Notices
View Poll Results: Were alcoholics part of your upbringing?
One or more of my parents drank
69.91%
Older brother or sister abused alcohol
15.04%
Grand parents abused alcohol when I was around them
17.70%
No alcohol was present while I was growing up
24.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Were your parents/ grand parents alcoholics

Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Were your parents/ grand parents alcoholics

I was raised in a household with no alcohol in it. Only later on being with peers did I start my drinking history for the most part anyway.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Shoot, forgot about my grandfather...
My Mother was an alcoholic, my father drank but was always controlled, and I have 6 siblings, all with alcohol (and some have other issues) problems. Some are sober, some are still drinking but functional, etc.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Parents were/are social drinkers.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Growing up in a religious home....the only people
I saw drinking were in the movies.

Probably why I thought drinking was sophisticated
and glamorous.....
I despertedly wanted to be both!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dadīs side going back generations and the gambling too! Mumīs side anxiety, depression, general neurotic behaviour...you couldnīt make it up lol
Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Question

Let's see- my Aunt, who raised me, DEFINITELY an alcoholic. Aunt Jean? yep. Uncle jay? uh-huh. Dad? GUESS. The grandparents on the Aunt's side were strict Baptists, and never drank. The other side would occasionally drink wine. Go :wtf2figure.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Both my parents and both my maternal grandparents. Mom died at 30.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Grandmother on mother side was an alcoholic, it killed her and left my mother a textbook ACOA, so Grandma was the only grandparent I had that drank and she died when I was very young. Dad drank sometimes (usually beer) but not to any great excess, and Mom NEVER drank ever, although she has been hopelessly addicted to nicotine for over 40 years...

...so growing up I learned that alcoholism "runs in my family" and addiction is something next to impossible to even try to overcome. Feeling at risk for alcoholism and wishing to challenge the false paradigm I was taught about powerlessness over addiction, I gave up all drugs and alcohol (including smoking) and now live a sober life, free of addiction.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My father seldom drank. My mother started drinking in her late 40s and died as a result of alcoholism.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My mom and dad gave my my first beer, IDK, around 11 or 12. About the same time the joint first got passed to me sitting around the living room with my parents and friends.... Cold Duck at christmas, sloe gin fizzes on the new year...I loved going to my grandparents because they drank constantly and never missed it when I took my share from the pitcher of martinis.

My Dad recovered after the divorce, he died 10 years ago with 24 years of sobriety. My mom, well, I don't know, but I think she still likes a stiff martini... but she's gettin' on in years...

My younger brother has been recovered for 24 years last winter.

My sister is the only normie...

Like your polls capt'n!

Mark
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Grandmother died from alcoholism. I never met her. Both my parents drink a few times a week but do not have a problem with alcohol.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No alcohol when I was growing up and never drank in high school. I have the dubious distinction of being the first (known) alcoholic on either side of my family, tho mom's adopted so don't know much about her birth family.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Father-alcoholic, mother-addict...... Ancestors on father's side of the family had some "drunkards" as described by a now deceased aunt/family historian.......
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Alcoholics on fathers side all over the place. All of his siblings....his father....not sure before that.

Why did you only ask older sibs, Capn? Just wondering.

Of 4 siblings.....3 are addicts.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Mom and Pop were non-drinkers. Check that. Pop's would go deer hunting once a year for a week. He would take a small old bottle that held about 7 ounces of brandy with him. Every morning out in the field hunting he would do one shot in the morning as he sat in his hunting blind. He said it warmed him up.
That was Pop's drinking career.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No one in my immediate family drank. Only one I know of is a very distant cousin who was an alcoholic.

Steve
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My mom never drank with my sisters and I. She did drink and exp with drugs before we were born. My father drank, smoked pot and god knows what else. Had horrible anger problems. They divorced when I was 16. If its anything heredity, ill give a lil thanks to my father
Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Both my Mom and Dad drank when I was growing up. Not alcoholically, but there was the occasional binge.

Now, I think that they are both potential alcoholics. My dad admits that once he starts drinking on the weekends he cannot stop and My Mom drinks every day. I don't know how much, because I don't live in the same city she does, but I know it is a ritual for her.

My paternal Grandmother was a closet alcoholic. She would wait for my Grandfather to go to sleep and then she would drink. I remember thinking she 'acted weird' at night when I stayed over there.

I have aunts, uncles and cousins that are alcoholics too. I think it runs in my family for sure.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic. My mother didn't drink at all. I'm not sure about my grandparents.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, both parents were alcoholics. Friends of the family tell me that only my father drank for years and years. They said my mother never touched the stuff until later in their marriage. I have four older brothers. By the time I came along, and later my younger brother and two more girls, she probably just threw in the towel and decided "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" What a _ _ _ _ _ _ -up attitude! But, I guess it was survival for her. He married a severe alcoholic and instead of divorcing him and trying to support all those kids on her own, she did what was in front of her! I don't remember her being sober at all. All I remember is having two alcoholic parents.