Notices

You know that saying....

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know that saying....

My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk. Well, for me anyways, that doesn't really ring true. Just seems a little to pushy and preachy.

I remember some really fun nights drunk, where I didn't blackout, make an ass of myself, engaged in some great bonding with friends or lovers and had excellent adventures.

What does ring true for, is that my worst day sober is nowhere even close, I mean not on this planet, galaxy or solar system, as bad as my worst day drunk. On the flip said my best day sober is also a million miles better than my best day drunk.

Just sayin.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Marlow.....
That saying is nothing I ever use.
It's not my experience either.

I too had many adventures where alcohol was present.
That was before I became an alcoholic.

I've had just as many when drinking was not involved.
Those happened after I found recovery.

You really are heading into a productive interesting future
Moving forward sober....is simply awesome!
Keep in foxus....give yourself time to find your passion.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not one I ever use either LOL.

I just know I wouldn't swap my 'now' for even the best times 'then' - cos although things can still really stink sometimes? I really like who I've turned out to be, sober....and I know the stinky times never last LOL

D
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We don't wish to forget the past, or close the door on it... That is a saying that I like a little better...

Because we turned alcoholic, or we got sober, doesn't negate all the good times that happened before...

Mark
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would stick by that saying because i am NOT the same person i was when i was active, before when i stopped drinking and changed little else i would totally agree that the saying is BS...difference between being in recovery and just abstaining in my experience:-)

- I just know I wouldn't swap my 'now' for even the best times 'then'

- My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk

That's close enough Dee hehe
Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Marlow,

this rang true with me...I am still a drinker as of today, but understand and know for me to survive and continue to be succesful in life I need to give it up. I have had many a great time with my friends having some drinks...and I am going to miss them eventually. but you are right, some of the things I have done when drunk are god awful and I am ashamed I did them. Hoping to enjoy the future sober me sometime in the near future. Good luck to you and thanks for your post.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input guys. Some interesting perspectives. Hope no one is offended with me thinking out loud.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's true that a lot of the rhetoric can seem quite empty, but I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Was it the booze that made those times special? Or would we have had those times if booze had never been invented. I would consider myself a fun guy who can bond etc without the need to be wasted telling my friend I "love you mannnnn" with tears in my eyes. lol.

To be honest I really can't say that I would have had less good times if I had never drank. In that same vein, I can honestly say that I wouldn't have had as many bad times either... I used alcohol as a social crutch, it's like all of my insecurities were taken care of by a few drinks. I thought I became this awesome fun dude. But have you ever seen some of your friends turn from awesome fun dudes to blabbering boring idiots after a few drinks? I have, in fact I don't think I've ever seen someone become more 'fun' after a few drinks when I was able to look at them from a sober perspective.

It's weird how I would never have assumed that people who never drank lead boring lives, yet always assumed that people who drank and then gave up did. That's where my mind was at. I'm slowly coming to terms with how wrong I was. The possibilities are endless when you remove alcohol from the equation. The mornings are infinitely more beautiful, and the days possibilities are limitless when I'm not reaching for a bottle of whiskey as soon as I open my eyes.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

[QUOTE=Marlow;2581619

I remember some really fun nights drunk, where I didn't blackout, make an ass of myself, engaged in some great bonding with friends or lovers and had excellent adventures.

What does ring true for, is that my worst day sober is nowhere even close... [/QUOTE]

I agree. If I could go back in a time machine and talk to myself at age 18 I would not even try to talk myself out of drinking. I would just say "Enjoy it while it lasts because someday it will turn on you".

The first 10 to 15 years of drinking was GREAT and I would not have missed it for anything. Alcohol was not my problem until about the 20 year mark when it stopped being my solution. The last 5 years of my drinking was the problem part because the pain was worse than the gain.

My worst days sober are even worse than my worse days of drinking because now I have no money to act as a safety net. What has gotten better is my attitude and coping skills. I now "suffer" less as the result of life's challenges even though it might not appear so to an outside observer.
Most people think it is worse to be broke than it is to be a drunk who has money. The first step promise is starting to come true for me:

" Quite as important was the discovery that spiritual principles would solve all my problems.” (page 42)
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't mind that saying, but I can relate to it as one of those "reaching" sayings. If we like sayings, it's because we like to feel magic. We get disappointed with them too when they are hollow for us. One Day at a Time never used to mean anythying to me twenty years ago, and I didn't get what was supposed to be so gripping about the Big Book either ten years ago. I changed some, and those two examples mean something different to me now. I never thought I would use the Friend analogy ("Do you consider alcohol your friend????"), but I am one of the biggest users of it now!

I don't shun every memory while drinking (or the period overall of drinking). Some of it makes me cringe...