Notices

What is ESH?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is ESH?

I have a bit of a clue what this is, but not much beyond that.

What is ESH and why is it so important that I share it?

I feel like I don't want to reveal personal stuff about myself, so I am very hesitant to share.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Experience Strength and Hope
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

The idea is that when sharing or responding, one doesn't offer up advice or opinions. One rather shares their personal experience with a given situation - what worked for them, what didn't, etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

E = What it was like
S = What happened
H = What it is like now
Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Someone might hear exactly what they need to in your ESH. In fact many might hear something in there. You've got to give it away to keep it

Mark
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is scary letting the cat out of the bag. Your "personal stuff" is not here. You are "spryte" and that is it. I had to look at it that way in order to write. I don't think I could have if my real name, address, etc. was available. Now I want to know your story, we all do.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I think, it's important to remind people of the yets. Amazing, how we keep lowering our standards.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
I have a bit of a clue what this is, but not much beyond that.

I feel like I don't want to reveal personal stuff about myself, so I am very hesitant to share.
Good question!

The entire AA Big Book is also an example of what defines ESH among alcoholics. Sharing ESH among alcoholics is how AA came into creation and continues to sustain it throughout the world today.

For me, i like what is found in chapter 11, "The Doctor's Nightmare" all of which sums up nicely why ESH is vitally important. The quotes below explain plainly enough:

[all quotes BB 1st edition]

--"I spend a great deal of time passing on what I learned to others who want and need it badly. I do it for four reasons:
  1. Sense of duty.
  2. It is a pleasure.
  3. Because in so doing I am paying my debt to the man who took time to pass it on to me.
  4. Because every time I do it I take out a little more insurance for myself against a possible slip."
--"Of far more importance was the fact that he was the first living human with whom I had ever talked, who knew what he was talking about in regard to alcoholism from actual experience. In other words, he talked my language. He knew all the answers, and certainly not because he had picked them up in his reading."

--"If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink."

Revealing personal stuff about ourselves is difficult of course, and we really need to be honest and responsible that we are sharing strictly for a purpose of helping ourselves and others to recover and remain recovered from the sickness of alcoholism.

Sharing for other reasons seems pointless and causes more harm than good. Unfortunately, not all "sharing" from members is actual ESH, and that is just the way things are in the real world of alcoholism.

So yeah, be hesitant in not just blabbing on about whatever, and listen to others with an ear that rings true to real experience; but be assured that sharing ESH is absolutely important to living the sober life!

Cheers!

Robby
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
Stick around long enough to get some ESH and you'll answer both questions, and get over the fear of sharing. It's about giving back what you've received.