Notices

Upcoming Holidays..in wine country....

Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming Holidays..in wine country....

I have to admit, I'm nervous about my upcoming holidays in wine country... My husband and I go every year..it's always warm there, great lakes....and vineyards.... I am already trying to plan activities that won't revolve around drinking...it will be soooo hard....because it's something I've always done there...I was thinking of changing the destination but I don't really think that is the issue...I just know my guard will be down...routine gone....and it will be my first holiday sober!! Any advice???? I
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have never been to wine country (besides the fact that you could have once called my house that) but I would think that would be some place that might trigger me. Chardonnay, chianti, shiraz, and vodka were my drinks of choice.

I am guessing you are going to CA, or maybe I missed that, but maybe you could center your vacation time around something else besides the vineyards? Are there national parks around there? I would be focusing on food and dining maybe.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BG!! LOL...my place could have been called wine country too!!! Actually I live in British Columbia,Canada, and just about 5 hours from here is wine country...very comparable to Cali..(been there too)...great idea about the food/dining...I have never eaten at a fancy restaurant there..just pubs....it's in the desert so really no national parks to walk around in, I could do a really nice morning walk around the town though!! thanks for the suggestions...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Personally.. I would find it a perfect time to cahnge my destination to a new annual trip that doesn't revolve around or remind me of drinking..there are so many places to explore!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Smacked.
What is there mostly in wine country. Let's see..... WINE

There are so many other kool places to go, like the Grand Canyon or something.
You say Great lakes, so how about Niagara falls. Maybe thats closer. Iduno.

I used to drink beer, and I am done with it. For me there just would be nothing for me in Beer country, because I have no use for the stuff anymore.
I know you probably visited other places in Wine country, but I would want a change of scenery myself. Life is to short to not at least consider a different trip.
Just my thoughts.
Fred
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
Why add stress to a vacation?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nevertheless, she doesn't mean the Great Lakes, she just means nice lakes, and it sounds like north of Vancouver, in central BC.

Loveon2, when are we talking, when it is warm enough to be in the water or sooner? (Or ON the water?) If you are set up in the same place you used to be and you know there are potential "problems" nearby, is it easy to access nearby places? I haven't been out there since I was a boy, like over 30 years ago, so I don't have any concept of what's here/what's there.

I don't know what kind of hassle it is to change the plans dramatically, but it's up to the two of you. You are cognizant of some doubts, but on the optimistic side, this is a chance to make the best of it and live life well without giving in to things you don't need. I suppose you could be facing the possibility of dealing with creeping thoughts wherever you went, since it is the "first holiday while sober." I guess if you go into it focused on the idea that it is about the freedom to be away from work and watch for any gear shifting in the brain about "relaxing" or any of the other code words that you brain used to have for consuming alcohol.... Also watch out for boredom. Can't remember if your husband drinks, but that would be part of the equation too, in a different setting.

I don't want to rain all over it with caution.....Up to you whether you think you can manage a sense of guardedness at the same time as making the best of the time away. So that you can come home with the same peace as you left with!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

I live in the wine country and I don't drink at all, there is so much to do in our Beautiful land, you don't have to drink to have pleasure, there are boat trips, butterfly world, lion park, Crocodile places, beaches, there is just so much to do, wine does not have to be your foremost activity, just relax and enjoy our beautiful countryside.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah i would change the destination too...so many other things to see and do, how many times can you go to the same place anyway?! Seems very much like old behaviour to me!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts....Toronto..it is centralB.C. a town called Osoyoos the vineyards started being built about 8 years ago, it was just all fruit before!!

I think every day can be stressful for an alcoholic to remain sober..and holidays can add to it or like Toronto said see it in a new way it will in all essence be a new place in sober eyes!! a new adventure!! I'm planning on doing some things there I never did.....and yes I will watch for the boredom!! big hugs everyone!! xo
Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I'm already stressing about my vacation in a little over a month. Every place I go would be "Beer Country" (good one Fred). I'm already doing the "maybe I can sneak one" dance in my head. Sun, beach, beer?....

I think I'll need to make myself the designated baker or cook to keep me busy but fear that'll be a trigger. Loved to drink messin in the kitchen.

So, you're not alone. I hope you enjoy a sober vacation and I will try to do the same.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If the only thing worth going to wine country for IS the drinking then it sounds silly to go there anymore.

When I'm not having as much fun IN recovery as I had BEFORE recovery, I'm a little closet to going back to those old habits again.

I drank on the golf course, I drank cutting the grass, I drank at concerts and so on. I still do all those things but I don't obsess over drinking again while I'm doing them.

Right out of the gate in recovery, I wasn't foolish enough to be hangin' at the bar, going to after-hours joints and so forth but that doesn't mean we have to avoid everything we did back when we were drinking -- so long as there's a VALID reason for being there again now, that is.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi DayTrader, Thank-you for your post..I totally understand what you are saying...there really is more to this place than the vineyards...and I was feeling a little overwhelmed by it at first..but I have some great activities planned now and I am truly excited about going...and staying sober!!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel for you. A few months after having my last drink I went to Germany on vacation to visit an old college pal/drinking buddy and knew that I would be tested.
But I was resolved to not drink, and I didn't. He would have his beer and I would have my alcohol free drink, and we had a great old time.

In fact, I felt like I was the strongest person on the planet, being an alcoholic quite new to recovery and being in a place where drinking beer is so prevalent.
I think I had way more energy to "get up and see the sights" while my friend lay on the couch recovering from the night before. And with a clear head, I probably got MORE enjoyment of noticing the little details that I would have missed had I been bleary eyed.

What I eventually ended up doing was to buy a touring bicycle and cycling from Holland to Switzerland, right down the Rhine river, which is perhaps the most famous wine region in the world. And the trip led me through towns and vineyards at a pace which allowed me to see things that you wouldn`t as you zip by in a car. It also gave me a lot of time to think.

But best of all I was physically and mentally, healthier and happier than I had been since I was a kid. It was the beginning of learning how to relove life.

I suspect that you will find more beauty and wonder in the place than you ever did in your upcoming vacation by viewing it in a different perspective.

It isn`t the place beneath your feet, it`s the place between your ears !!!
Don`t forget your camera :-)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am a wine lover, so I could not handle a vacation in wine country. I would break down and drink. People, places and things are all huge triggers for me.
Nancy
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got a great idea. Go to beautiful UTAH !

Being sober will not be hard at all.