Notices

Living a normal life

Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living a normal life

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I started a thread on here. Just going to update with what is going on in my life. Today is day 75 for me and life has been "normal". I visited my aunt today and she knows of my alcoholism. In fact, she is a little more connected than other family members because she is in Al-anon for her husband. Anyways, we had lunch and i'm currently training for a aquathlon and I was telling her that I was open water swimming this morning for 2 miles. I dont think she really cared but she told me that she was just happy to see me living life. By the way, during my swim, a group of dolphins starting swimming next to me and the group. It was amazing but it freaked me out at first cause i thought it was a shark.

Like the title of this thread, currently i'm living a normal life. Every day, I wake up when i'm supposed to wake up and I go to class. I train, study, go to aa meetings and do errands. I actually get the feeling of not having enough hours in a day and I cant wait until Saturday arrives. Saturdays are where I get to just unwind, sober of course. As each sober day passes, I find myself doing what i'm supposed to be doing. I am progressing in life and feeling good about it. None of this would have been possible if I was still drinking. I was actually one of those NON functioning drunks and the last time I drank, I knew my binge wouldnt have lasted another 2 more days. How horrible is it that even though you want to keep drinking, your body wont let you? I guess maybe it is just my higher power intervening.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey man. Gald you are doing well. I was a NON functioning drunk too. If I was drinking then I was drinking. I couldn't do anything else. I didn't want to do anything else. I would have drank myself to death and been OK with that as long as the booze never wore off.

I have managed to totally rebuild my life too. All thanks to staying sober 'one day at a time'. Without my sobriety then I have absolutely nothing but alcoholism and drug addiction.

Nice one dude.

Increase The Peace
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Non functioning alcoholic here too. I was always so jealous of those damned functioning alcoholics, how did they do it??

heh

For me it was either booze or life. And in my still early days of sobriety my life has been absolutely amazing. Like someone else here said, I've never woken up in the morning and wished I had been drinking the night before.

Excellent post mate.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrads on day 75!! and to a normal life!!! isn't it just a wonderful feeling!! I just love waking up on Sunday without being hungover!! and just the freedom to do things that alcohol would have taken over..... My life before was always about the next drink...when could I have it...it was the center of the universe....

Love that you were swimming with the dolphins!! beautiful!! could see how you would think they were sharks at first!!!

Thanks for your post!! and happy to see you doing so well!!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 17 days sober. If the symphony of reality allows I will try and be 75 days alcohol free. If not then **** it at least I am trying.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is awesome that you are trainning for something physical such as swimming. Your body is free of all those toxins and now you can push it to be better.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Recovery1983 View Post
Hey everyone! It has been a while since I started a thread on here. Just going to update with what is going on in my life. Today is day 75 for me and life has been "normal". I visited my aunt today and she knows of my alcoholism. In fact, she is a little more connected than other family members because she is in Al-anon for her husband. Anyways, we had lunch and i'm currently training for a aquathlon and I was telling her that I was open water swimming this morning for 2 miles. I dont think she really cared but she told me that she was just happy to see me living life. By the way, during my swim, a group of dolphins starting swimming next to me and the group. It was amazing but it freaked me out at first cause i thought it was a shark.

Like the title of this thread, currently i'm living a normal life. Every day, I wake up when i'm supposed to wake up and I go to class. I train, study, go to aa meetings and do errands. I actually get the feeling of not having enough hours in a day and I cant wait until Saturday arrives. Saturdays are where I get to just unwind, sober of course. As each sober day passes, I find myself doing what i'm supposed to be doing. I am progressing in life and feeling good about it. None of this would have been possible if I was still drinking. I was actually one of those NON functioning drunks and the last time I drank, I knew my binge wouldnt have lasted another 2 more days. How horrible is it that even though you want to keep drinking, your body wont let you? I guess maybe it is just my higher power intervening.
Just how cool is that dolphaholics AA, swimming right there with you. To bad you didn't understand that language, O-WELL nexts time. Ya, I was UNFUNCTIONING too. Hey keep it up and 12 step with the dolphins.