Notices

need help

Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help

Hi all, I'm new here and I could really use some help with my current situation. I've been an alcoholic since I was 17, that I can remember, and I'm now 22 with beer being my drink of choice. The last 2 years I've been drinking anywhere from 18 to 30 beers every night usually by myself and the last month I've cut my drinking down to only Friday nights. Now the last 2 Fridays I have made myself throw up after getting the "beer munchies" and after eating just so i can drink more and faster without being so full. I have never made myself throw up before in my life and I'm not bulimic. I'm 140 lbs at 5' 6" and have never been more than that. I'm in the military and I'm close to getting kicked out for having a seizure (caused by self detox from beer a year ago). So I can't discuss this with my military doctor from fear it will speed up my discharge process. If anyone has any information or websites it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bl,

You're in the right place. Welcome. Can you see an outside doctor? It would be wise to get a medical check up and detox especially if you've had seizures before. Detox is nothing to mess around with!

Stick around, there's lot of good advice and support here!

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-01-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Good idea, Lenina. I second seeing an outside doctor.

Welcome to SR, bl.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I agree, and forgo using your military ins, pay out of pocket for the dr. You need to do this for you and for your career.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Friend of mine is in the military and he had some issues with anxiety and stress, didnt want it on his record even though its supposed to be in confidence what is said to the military doctor, it isn't...so yeah go to an outside docs...

Question, if you are getting discharged anyway is the reason you dont want to go to military docs because they offered you honourable discharge if you just go?

Are there any AA meetings near where you are based? After you move on you are at a great age to get sober and can turn this around in no time with some help:-)
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your military service.

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be careful, bulimia can start by just purging once which can lead to purging more often and it could become an eating disorder. Sometimes eating disorders can go along with alcoholism, or start when people are trying to stop one thing and it goes into something else.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here bl87 - please consider that outside Dr.
Welcome to Sr

D
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your help and support. I have started calling around to outside doctors. yeahgr8, my reason for not telling the military doc is because I have at least a good 6 or 7 months until I get out and knowing what the economy is like I wouldn't want to tell the doc anything to get me out even faster. Also I have tried going to AA for a few months and it just wasn't for me. I'm going to an alcohol class that's court mandated for my 2nd DUI and I really like the class but since it's from the court I can't just keep going to it. Anyway I will hopefully talk to an outside doctor sometime this week. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

bl - best of luck to you as you look for support. This is a really good place to start and I like that I can come here any hour of the day and find people who are dealing with the very same things I am. Hang in there and keep posting.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope that you find a system that works for you. Coming on here and knowing people are going thru some of the same things as myself helps a lot.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bl87 View Post

Now the last 2 Fridays I have made myself throw up after getting the "beer munchies" and after eating just so i can drink more and faster without being so full.
Regardless of where you are on the alcoholism scale, you are studying
how to be an alcoholic real fast by teaching your body how to
"drink more and faster".

The first thing you need to do is ask for help.

The second thing you need to do is accept help.

The third thing you need to do is practice a daily program of action.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Recognizing that you are an alcoholic at the age of 22 is a major accomplishment in itself. Coming to this forum for help shows courage and awareness. You have already taken important steps toward recovery and these will be greatly assisted if you see an outside doctor. I also started unpacking beer trucks at the age of 17 but it took me decades to admit I was an alcoholic. Finally admitting I was an alcoholic was the turning point in my life. To see you doing this at age 22 is an inspiration, and it could change the course of your life for the better.