Notices

First...

Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First...

Yesterday was my first "drinking holiday" completely sober in over 6 years!! In fact, it marked 11 days for me (which is also, I believe, the longest I've been without using some kind of mind/mood-altering substance in over 6 years)! I went to a great women's meeting last night, and talked with someone for a long time about AA, how it works, getting a sponsor, working the steps, etc. I feel better than ever and can't tell you all how thankful I am that I woke up hangover (not to mention guilt!) free this morning - especially considering I had to be into work early (not that that would've matter to me in the past, I just would've spent the morning running back and forth to the bathroom puking).
I'm not gonna lie, there have been days when this thing really sucked and I REALLY wanted to drink and I haven't yet grasped that "call someone from AA" thing...but overall, I'm happier and more functional than I have been in years. And for that, for all of you out there lending support and words of wisdom, and for the wonderful meeting I got to go to last night, oh, and for my life - because a year ago, I truly believed I'd be dead by now - I am truly grateful!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I am so happy for you
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

11 days is great! Keep up the good work and dive into AA (why not?).
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time ...

AAA continues to be an awesome adventure for me
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great- waking up without a hangover is pretty great right? Keep it up
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

11 days is great. Hang in there. One day you will go by where you always bought booze without realizing it. It takes time and patience, but it will happen.
It's quite a feeling to be FREE.
Fred
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Your post is SO positive and encouraging, unholy! And being only 100 miles from NOLA, I KNOW you're going to have challenges ahead, too. I'm on day 6 and agree that the mornings are GREAT! Congratulations and thanks for the post!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey UM. I'm about the same as you on the sobre front, almost to the day.

I feel going to AA was the best thing I've ever done. Also, please don't worry about phoning another AA member for support, I worried about the exact same thing. Sometimes it's not convenient for them to talk, everyone is busy now and then, but if they ask to phone back at a later time don't take it personally. As best I can tell the other members I have phoned have always made me feel like, hey why didn't I call sooner? AA seems to attract wonderful people who are only too glad to pass on their encouragement. I think the best way to look at it, is that, yeah, I really need this help now and phone someone most days, but I've promised myself that when I'm good and clean I'm going to do the same for other alcoholics. It's a wonderful thing to be able to 'pass it on'.

Well done in getting sobre, feels great doesn't it