Notices

Alcoholism is not a Disease - Views

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I don't think it really matters. It's something.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ot

And i may be wrong, but i believe the phrase is
"Who is John Galt?
it is

D
Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I agree. It's not a "Disease". It's an illness.

Asylums still exist and they are full of mentally "Ill" people. Not mentally "Diseased" people.

Anorexics are dying in masses because they're "Ill" not "Diseased".

Jeffrey Dahmer had a "Disease"??? No, he was "Ill" He had a mental "Illness"

Psychiatrists make a pretty good living dealing with "Illness" not "Diseases"

OCD is an "Illness"

85% of homeless vagrants have some sort of mental "illness". They are not "Diseased" in any way.

The number one "Illness" we know of is an anxiety attack" It's not a "Disease" either.

Sociopathy, Narcisism, and Necrophelia are "Illnesses"

All of the above conditions have one thing in common. They are centered in the mind. As with most "Illnesses"

Big Book First Edition Says,
Pg 27
You have the mind of a chronic alcoholic. I have never seen one single case recover, where that state of mind existed to the extent that it does in you.
Pg 23
Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body.
Pg 20
we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.

Are you beginning to get it yet!!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by SoberKarl View Post
On this I have to disagree..... Comparing the two give way to much kudos to Alcoholism.

Whats next? Will smoking become the next disease?

I didn't call alcoholism or depression a disease. Please read my post in its entirety.

I view these two things as illnesses. That being said I don't care if people wish to call alcoholism a disease.

I'm fond of clichés--actions speak louder than words, my friend.

I hope you can tear yourself away from the nonsense to get and stay sober.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I have been sober a long time now (coming up on 29 years). When I first came into recovery AA was pretty much the only game in town. The fact that it was called a 'disease' back then didn't matter.

What mattered to me was that I died from this affliction (yes, the ER Dr was putting the TOD on my chart when my heart started on its own). So, I had to figure out what I could do for me to conquer this affliction.

Now about 10 years ago I was diagnosed as a Diabetic. Diabetes is a disease and there are certain things I MUST do to keep it in check. Those things require a certain diet, exercise, awareness at all times of my blood sugar levels, and Insulin and oral medication. This keeps my diabetes in check, however, to date, it will never be cured.

With my alcoholism there are certain things I MUST do to keep it in check. Abstinence, changing my old ways of doing and saying things etc. This keeps my alcoholism in check, however, to date it will never be cured.

So to me ....................................... my alcoholism is as much of a disease as my diabetes is. By practicing certain things on a DAILY basis I can keep both in check.

Call alcoholism a disease, don't call it a disease, doesn't matter, there are 'ways' (different programs, AA, SMART, CBT, etc) today to keep it in check so that those of us afflicted can lead SOBER PRODUCTIVE LIVES.

J M H O
This post has instantly shot up to my top 5 favorite sense-making SR forum posts. Thank you, Laurie.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I ran into this discussion with my ex wife after rehab as I explained to her that Alcoholism is a form of disease. It became a heated argument (she's an attorney). It soon became apparent to me that the definition in it self really doesn't matter. One could label Alcoholism warts, but it still affects one's personal lifestyle, causes an irritation, and extreme pain.

It seems to me those who find a need to label Alcoholism still have a problem recognizing that they actually have a problem. They are looking for a definition, rather than saying to themselves, "Yes, my life is in ruin, and alcohol is the root of the problem".

Reading this thread, and living it through many years seems to me the thread is mute. Label Alcoholism what you would like to call it. Disease, warts.. I personally do not seek a definition. I'm searching for the man within me prior to becoming "addicted" to alcohol.

I stand strong. I will be sober.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Was driving and thinking about this post what if someone could prove beyond any doubt that we do not have a disease or an illness or are sick, it was just a choice we made...

we would be the biggest bunch of ******* idiots in the world

I am not an idiot;-)
Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm....
Maybe you should listen to music when driving?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmmm....
Maybe you should listen to music when driving?
definitely would help i think!!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberKarl View Post
.... I should have the strength to say no when required....That should be enough.
This is exactly the point, SoberKarl. For the real alcoholic, all those 'shoulds' will be of absolutely no avail for staying sober.

While you are entitled to your point of view and are free to express it, once again it comes down to a person with zero demonstrated track record of staying sober espousing their theories about how this thing works.

I've learned, in my years of peaceful and contented sobriety, to not give much weight to ideas about sobriety from people who aren't sober.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

blah blah blah blah blah

I will stay sober today regardless of this silly thread. I'm moving on to something productive. I hope some of you will join me.

Kjell
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I try and overthink everything too, but really don't have an answer to this.

Its kind of like arguing the BIGBANG theory.

My thought today on it is it's a lifestyle. Some people are good about pretending to be someone else, and can live with themselves, I don't fit into that group. If you want normal answers peoples to questions go on FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, TWITTER, MTV REAL WORLD, TEXT, the MALL, 36 year old Birthday Parties, or anywhere else.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I don't believe its an illness or disease I think its important to make this distinction.
Its an addiction. It could be a sign that somebody does have an underlying mental illness.

At the same time the opposite happens, I know people who are diagnosed as mentally ill yet drink daily heavily without doctor being aware.

Drinking makes you mentally ill and being mentally ill can lead you to a drink problem.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Ive read all the posts here and Im no expert and Im definately not a drinker who has gone into rehab or had excessive alcohol probs.

Some of you may know I lost my sister Nov 09. This is what happened to her over a 20 year period.

At 18 drinking - socially.
At 23 drinking - habit.
At 30 drinking - daily addiction.
At 35 drinking - 24hr a day cronic addiction.
At 40 drinking - 24hr a day cronic, unfunctional, physically ill, mentally ill woman.

At 41 drinking - dead

Now I could go into more detail but whats the point. As I wrote this I noticed I used 'addiction' 'ill' as a description of alcoholism.

Disease - I always though it was probably something that you medically have wrong with you and they are still trying to find a cure. I dont know!

My father had 'Parkinson Disease' He died 10yrs with no cure
My aunty, uncles, mother, brother have all had cancer - some with a cure and others death.

I dont know if alcoholism is a disease or not but I know that my sisters, habit, addiction, illness, all stemmed from drinking alcohol over a long period of time. A progressive, horrible addiction that led to death.
Many have said ' you have choices ' Sure we do, but sometimes our mental and physical state is not enough to help us there.

I absolutely believe she could not in the end - make a 'choice' to stop drinking because the addiction was so intense at that time.

Many say it is not important to put a label on alcoholism. I guess 'labels' are just there as a description. Like for instance, I guess if I got sick and the doctors said, gee, we dont know whats wrong with you and I couldnt describe 'what was wrong with me' to anyone, Id probably feel unusual about it. But if the doctor said, Oh you have 'blah blah' disease it would explain it.

My point is, maybe some need an explanation and others dont. In the end though, its how we deal with the mountains we climb in life. Some of us have the ability to do it and some of us dont.