Notices

2 days sober but will need guidance

Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm 8 months sober. It took about 3 months to get it out of the body and clear the fog. It is very hard, and reality strikes hard like a baseball bat. I went to 5 meethings a day for about 4 months, I also had to take some m medication, especially sleeping herbs etc.. Valerian root, melatonin, tylenol PM and such. I am finally off of those now. It helped a great deal as my mind was a carnival, and still somewhat is. Except now I know I can get by a day. When my mind starts thinking about reality and how ****** up it is I usually take a long shower, smoke, meditate, and watch a movie. The key is at those times to not think about reality, other people, gossip and other ********, just think about how good it will be in the morning when I get through the ******** mindgame that people play to tear you down. Don't let people **** with you.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

3 months???? OMG!!! I don't know if I can't take the fog and exhaustion that long!!! Especially since I know a drink would perk me up! But, then, I know I'll feel like **** tomorrow and be madder than hell at myself for failing AGAIN. I know that if I come to this site every night to have to check in and let someone know I made it another day - it gives me hope. Thank you for all who listen and know me.
Maidenfan - how are you?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fakesmiles, not everybody comes out of it the same though. You might notice a difference for the better after 2 weeks. Looking after things like you mentioned is a good thing. I had not been very physically active before quitting and I felt groggy a lot of the time, in the aftermath. So I added a bit of a routine and I had more energy. Nothing major though. Making it through another day is a big deal for people like us.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

I'm with Catkill, I'm a repeat on-again off-again offender. You need to do something to take your mind off thinking about drinking, even take your mind off thinking about NOT drinking! That might not make sense, but what I mean is; even thinking about not drinking, means that alcohol is still the centre of your attention. So do something to totally get away from it, an inspirational dvd, a book you're really into, something that really absorbs your attention. All the best.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Okay - Day 5 I'm on. I woke up at 7:30am on a Saturday (never happens) and my head is still foggy. This has got to be the worst side effect for me. I will try hard to shift gears today from thinking about "not drinking" today to other things. My kids have prom tonight and I need to clean house and make food, so there is my focus. Hopefully, this will help. Thank you. Maidenfan - are you out there?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi, this is my first post. I'm on day 2 of, like, the 100th time I've quit. I've quit so many time its just old by now. Well, I just wanted to chime in and say good luck and that I joined SR with the intent to open up a little and meet people like those in this forum. From my experience, quiting is easy for the first month, or few. It's when you feel better, that's when your resolve is tested. So good luck and I'm here to support and hopefully get a little support of my own!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DaveAnomie

Welcome to SR

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here - feel free to start your own thread and share a bit more of your story if you like

good to have you with us!
D
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Keep at it. I'm on day four myself. So far I'm just trying to avoid situations where I'll be tempted (no more work happy hours), and filling my schedule with things to distract me from having a drink.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm on Day 10!!! To be honest, I've never made it this long!!! I am finally starting to feel better and more like me!! Now, I was very tempted tonight, though, to make that rum and coke as I was stressed, tired and hungry when I got home from work. Those are all my triggers. I forced myself to eat a meal and now drink diet Squirt and the temptation passed. I do eat more sweets though. . . but maybe that is better than booze.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

DaveAnomie.....

Good to see you here....please keep posting
Many of us are winning over alcohol...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....good to see your progress FS
10 days is a good begining....

In AA we have a concept....HALT
that means don't let yourself become too

Hungry-Angry ..Lonely...Tired

Each time I returned to drinking....at least
2 of those elements were in place.

As I was also a depressed alcoholic.....I added
S ----meaning don't slide into deep saddness.

I do eat more sweets though. . . but maybe that is better than booze.
Try diferent sugar free products....they often are very good.

Keep posting and keep in focus....
Recovery Really Rocks!