Notices

What can I do in court

Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What can I do in court

Gosh there is so much drama that has led up to this point but I think the bottom line is that although my wife seems close to hitting rock bottom and admitting she has a drinking problem it may go on forever obviously. We are divorcing right now but I am trying to make mediation work to avoid spending all our money on attorneys. We have split custody of our 8 and 12 year old and while she does a very good job of managing the house/kids during her weeks her problem is getting worse and I am unsure what to do. Her family is in denial of her problem and has put down $5K to retain the undisputed toughest divorce lawyer in town. Me on the other hand moved out due to her drinking and affair. Her parents just bought her a new house and on the outside things seem ok but she is drinking herself to death. She knows she has a problem, is asking me to come save her and the kids. I would happily do this but I have told her that I can't until she is ready to admit she has a problem and is willing to sign something agreeing to get professional help. She said that she can't admit to that yet, she is concerned about it working against her in court. I am expecting things to worsen and I will be in a position where I will have to find the money to get an attorney but as of now I cannot. Here is the question, if I go to the court is there anything I can do to have her tested for alcohol abuse? I cannot win against her attorney with anything but I am obligated to my kids to step in at some point. I have no proof of any issues at home from them or otherwise, she is good about hiding it from them and keeps them busy with the computer and Wii most the time. I don't know what kind of tests are available, I have heard about "AbuseCheck Hair Alcohol Abuse Check" but I doubt that would work with her lawyers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, jake. I am sorry you are dealing with this, but you have found a great place for support and understanding. You might want to post this in the Friends and Family of Alcoholics Forum. You will receive more attention there from people who know what you are dealing with and have experience, strength and hope to share. Also, the stickies at the top of that forum contain a wealth or information. Again, welcome to SR!

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...
I have no experience with your situation.
Do check out the other Forum as suki suggested.

Prayers for a beneficial outcome for the 4 of you.