much.. it completely went away after about a week for me. When I quit, I was on trazadone for 3 days to prevent seizures.. I encourage you to see a doc, withdrawal can be fatal.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fiance.. non-alcoholics can quit drinking without a second thought about it. I know I had to rid my house of alcohol for a few months (and lots of counseling) before I was comfy being around it again.. but my hubby isnt' an alcoholic, so it never returned to the house.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

most people who die from withdrawals do so from drinking for a LONG time and all of the sudden, quit. my last bender was 14 years. the last month, i was drinking a half gallon of VAT69 a day to detox from a heavy prescription drug habit. ...looking back that was probably a bad idea. LOL

the alcohol withdrawal lasted about 2 weeks. my blood pressure went as high as 198/118 and i thought i was gonna have a stroke. i had several seizures and it was by the grace of God that i survived.

if you really feel that bad, go see a doctor. many will prescribe withdrawal meds without having to go to rehab. call ahead to an immediate care center and see if they treat alcohol wthdrawal.

aside form that, 95% of people who quit alcohol cold turkey will survive the withdrawal proccess. still...be smart about it, and don't be a hero. there's soldliering through mild withdrawal and then there's being dumb when you need to be in the hospital after a long battle with this disease. just use your head.

hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Paul, I have been struggling with panic attacks & anxiety for over 20 years & have tried & taken everything I could find to alleviate them.

After 2 weeks of quitting drinking the levels of my anxiety reduced substantially and with exercise & a good diet it is getting better & better every day.

Dont get me wrong... the real life day to day anxiety & stress is still there but I am better at handling & reacting to it. My worst anxiety & panic attacks came the day/morning after a drinking binge.

Stay close to SR & talk to your doctor about putting together a plan of action. I promise you will feel better if you quit drinking, start an exercise program (even daily walks) and get some emotional support/program (counseling, AA or whatever works for you).

Its time to take your life back... now!

Take Care,

NB
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yeah i actually dont have any anxiety when I dont drink.
2 weeks ago before i started drinking like this, i was fine, i dont even take any medicine for it. Its exactly like you said, horrible anxiety the next morning after really doing something stupid. Which is what I'm dealing with now.

I'm done with that. My real drinking binging has been going on for a period less than a month, so I'm hoping I dont have any real health problems from the withdrawal. If it is this bad from a month I can't even imagine a year. I'm only off it about 18hours, so I guess the worst is yet to come. I dont feel sick at all and my shaking has actually improved, I'm not having any issues at the moment except the tight chest, heart beating kinda fast and anxiety.

i decided to take something tonigh to help me sleep, hopefully tomorrow will be better for me.

thanks for all the advice everyone, this is helping me, at least I can discuss it somewhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but sorry everyone has to go through this.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paul32 View Post
yeah i actually dont have any anxiety when I dont drink.
2 weeks ago before i started drinking like this, i was fine, i dont even take any medicine for it. Its exactly like you said, horrible anxiety the next morning after really doing something stupid. Which is what I'm dealing with now.

I'm done with that. My real drinking binging has been going on for a period less than a month, so I'm hoping I dont have any real health problems from the withdrawal. If it is this bad from a month I can't even imagine a year. I'm only off it about 18hours, so I guess the worst is yet to come. I dont feel sick at all and my shaking has actually improved, I'm not having any issues at the moment except the tight chest, heart beating kinda fast and anxiety.

i decided to take something tonigh to help me sleep, hopefully tomorrow will be better for me.

thanks for all the advice everyone, this is helping me, at least I can discuss it somewhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but sorry everyone has to go through this.
Good to hear you are feeling better, the first couple of days can be tough. Have you talked with you doctor about your drinking & quitting? Its always better safe than sorry.

All of the best in your recovery,

NB
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have NOT talked to my doctor yet. I basically made this decision this morning, because I'm tired of waking up with anxiety at 4 in the morning.

I figured if I can't do it on my own the first time I will have to go to see someone and AA. This is the real first time I tried to stop completely.

Its not going to be easy.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Paul. I can tell from your writing that you are in the grips of a panic attack. I know because I've had many the same exactly like you. I would often project the worst possible scenario and then convince myself that there was a very good chance it could become reality. The likelihood of you dying from an alcohol withdrawl is pretty slim and it is almost certaintly the anxiety attacks that is putting these thoughts in your head.

Good news, bad news. Start with the bad. Unfortunately I continued to have severe anxiety attacks for about the first ten days after I became sober. They were pretty overwhelming and uncomfortable. The good news is after those first ten days, the darkness lifted noticeably and I haven't experienced anything remotely intense as those days since. I'ld be lying if I said I still didn't feel anxious or apprehensive about some things some time, but nothing like the chaotic, OMG, I have no control and the world is about to end, feeling that can only be brought on after a heavy drinking session.

Trust me, stay sober and check-in here as much as you can and you will have many brighter days ahead.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul

Welcome.
I spent years treating my anxiety with booze too - I just ended up making it worse.

If you find it comes back when you're sober, pls see a Dr - there's far better ways to treat anxiety.

In fact see a Dr anyway - it never hurts...detox can be troublesome for some.

I don't go to AA but I'd be lying if I said it was easy doing this on your own (of course, I didn't - I spend a lot of time working with others).

Do think about going and checking some kind of recovery programme out - we can use all the support we can get, Paul.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

D
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well I made it through the night. I did take a 1mg ativan and it calmed me down enough to at least the the 800lb gorilla on my chest feeling. I was waking up every few hours completely soaked from sweatting. No problem, otherwise though. I got a decent nights sleep.

I slept in alittle later than usual today, I feel fantastic compared to yesterday. Still foggy headed a bit, but I feel like I can focus on things a little better, plus no shaking.

I never treated my anxiety with alcohol, it was the other way around, if I drink too much too often, I get anxiety from withdrawal I think. I'm not sure, either way the alcohol makes it a thousand times worse.

Knowing my body I can tell you I believe the worst part for me will be 48 hours without drinking. I am 36 hrs in. I am not having any panic issues today. I plan to stay close to home for one more day just to make sure I'm not tempted to do anything stupid.

I have a pool to clean and grass to cut if I feel up to it. Still have no appetite yet. Tried to eat my favorite food ( courtesy of the fiance ) last night and just kinda nibbled.

I noticed I was unusually itchy last night, I dont know if that is related to the withdrawal or not. I imagine it has to be. My fiance and I agreed she can have whatever she wants to drink after I go to sleep, I go to bed at 11pm she stays up to 1 or so because she works later shift.

all in all this has been helpful. I will continue to post my progress. If I get through tonight I think I will be in good shape for the upcoming week. Then I'll have to see if I have any of that Post acute issues.

thx again. I really havn't broken any records here with being one day sober, becuase I have gone 2 weeks without it as early as last year, and plenty of single weeks without it, but this is a start.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paul32 View Post

I noticed I was unusually itchy last night, I dont know if that is related to the withdrawal or not. I imagine it has to be. My fiance and I agreed she can have whatever she wants to drink after I go to sleep, I go to bed at 11pm she stays up to 1 or so because she works later shift.
absolutely it is. i had it for awhile after i quit, but it does go away.

i resorted to wearing long sleeve shirts and jeans to bed to combat the itch..that helped me alot.