Notices

Doing Differently Today?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing Differently Today?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

What are you doing differently today on your path of recovery?

For me, I'm trying to stay focused on continually bringing myself back to the here and now, just for today, and taking responsibility for things I can do today instead of constantly projecting into the future about how things are going to be and not doing much of anything to change anything.

Today I went to a meeting and shared honestly. Today I read about recovery and stopped often to consider what I was reading. Today I picked up trash along a highway for an hour and didn't get consumed with anything else except being in the moment and picking up the trash (bonus, I found a $1 bill! and the good alcoholic that I am kept looking for a $20, lol) Today I sat quietly and meditated for 1/2 an hour, accepting and inviting whatever came up as a blessing/an opportunity to feel, whether good or bad. Today I listened to others' stories and didn't roll my eyes or think 'these people are crazy'. Today, I'm learning to rejoice when I catch myself wanting alcohol, feel it for what it is -a temporary feeling, and simply choose not to react.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post! I especially relate to the "being in the here and now." That's something that I had practiced years ago and am getting back to now. The anxiety/depression that comes with alcoholic drinking makes it impossible for us to stay in today, let alone with a positive outlook.

Another thing I'm doing is to try to look at life as an adventure. While drinking, every day was just something to "get through." As I feel better, I'm allowing myself to believe that there just MIGHT be something good waiting for me out there. I'm trying to be patient with myself (we don't get better overnight) and find something each day that I enjoy doing. For me, it's all about keeping it simple, baby steps, and daring to have a little trust that I CAN learn how to live sober once again.

So, I guess for me, it's alot of mental changes right now.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

trying to do the next right thing

Great topic Midwest,

Today, I realized my fridge wasn't going to magically fix itself , so I headed down to look at appliances. A trip I would've just despised with a hangover, and would've left , confused, and unable to make any decision at all ,:wtf2

........much less any decision I could trust even an hour later.

Clear thinking is truly a blessing of sobriety.

Living in the here and now, makes interacting with and helping the guests at work , seem like; . it's almost a different job,

..... so grateful for sobriety today.