Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I learned a valuable lesson about myself last night

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey, sorry if this post isnt right for this forum. Not sure where else to post it.

Anyway, I turned 21 a couple of months ago. I had never gotten drunk, mainly because I haven't been that drawn to liquor. I am way more attracted to drugs that stimulate, but you know, you do what you can to avoid bad situations, whatever substance is involved.

Last night, there was a wedding. And at that wedding, there was an open bar. I made it a rule to only have one drink- but one turned to four by the end of the night with social pressure and the increasing frustration I got with my mother acting way younger than her age. I don't remember much besides little tidbits of stuff. Four drinks dont sound like a lot, but mind you, I am a lightweight and they were very potent beverages.

Long story short, I learned that I don't ever want to get drunk again, or develop a drinking habit. I am the only one today in my family to be having a 'hangover'. My sister and my mom both feel they had a blast and they want to do it again, but I am frustrated, scared, and sad that I put myself in that situation.

I do remember my mom being very loud, something that bugged me. I also remember drinking so I would more easily ignore her.

So, in the end of the day, I feel like I learned a lesson and thankfully I wasn't sucked in. I don't want to look like my mom when I'm older, and I don't want to be in another situation where I look like I have my eyes open underwater, and all that bad stuff.

Today, everyone was talking about how fun it was to drink and party- except for me. I just kept to myself and felt ashamed of what I did. I was angry that such even happened.

So, I don't know what to discuss other than to get some other opinions and reflections. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The very first time I got drunk... The police were called on us.

That's not "normal" drinking...

I often wish, or even regret, not stopping then...

I'd strongly urge you to seek ways to fulfill your want to not drink.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like if you can't beat em - join em. Then you were like why did I do that, they are acting a fool. Yes, people act differently when they get hammered and it is not always pretty. You hopefully learned a good lesson - alcohol is not for you. Now lets talk about your drug use. Not any better Teal!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man I wish I get in my time machine and talk to 21-year old "ConfusedNC." Trust me, you are not missing out on much by sticking to the straight-and-narrow. Yes, there were good times, but the drinking I did in the 12 years since I was your age was 99% bad and 1% good. And the 1% is probably not as good as I remember it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by schem9 View Post
Sounds like if you can't beat em - join em. Then you were like why did I do that, they are acting a fool. Yes, people act differently when they get hammered and it is not always pretty. You hopefully learned a good lesson - alcohol is not for you. Now lets talk about your drug use. Not any better Teal!
Yeah, I've only been off of my DoC and almost all stimulants (besides caffeine) for a couple of weeks, and I'm not looking back but I sometimes, unwittingly, practice substitution, which I don't believe is good. I have to find good, healthy coping mechanisms. That, or figure out how to deal with myself.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trying to "deal with" yourself is hard work. I still have a very hard time with that--such as right now, since I'm procrastinating writing a paper. I have so much fear--it's totally irrational--but it's there nonetheless.

Don't go down the train wreck railway that is addiction--to anything. For me, it was alcohol. You are young--save yourself that pain and misery.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the important part of your post is that you drank to medicate a situation. It's not a good way to go really, because I drank to medicate my situation all the time. Nervous? Drink. Sad? Drink. Happy? Drink. Feeling out of place? Drink etc etc etc etc etc

I see alcohol for what it is now. Some people are great with alcohol, they have a couple of glasses of wine etc and you wouldn't even know they were drinking. Most people are boring/loud/obnoxious/irritating when they drink, and it's safe to say that I was one of those people. Sad part is I was always drunk! Ugh.

Anyway you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, good luck.