Notices

This withdrawal....

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This withdrawal....

I have been drinking heavily for a long time. Id say about a fifth of vodka in a day. I'm in my mid 20's and found myself not being able to leave my room unless I drink. My mom has offered to take me to the doctor, but when I leave my room I'm violently shaking. I've been highly hazy in the brain and where I can't focus on ANYTHING. This feels like its been taking 30 min to write already. I want to goto the doctor but I cant have my mom know of any alcohol substance in my body. How do I tell the doctor about my alcohol use without my mom finding out? My partner has already left me because I said I was drinking. Last time I went to the doctor, i had a blood pressure of 172/90. I got a shot of valium and it did okay for a little bit.......Can't figure out if this is a psychological problem or a withdrawal problem
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the only option for you is to be honest with your doctor about your drinking and then deal with your mom later. I had the same terrible shaking problem where I couldn't even walk, and my bf took me to the hospital twice because he got so worried about it. I was 22 or 23 at the time and also drinking a fifth a day. I just lied to my doctor and told him it was anxiety because I didn't want my bf to find out, and he gave me drugs and sent me home. Deep down I knew it was from drinking and when I finally fessed up to my doctor about everything, he was completely calm and gave me a list of options and helped me get through withdrawals.

Maybe you could just be vague to your Mom about what the doctor says-I know I've been in AA 3 months now and still haven't gotten up the nerve to tell my mom. Deal with the drinking first though and worry about everyone else later.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get to the doc. no matter how....
Tell the truth.
He/she will be able to help you and you will be very glad you did it.
Just do it !
Wish you luck and strength !!
You can do it !!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please do go to the doctor....and be completely honest
about your drinking.
Your Mom is correct to be concerned and so are you.

She already knows something is wrong....Vodka smells
and hiding in your room is certainly not normal.

I don't understand why people wanting to stop don't
use watever support they can find.
Yes, I mean a doctor and ones who love you.

All my best ...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to ask for help. It's the simplest but at the same time the hardest thing to do. I was going through withdrawals myself just five weeks ago, not as severe as yours, but I know it feels like a hell you cannot escape. Just think of the relief that will come in knowing you will never have to feel that way again.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm around your age too and I really understand where you're coming from. I really don't want my parents to know. Since you're not a minor your doctor cannot legally tell your Mother anything however his/her course of action will probably be to get you into treatment, so you're probably right about her finding out.

But isn't her knowing better than being drunk all the time and feeling as badly as you do now? Clearly, you're unhappy and you're worried about your health and you have good reason to be. I know you want to deny it. It's like, we're young and we can handle it and we try and justify our drinking as not being that bad. But NORMAL healthy drinkers do NOT hide alcohol in their closets. They do not drink every day. They do not get withdrawals when they do not drink and they don't blow hundreds of dollars a month on booze. You and I and other alcoholics do. And it's not because we're weak, it's because we have a legitimate mental disorder.

If you had cancer would you be afraid to go to your doctor? Of course not. And like cancer, alcoholism is a disease. And it affects a lot of people. I know the thought of people finding out is terrifying. I still can't bring myself to get the help I need because I'm scared. But sometimes I wonder what it's going to take to ask for the help I need. Isn't my parents knowing better than me being dead? We could waste years of our lives drinking away our problems. People WILL find out eventually. There is no way to avoid that. You will end up in the hospital or they will find the empty bottles SOMETHING will happen, someday and they will know. Question is, how many more bad things are going to happen to you because of you're drinking until then? I guess the people who are lucky get caught early. Sometimes we just gotta swallow our pride, and ask for the help me need no matter how hard it is or how much is scares us.

Also when you say you can't leave the house without drinking, is it because you get really nervous around people? You might have Social Anxiety Disorder or some other anxiety issue. It would make sense, lots of people use alcohol to calm themselves down when they're feeling nervous and lots of people with mental illnesses use alcohol to self medicate. There are far more productive ways of dealing with those issues if you have them. I really think you should just be 100 percent honest with your doctor because that's the option that's going to give you your life back.

Have you been to a meeting? Maybe go to one around where you live. It can be pretty scary talking in a meeting, so I normally just hang around after. People are very nice, especially when you're new. They will go out of their way to talk to you and see how you're doing. Perhaps you could talk to them about how to tell your parents/doctor. They've ALL been there and done that. And they know what you're going through.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do see a Dr, CTwo.
If your mom wants you to see a Dr she already knows somthing is up.

Nothing is more important than your life.

D
Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm going to join the consensus and say 'please see your doctor for help in getting thru withdrawals.' Medical help can make it safer and easier for you. I hope you can stop drinking soon. Living sober is so much better.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy to say I went to the doctor. Which was good cuz my blood pressure was high for someone my age. My mom stayed in the waiting room. I didn't say anything to her or the Doctor....But the doctor kept saying "you gotta stay off the alcohol." So I think that was the hint. She didn't really know what to give me, I think she was new tbh lol. She ended up perscribing me Ativan and Prozac. Which I don't know why.

I don't have bad social anxiety. I would get drunk all the time and then leave the house. Or carry a bottle of vodka in my pocket. But it was always a bad idea because I wouldn't be able to drive them. So taxis and metro rides were my best friend. It was getting kinda obvious when my car has been for weeks and my friends were like "uhhhhh"

Thankyou everyone for your support. I hope this is the final time at beating this thing we call Alcoholism.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was just about to chime in and I saw that you went to the doctor. If you are in the United States, that is the exact reason we have the HIPAA law. Nobody can know what you tell your doctor in confidence. Now, I agree with the others that your mother almost certainly already knows, but the doctor cannot share with her the reason why you were treated.

Good thing you went, that blood pressure was getting pretty high. The Ativan will take care of that, just absolutely sure you don't drink while on Ativan. That's a bad combination.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that your mom already knows you have been drinking a lot. For a while I was under the impression that no one knew what I was up too when I was drinking a fith of vodka daily, turns out I was fooling no one! I'd recomend telling your mom about it and she will be proud that you are working towards making positive changes. My mom knows I am sober and is very very happy about it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I was terrified to tell my parents I needed treatment (this was 20 years ago), and I had two small children as well. I didn't see any way out. When I finally told them, they didn't freak out at all. They were very compassionate, and simply asked how they could help. It was such a relief to have their support and not have to lie anymore. Whatever you decide, I hope you get all the support you need. Hang in there!