Notices
View Poll Results: Were alcoholics part of your upbringing?
One or more of my parents drank
69.91%
Older brother or sister abused alcohol
15.04%
Grand parents abused alcohol when I was around them
17.70%
No alcohol was present while I was growing up
24.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Were your parents/ grand parents alcoholics

Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My Mom, Dad, Grandma, Brother, his son & daughter, my oldest & youngest son, & extend parental family on both sides & myself all have had problems with alcohol. My Mom had depression & anxiety but did not take medication for it. I have the same thing I have taken meds off & on & when I was treated for alcoholism got help again for my depression...21 years ago.

kelsh
Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There was no alcohol present as I was growing up.

Neither of my parent drink/drank.

However, my dad's parents were both alcoholics, and died within a year of each other while he was still in high school, leaving him to raise two younger brothers.

Both parents had alcoholic siblings.

There is a long line of alcoholism/addiction on both sides of the family.

I was kept very insulated from the alcoholic members of the family while I was growing up.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My maternal grandfather was alcoholic. Raging, destructive, abusive. He stopped drinking before I was born and so I did not see any of that.

My paternal grandfather was alcoholic. He died, still active, when I was very young.

My mother was in the beginning/middle stages of alcoholism when she died of cancer at age 49 (I was 21). It pains me to say this as I only recently admitted it to myself.

My father drinks (well used to - he no longer does) but is not alcoholic. I did see him passed out drunk in the middle of the floor on two occasions when I was a kid so perhaps not the most responsible drinker. He was only home a few days out of the year.

My uncle was close to my family and he was an alcoholic that quit drinking after I was an adult. I have a number of other uncles and cousins with addiction problems (some dead from their addictions, some not) but they lived long distance so I did not see them frequently.

My brother drank very abusively. He does not call himself an alcoholic, did not go to any treatment, does not mention anything about it today, but I do notice that he does not drink anything - even if others are having one. His wife does not drink.

I drank extremely abusively between the ages of 17-27 and firmly believe that there must be a huge genetic/chemical component to becoming an alcoholic or I'd be hopelessly lost. I must not have that biological marker because I had no trouble moving on to drinking socially like a normal person when I decided it was time.

I did, however, marry an alcoholic. I recently divorced an alcoholic. I have 4 children with a parent and two grandparents, that are alcoholic and numerous uncles and cousins of their own, and other extended relatives that are alcoholic. I pray nightly that I can be one link in the chain that is moving in a healthier direction and to give them the best chances possible to avoid addiction. Alcoholism is so invasive and wide spread.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just realized which forum I posted this in. I'm sorry - I don't actually post in this one and I didn't mean to plunder on in here. I had hit 'new posts' which I rarely ever do so it took me out of my usual one.

On with your regularly scheduled program...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

lol
Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I came from a long line of drunks.
I promised myself that I would never become one. I was in denial for years.
Been sober since the end of July. I stay away from alcohol. I want to be sober, more than I want to drink.
ODAAT works for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Where is the tick-box for normal alcohol consumption?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Their was no alcohol in my house growing up and I think that pushed me to try it because it was a nono, and then when I used it I always abused it. Alcohol led to me using other drugs and got me addicted. I was drinking a lot the day before I used my first drug.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My grandpa on my dads side made moonshine during the depression. I think that amounted to what little income they had.
My father was in WW2 and was on some island in the south Pacific, when he got a dear John letter. (I have a 1/2 brother but I only met him once).
My dad drank heavily after he got out of the army, and when he met my mom he was drinking a 5th of whiskey a day. Some how he stopped, and they got married. But when I was growing up it wasn't unusual for him to have a few beers, but I don't believe I ever saw him drunk.
Was he an alcoholic? I don't know. Anyone that knew him when he got out of the army would say yes. But after he married my mom would probably say no.
When he was in the hospital after his first heart attack, the doctors were saying he was a practicing alcoholic, because of the size of his liver. I knew this was false, he never had more than 3 or 4 beers at a time (he only bought 6 packs) the 10 or 15 years before.
But I don't know how anyone could drink a 5th a day, and stop. Then drink under control. I can't do it. But he did.
The rest of my family seldom drank.
Fred
Old 04-24-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
mergirl

alcohol was like food or clothing in my family. 25+ relatives who live near each other and were always present at family functions, one uncle didn't drink. He was the black sheep :P . No one was an alcoholic, because I had never heard the term. They all just drank, often to excess, many times the family functions ended in chaos, but drinking was never a problem.

The family has thinned/spread out some. Terms like alcoholic, addict, dui, rehab, detox and program are part of the fiber now. Of my generation, I have cousins who may be normies, 2 of us in recovery, and some could use a little program. I'm hoping this will be a benefit to my daughters generation.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I never really thought about this - or realised - until lately and know that my paternal Grandfather was an alcoholic and my Father's 2 brothers (one died at 57) are alcoholics and I suspect that he is too... My brother has serious alcohol problems and is trying to stay sober and 2 of my Sisters are very heavy drinkers (mainly at home) - only one Sister drinks moderately. On my Mum's side one or two of her Brothers are alcoholics and I don't know about the rest of the family. Many of my first cousins on my Father's side are heavy drinkers and possibly alcoholics...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

ooh family's..........................My father is still knockin back a bottle of whiskey a day (because he works had & doesn cause any issues lol), Mother is a pioneer never touched a drop, but has 4 siblings that are alcoholics. I have @ least 15 alcoholic 1st cousind most of which are in denial. Grandparents on both sides never drank.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry..I couldn't vote....they didn't match my upbringing.
My mom and dad didn't drink a lot..never in the house, unless we were having a party.
Both my grandfathers died before I got to know them.
My mom has drank wine since she turned around 70...sometimes a bottle a night,,,at the minute, 1 glass a night.
My Mom says her dad was an alcoholic...but growing up.....it wasn't an issue in our house.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i actually have no idea. i can't tell if my dad is. he drinks to excess, but is he an alcoholic? no idea. and my mom... i don't know if i've ever seen her drink, but when i was little i remember her waking up to drive me to school and she was throwing up in the bathroom. she "just had a headache" she'd tell me. in hindsight she did look hungover. and then one day it just stopped.

so no idea
Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
hypercube

Yes, my mother is an alcoholic, although she would deny this.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Serenity today

My mother died of health complications brought on by alcoholism, death certificate said pneumonia bu she was detoxed in ICU during the week that led up to her death. My grandmother never drank, always said she couldn't because of the way it affected her, in retrospect I think she may have been alcoholic and had learned to live with it by not drinking, didn't seem to be a big deal for her. All of us, aunts, uncles, cousins (except one) on my mother's side are alcoholic, all but one in recovery. I'm not sure about my uncle, he was hospitalized last year for pancreatic issues and told to stop drinking. My only child is alcoholic, has been sober 22 years.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Two and half years ago, my sister finished the job of drinking herself to death. Two years before that she said to me "I hate saying that I am an alcoholic because I think our parents raised us to be better drinkers than that." My mother died of cancer in her sixties without ever getting sober. Five years before he died at the age of 80, my father stopped drinking. As far as I know, he did it on sheer willpower alone. All the years before that I can remember, he certainly drank like an alcoholic.

Alcoholism runs in my family but I might be the first to ever admit to myself and others that I am an alcoholic.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No.........none, going back a few generations.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I was raised in a home with no drinking except my dad took a few slugs a few times a year,no big deal
Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

my dad was an alcoholic and three of his siblings as well as his mother.(all native american)

My moms parents did not drink but very very rarely.