Notices

I want to stop but I can't

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winterwar View Post
that's my exact problem with AA.

god is personal to me, and has nothing to do with the Judea-Christian religion of others.

i attended one meeting and found it so pathetic i stopped off at the liquor store on the way home and got smashed.

i want to quit, but i can't go more than 2 days without terrible withdrawal symptoms.

i can't sleep, feel extremely ill, and if i do catch a few winks i have horrific nightmares.

my blood pressure seems to skyrocket and my heart beats out of my chest.

i get a fever that makes me get under at least 4 quilts, and i can't be around ANYONE because of my mental state.

i can only stomach chicken noodle soup, but the spoon shakes so much in my hand, i can barely eat it.

i'm trying to taper off before i quit...i think it's the only way for me...

i have no medical insurance, so i can't seek the help of a doctor.

i can't drink anymore, but i can't not drink because of what physically and mentally happens to me.

does anyone understand what i'm going thru?

please help...
Yeah of course i know what you are going through, exactly as you have written...i dont know many alcoholics that havenīt felt like that...and when i would muster enough energy to stop for a few days i would feel like **** for all of them...the worst for me was the nightmares and the waking up gasping for breath...nice!

Using AA as an excuse for you to drink is fine, i got to the point that if a bird chirped too loud outisde the window and, in my constant state of anxiety, i jumped that would enrage me enough to get dressed and get to the liquor store muttering to myself all the way about anything and everything and of course the birds, why is that bird always chirping outside my window!!!! I was totally insane!

Tapering never worked for me!

Like i said i didnīt walk into AA until i was in real trouble, suicidal and physically in poor health...iwas very lucky to have walked in there when i did, i have friends who have been to AA and not liked it and one of them is working on his third heart attack at 42 and the other recovering from a stroke at 41...

The constant abuse of the body does take its toll and it isnt always a quick death...it took me 6 months of firm commitment to get back into shape when i got sober...on medication and with the doctor looking at my through the side of his eye to see how i was looking everytime i went to see him...when i first got my pills and he said you will have a stroke soon, he shook me by the hand and wished me good luck hope to see you in one month!

So...what you gonna do?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Goya2463

Thumbs up Just Tired of drinking..

God Bless everyone who is doing there best to stop drinking or doing drugs or pills or eating disorder there is so much in this freaking world that will pull anybody down to there knees that who cares what others think hold on strong cause it is a hell of a ride and tell God to help you and belive me he will help you all the way just give God a chance,may God Bless you and everyone out there..Fight to the End?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

needhelpbutstuk,
You will find that living your life sober will feel completly different. You used to like the feelin gof a good buzz when you started, but that is gone. Now you go from a quick good feeling buzz to drunk and regret.

Sobering up alows you to get that feeling back, NOT DRINKING. Little things everday that you missed, the feelings you have will change. Its a great feeling.

This is my first post. As you can see Ive been a membe here for a long time, toying with and trying to quit much like yourself. I drank average 2-30 packs of beer a week. Like you, worked a steady full time job. Im now over 3 months sober, and feeling great. My cravings are stronger than ever, but thats ok, Im beating this.

You need to man up and conquer it. Its a tough fight.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

back2XR ....

Thanks for decideing to share with us
Glad you are here and doing well...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

winterwar

Like yeahgr8 said, I think many of us, if not most of us understand your predicament.

Sometimes it takes doing something new, even if it's not an idea we like, to break the cycle.

On the medical issue, if you google your hometown and 'free clinics', you'll get some hits.

D
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
11/11/07

"Using AA as an excuse for you to drink is fine" Exactly! There's always a reason. Some people go to AA and on the day of their first year sober go celebrate with a relapse, that wouldn't be AA's fault either.
I guess we all need to decide what's more important, willingness to open our minds to a new way of living ( not necessarily AA but any program of recovery) or continue to drink ourselves into the Abyss, blaming everything else for our drinking.

Things don't change if things don't change.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

the second day...today was tough, last night I tossed and turned a bit, and woke up with the shakes again. No vomitting today which was nice. Work was tough. Made it home, and did laundry/clean the house to keep myself occupied. Still paranoid, sleepy and wanting a drink. I've been eating a lot today to make a little happier. Might not be the best thing to do but it helps me keep my mind off of it. Day two is in the bag, I'm going to sleep. But today was tough...wanted to drink a whole lot more thhan yesterday. I feel like I am giving up my best friend.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us feel that way stuk - like giving up a best friend or a gf.

Just remember - I've missed some pretty awful girlfriends LOL.
Stay strong...you'll get over it and look back and be amazed at just how toxic it all was.

2 days is great, stuk.

D