Notices

Sugar cravings!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings!

So I am sober 160 days and ohhh my I crave sweets carbs and almost anything high in fat as well is this gonna slow down!!! I have gained like 10lbs. I need help!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I strongly suggest you honestly talk with your doctor
about your drinking and sobriety.

This may or may not be caused from alcohol.
A simple blood test can give you answers
if your doctor is aware of what to check on.

With my doctors agreement ...I followed an eating
plan for about 6 months. You can Google for
something similar...check hypoglycemia eating plans.

All my best ...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol! I tend to think that it is just my way of dealing with what I used to love to avoid by drinking! I def need to change this though..
Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm only on Day 19, but I'm eating everything in sight. I've probably put on 5-10 lbs (don't have a scale at home, but everyone can tell I'm gaining weight), but for me that's a good thing. I'm 6'0" and have weighed about 145 lbs since high school (12 years). I really do need to be around 165 or so.

I figure my body was used to about 900-2000 calories a day from alcohol (mostly beer). Now it still wants those calories, and I'm getting them from actual food products instead of alcohol. The other night I made a peanut butter and strawberry shake. I added it up and it contained about 1000 calories and over 100% of my daily fat intake. My fiancee was shocked that I could drink it. I replied, "But it's so good!" Asked if she wanted any, but she declined. She's trying to go the opposite way with the weight thing (I don't think she really needs to, but hey, she wants to feel pretty, not just know that I think she's pretty).

I think I'm going to have to start exercising, though. I'm gaining weight fast, but I want that weight to be muscle, not fat.

iloveme, have you thought about an exercise program to counteract the food you're eating now? I just recently discovered the exercise room of the apartment complex I've lived in for 10 months. Also plan to get a tennis racket and make use of our courts this summer. May as well hit the pool at last, considering the only time I've actually seen it was when I was walking around searching for the exercise room.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cut down about the 6 month mark. I would eat chocolate every night. I have cut that out now. (I'm approaching month 13). I still binge if I get chocolate.
My goal for now is stopping potato chips after work. (it sure beats beer).
Like Snarf said, exercise is a very good idea. But the only drawback is you work up an appetite. But in better shape <G>
Myself, I waited to worry about it until I was sure I didn't want to drink anymore. Sobriety comes first above everything else in my book.
Congrats on 160 days
Fred
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went into a 28 day rehab for drinking. When I checked in I weighed 176 and came out at 215. It's been a 150 something days and I weigh 209. I work out about three days a week. Sometimes I feel like I replaced drinking with eating. Now when I binge it's on fruit and veggies, hopefully this will work.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate with the sugar and carb cravings!!! I'm drinking alot of coke, eating pie,chocolate...I haven't ate this much since I was a kid!!! and have gained some weight don't know how much I don't have a scale.. (for a reason!!!) So for the last couple of weeks I've been eating salads,fruits, and cut back on the coke....I'm drinking tons of water now... hopefully things balance of out for you....!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I've been sober a week and find myself craving things I normally do not eat, especially sweets (ice cream, cookies, etc!) I think I've had 8 PB&Js in the last 3 days. But to Nevertheless' point, I haven't had a beer. If I have to gain a few pounds to deal with later to get sober, so be it!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of people say they craved the sugar & sweets once they quit drinking. I guess I was kind of lucky in the fact that I didn't crave sugar much at all when I quit. I did eat like a horse though for the first month of sobriety. Holy cow did I ever eat, seriously! Probably put on 5-10lbs in that first month because I was tryin' to keep my hands & mind occupied so food seemed like a way to do it lol. I was eating just to be eating in the early part, wasn't even hungry when I was eating.

Happily though I've been changing the way I eat & changed my diet these past few weeks and have lost all the original weight I put on in the start. Kind' a on a whole "body & Mind" change thing these past couple months.

Steve
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm at day 209 and can not stop eating sweets and chocolate. I only started when I stopped drinking and I've never really liked stuff like that, I was always more of a pastry girl. My weight has pretty much stayed the same, but that's probably more due to a digestive condition I have. I even wake up in the middle of the night and have to have a sugar hit before I can sleep again!

Weird.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep, I have been craving the carbs & sweets (especially dark chocolate ;-). If you think about the amount of calories that you use to consume in a night with your drinks it kinda makes sense.

12 bottles of beer = 2,640 calories (12+ on a binge night @ 220 per)
Bar of chocolate = 520 calories (large 100 gram bar of Chocolate)
Not drinking = Feeling good about myself & not feeling like a complete hungover mess all day & night along with all of the other negative affects = Priceless

I will stick with my chocolate myself ;-) I have also been more active since quitting, being sober has many advantages.

Cheers,

NB

Sources:

Calorie Counter - Chocolate and Sweets

Calories In Beer Chart How Many Calories In Alcohol Beer
Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have also craved sweets throughout my quit. I find that having a piece of fruit like Pineapple or strawberries will kill the craving. They are "sugary" fruits but muuuch better for you then refined sugar.

CJ