Notices

Alcohol Tolerance -Detox?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Tolerance -Detox?

Hi - has anyone else had this problem? I've been drinking for 14 years and 5 years ago I cut way down on my alcohol consumption, (from a 1/2 bottle of vodka or a bottle of wine per day to two 5 or 6 ounce glasses of wine per day which is just under a 1/2 bottle to 1/2 a bottle of wine).

I just went on a diet and exercise plan to loose weight and now weigh 115 (I'm 5'2).

Anyway, I've been getting night sweats and insomnia every night for a week. I stopped drinking for 4 days but was still sweating and not sleeping well. Last night I had my usual amount of wine and sweated way more and was awake. I never had this when I weighed more. I'm planning on not drinking again for as long as I can go.

If I am not able to tolerate alcohol any more, I'm going to stop all together. Is this a sign of alcoholism progressing?

My liver function is normal.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Not Sure What it is.. But.. it Ain't Good and i Remember Going Through The Same Thing Myself.. and i Was Drinking A LOT More Than You! Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I am not able to tolerate alcohol any more, I'm going to stop all together. Is this a sign of alcoholism progressing?
It just might be a sign that stopping now will avoid worse health problems. I've built up some good sobriety time and then relapsed for a day or two. The relapse made me sicker than i've ever been and the withdrawal was much worse. I've got four months now and am determined to never go thru that hell again.

If you're having such trouble after drinking less, maybe see your doctor for some medical help in getting thru the first few days of detox. Be safe when getting sober.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It just seems strange that I should have them whether I drink or not.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

l know for sure that getting older has an influence on how your intake affects you.
Could this be so in your case ?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
l know for sure that getting older has an influence on how your intake affects you.
Could this be so in your case ?
That is possible - I'll be 37 soon, started drinking around 23.... I think I need to stop for a a few weeks if I can and see if they go away. Maybe I'm not giving it long enough. I'm not sure if I can make it for more than a week! :-( But I'm concerned enough to be motivated to try.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

peri-menopause can also produce early night sweats due to hormone shifts...you might want to discuss your symptoms with your OB-gyno......when real menopause hit me along with drinking I would wake up everyAM looking like I just ran a marathon....my doctor knew how I was suffering and advised regular exercise and strength training along with a low dose HRT.

since i've stopped drinking, my symptoms are greatly reduced even when I run out of the meds.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

I would visit your doctor. We can tell you what we THINK is going on, but only s/he has the training and tools to properly diagnose the problem. It may be something that is not drinking related at all.

Rev
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
peri-menopause can also produce early night sweats due to hormone shifts...you might want to discuss your symptoms with your OB-gyno......when real menopause hit me along with drinking I would wake up everyAM looking like I just ran a marathon....my doctor knew how I was suffering and advised regular exercise and strength training along with a low dose HRT.

since i've stopped drinking, my symptoms are greatly reduced even when I run out of the meds.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that was possible in the late 30s....
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I would visit your doctor. We can tell you what we THINK is going on, but only s/he has the training and tools to properly diagnose the problem. It may be something that is not drinking related at all.

Rev
That is true...It just seemed like detox. It looks like it is a non-specific symptom that can be many things.....ech....frusterating because I'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to health issues.....
Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PS - there is a website where you can go ask medical questions to real doctors called "just answer". I'm going over there now.....
Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retro_Girl View Post
PS - there is a website where you can go ask medical questions to real doctors called "just answer". I'm going over there now.....
Sorry - I hope that didn't sound rude......was not meant to.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey when I first stopped drinking it took me a while for my sleep patterns to go back to normal. Like the other posters said it could be menopause and withdrawal all together
Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The smartest thing for you to do.....
ask your local doctor.
Be honest about your current drinking.

A simple blood test can give your doctor
much info.....if you are honest...

SR members are not allowed to give medical advice.
I can think of 4 different health problems that might
be causing you this distress.

Please see your doctor for a correct diagnoses
and a plan for treatment.

All my best.....

Old 04-17-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carol Retro Girl - medical sites such as you mention, even those that are staffed appropriately, are no substitute for a real life consultation

D
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for the info. I have anxiety and OCD too so I think it magnifies everything. One of the coping behaviors is internet searching and information finding.